Author Topic: Any hope to save a scalded pan? UPDATE: Saved!  (Read 1581 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Any hope to save a scalded pan? UPDATE: Saved!
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm sure under "stupid stuff we've done" is "left a boiling pan of water on the stove"  ::).

Is there any hope of removing the black, flaky stuff from the bottom of a stainless steel pan?  Or is effort to remove burn > effort needed to simply buy another pan?

I have it soaking in Dawn, maybe that will help?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:22:58 PM by guihong »

random numbers

Re: Any hope to save a scalded pan?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
I've never tried this, but I've read that you can strip a seasoned cast iron pan with oven cleaner. Maybe that would work?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »
I once burned a bunch of rice on my great Calphalon pan. I tried everything--soaking w/ ammonia; soaking w/ dishwasher detergent; simmering w/ water for 3 hours (constantly refilling).

Finally I decided that pan was ruined anyway, and I put it in the oven on self-clean.
The extreme heat warped the handle a little bit, and the silver metal coating of the handle rainbow-ed (finish discolored).

But the pan itself was fine, and I use it to this day.

I don't know if your pan would stand up to that; I only used it when I'd exhausted everything I could think of.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
Try adding a Scoopful of laundry powder, fill about halfway with water and bring to a boil watching carefully as it tends to boil over. Then let it sit. After it cools you might see that the black has lifted or you might have to scrub a little but this could do the trick.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

CakeBeret

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
Try boiling with vinegar and water, then scouring with steel wool.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

JoW

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
Try dish washer detergent about 1/4 inch deep on the bottom, then fill with boiling water, and let it sit like that for 12 hours. 

I know that will remove burned-on food.  I don't know if it will do anything helpful to your pan. 

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 04:33:58 PM »
If all the flaky burnt stuff is gone, don't worry about a stain. The pan is still usable. Many of my stainless steel pots and pans have dark spots on the bottom (okay, I'm admitting that I've burnt stuff many times. ::))

The last seriously burnt pot that I had, I soaked it in a bit of water (about 1/2 inch) with dawn, then let the water come to a boil on the stove-top. Let the water cool a bit, then scrub with an abrasive pad (sponge or scrub brush). Then I ran it through the dishwasher.

The inside bottom is smooth to the touch, but there is a dark stain.

Be very careful with what Toots suggested. It really depends on the type of material your handle on the pot is made of. Calphalon is high-quality cookware. If yours is like mine, a cheaper brand with a hard plastic type of handle, do not do this.

RubyCat

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »
I've had luck with filling the pan halfway
 with water & then sprinkling enough cream of tarter to cover the bottom of the pan, bring it to a boil and then let it cool. It still takes some elbow grease but I've been able to get the black stuff off.

reflection5

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
I've never tried this, but I've read that you can strip a seasoned cast iron pan with oven cleaner. Maybe that would work?

YES!  I used a spray on oven cleaner to rescue a pan and also to remove those brown baking stains from the hand/edgte of glass (Pyrex) roasting pan.  Spray and sit it outside on newspaper for a few hours because the fumes from the oven cleaner are terrible, and dangerous.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:47:25 PM by reflection5 »

gmama

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »
My mom taught me to use baking soda, steel wool, and a LOT of elbow grease.  I've saved a couple of pots that way.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 07:00:52 PM »
Try SOS pads. I use them to clean my copper bottom pots a few times a year. I also have lots of luck with the liquid version of Barkeeper's Friend product.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 07:05:12 PM »
guihong I think this is the week for burning pots. I did the same >.<.... and because of your thread I now have some ideas on how rescue it! Thanks!

edited for clarification purposes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:13:40 PM by Nikko-chan »

blewellyn

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
I swear by the vinegar method.  Bring a solution of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water to boil in the pan, remove it from the heat and let it soak overnight  If it is really really bad I've used hydrogen peroxide or a strong solution of oxyclean.  When you can get to it use a wooden spoon to scrape the burnt stuff off.  Repeat if needed and then scrub with barkeepers friend and those green 3M scrubbers to get the shine back.  I've had a set of good stainless steel pans for 42 years I've used this method on.

B

mmswm

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
I've rescued a few pots by simmering water and a dryer sheet for a couple hours.  Even burned on rice came off effortlessly.  And by burned on, I mean my son forgot about the rice long enough that the rice actually caught fire. (He did the same thing a few months later with grits.  I was unable to rescue the pan).
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Kaypeep

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
I've used Chore Boy copper scouring pad and find it to be a miracle worker on burnt on pots and pans.  It's like the Magic Eraser, it's amazing how the most thick, burnt on stuff just starts to come apart with minimal elbow grease.

http://www.soap.com/p/chore-boy-copper-scouring-pad-63264?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_S&utm_term=SNS-020&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1323205742&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla