General Etiquette > Life...in general

Returning containers.

<< < (4/4)

squeakers:

--- Quote from: sparksals on March 30, 2013, 12:47:44 AM ---I'm confused.  In one message you said you received an email.from MIL and in another you said she doesn't use email except for work.   Can't you respond to the email she originally sent?

--- End quote ---

Easter is this week-end so I am guessing that, no, the OP can't email her MIL back because MIL won't get the email until Monday or so when she goes back to work.

If the OP had immediately emailed her back MIL might have received the email today (if it wasn't sent at the end of the day her time).. but the OP chose to wait and ask us what to do.

I'd just buy a couple cheap plastic sets and take them with to the dinner.  I doubt MIL wants her plastic stuff back but if she does there will be enough to replace and get some goodies to come home.

My MIL always sends us home with goodies in various containers.  The first few years we were married I always washed and sent them back to her. Then I talked with her to apologize about having not sent a few back and she told me to not worry about it.. she'd been buying them (containers and pie tins) at garage sales and that from then on I could just keep them. 

hobish:

--- Quote from: SiotehCat on March 29, 2013, 07:26:46 PM ---For Easter and Thanksgiving, MIL cooks a huge meal and invites us over. DH's Aunt and Uncle are also invited.

She always makes way too much food because she likes to send the left overs home with us. She saves all kinds of plastic containers and brings them all out to pack the left overs in. A few of them are plastic gladware containers, some cool whip tubs, sour cream containers, "to go" containers from restaurants, etc...

We like her cooking, but we could do without so many left overs. Most of it gets thrown out because I can't eat the same thing 5 days in a row. The containers get reused, but eventually get recycled.

MIL issued the usual Easter invitation this year and we have accepted. Dinner is Sunday. We received an email yesterday asking us to bring back the containers. We don't have the containers.

I did buy a new set of pyrex food storage containers.

We wont get a chance to speak to Mil before Sunday. I am sure that she wants us to bring the containers back to use them for our leftovers, but there is the slight chance that she just wants her plastic containers back.

Should I bring my glass set and give them to her? Or bring the set and assume its to put our leftovers in? Should I bring a plastic set and give it to her?

My In laws are well off, but my MIL recycles or collects everything. I would hate to gift her a plastic set because I know she would see it as a waste. I also wouldn't tell her that we bought any of those containers specifically for the event. She would think it silly. Maybe I should just eat a lot of chinese takeout until Sunday.

--- End quote ---

I'm sorry, i am laughing a little because that sounds like Gish's sister, and like my parents. Well off or not, reusable plastic containers are good to trade around after family feasts.
I only have a few pyrex glass containers and i tend to use them more than share them.

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: squeakers on March 30, 2013, 01:21:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: sparksals on March 30, 2013, 12:47:44 AM ---I'm confused.  In one message you said you received an email.from MIL and in another you said she doesn't use email except for work.   Can't you respond to the email she originally sent?

--- End quote ---

Easter is this week-end so I am guessing that, no, the OP can't email her MIL back because MIL won't get the email until Monday or so when she goes back to work.

If the OP had immediately emailed her back MIL might have received the email today (if it wasn't sent at the end of the day her time).. but the OP chose to wait and ask us what to do.

--- End quote ---

All of their emails get sent to DH, not me. So, DH received the email on Thursday and was just too busy to respond. Also, I'm not sure he realizes that we no longer have the containers.

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: kudeebee on March 29, 2013, 11:35:51 PM ---I agree with buying some inexpensive plastic containers and taking them.  If she doesn't want them, use them to bring home your leftovers.

--- End quote ---

Plastic containers it is then. Thanks everyone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version