Author Topic: S/O Inappropriate Job Interviewees - Can't Help your Appearance  (Read 9046 times)

Lynda_34

Re: S/O Inappropriate Job Interviewees - Can't Help your Appearance
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 11:14:41 PM »
I'm 5'3" not considered a little person, however, I need to ask people to get things off upper shelves for me in grocery stores and especially at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Just hang in there and do take advantage of job training opportunities.
I'd suggest something like accounting or bookkeeping.

I'm not being funny, accountants can be independently employed and make very good money.  Another consideration might be in banking.  Talk to the job training site and see if they can help you if you have any interest in this type of employment.

Good luck.

TylerBelle

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 12:10:43 PM »
Though it often feels like it, I know I'm not the only one who has the trouble reaching the high shelves. I wish stores would stock more merchandise vertical than horizontal.

I wish I'd followed what a friend of mine did as she took accounting classes starting in high school and has done quite well in her career. Along with the job training places, some of the nearby colleges have like six-week or eight-week courses in computing, accounting, data entry, etc., and I would like to look into those, too, especially during the summer.

I gotta say again how much I appreciate all of this. It's helped so much! :D
Always be on the lookout for wonder. --E.B. White

DavidH

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
As I was reading your posts, a couple of things struck me.  One is that if you are introverted and shy, that will be a huge barrier to a job in retail since a lot of that type of job is talking to the public and selling to them.  I would suggest that this might not be the best fit for you.

On the other hand, a clerical job may be very well suited to someone who is shy.  I don't really know why your height would be an issue for most clerical jobs unless it involved a lot of filing or carrying heavy things that they did not think you could manage.  I think the advice to address questions head on is a good one.  For example, if the job description says you must be able to carry 50lbs, then make sure they know that you can do that.  A step stool sounds easy enough, but I'd still mention that you can work in a standard office with no more accommodation than a non-roling chair and a step stool if that's the case, since they may have visions of having to redesign the place to accommodate your height.  One has to make reasonable accommodation or wording to that effect, so it will help to try and describe what that really means.

One issue that hasn't been mentioned may be how you present yourself.  I think it is particularly important for you to present yourself professionally and confidently since that will send the message to judge you and not your height.  It may be that interviewers are taking the combination of nervous, shy, and short stature and seeing a lack of confidence or seeing you as too young.  Consider your appearance when you interview.  Make sure that your clothes fit well and are professional in appearance.  Some styles may work better than others for your body shape.   It's not about being taller, but making sure you come across as confident, professional, and an asset to whatever business you are interviewing with. 

If you are working with an agency, you might try asking them for feedback from your interview.  It is unlikely someone would say they didn't hire you because of your height even if that was the reason, but the feedback may still be useful if they point out areas you could work on.

As an aside, I've seen a not particularly well trained man in a professional looking suit with every hair in place make a much better impression than a better trained and more experienced individual in an ill fitting suit with a bad haircut.  The look shouldn't matter, but it still forms part of the whole picture. 

TylerBelle

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
I will say I prefer clerical over retail. One, I'm really not the best salesperson, and then dealing with the general public can be difficult enough, but when you're outwardly different makes it all the more fun. There are other parts of retail I do like though. Such as I've been trained a bit in visual merchandising, and have worked with stocking, and the rearranging of merchandise throughout stores. (The latter gets feedback from customers. I've found most don't care for things being moved around.)

With appearance as far as attire and the like is something I do try put an effort in it. It's one thing I feel I can control. I know there's a good chance I'm going to be scrutinized for lack of height, but have hope that at least I'm seen as looking nice and presentable. ;D

The feedback in this thread alone has given me, along with great advice and information, such the confidence boosters. I cannot describe how much. For one of my fears has been not just being dismissed due to accommodations for me potential employers may be concerned with, but their not being interested in me by being off-put by me, period. It does happen. Although this in here has shown me that really isn't as major as first feared.

Thanks much! :)

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
Ditto PP who said to practice interview questions (both the questions you'll be expected to answer and the ones you want to ask your potential employer).  I am also introverted and shy and found work in a clerical environment within a very small department of a large corporation.  My problem is I tend to get very nervous and fidget during interviews so I had to make it a point to sit still, cross my legs at the ankle to stop my feet from bouncing, and fold my hands in my lap.

One tip my DH gave me as a question to ask the interviewer is to ask "What can I do to be a better candidate for this position?".  This way, even if you don't get the job, the interview wasn't a complete waste of time as you'll get some sound advice on areas you can improve. 

And good luck!  You seem very well-spoken and articulate.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
You say you get nervous in the interviews (we all do  :P)  but is part of your nerves because you feel you may be judged by your height instead of the articulate, intelligent nice person you are?  The lady we hired came in for her interview so confident in herself as the person she is that it was easy to not see the hearing aids or notice that she was smaller than me (she made me feel statuesque for the first time in my barely 5'3" life!) .  Yes, she needed step stools, but heck, so did I !  There are courses at community colleges that do work on your interview skills..not for any particular career, but just in how you present yourself.  They may help you with your interview confidence (they do mock interviews).  I think if you  go in worrying that they will see your height as a drawback it will make the whole interview tense.  And I agree with other posters who said when they get to the interview part where they say "do you have any questions?", you can gently ask them if they feel your height would be a problem for the position.  You can tell alot from their answer if they are uncomfortable by it or if it will be no biggie.  As far as a career in retail, with some confidence boosting, you would probably be great, but you have to understand that some people will have biases, but that goes for biases against race, gender, and other reasons, but you cannot control what others think or feel, only how you react to it. 

TylerBelle

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »
Oh yes I can get really nervous and I tend to fidget a lot when I'm in unfamiliar situations and have worried that folks will see my height as a drawback right off the bat and thus things can get off to a tense beginning. Though this thread has been a kind of wake up call for me in that I've been shown ways to ease my anxiety along with anyone else's who may have it with me. Also it's been so encouraging to hear the personal stories. I am so grateful :D.