Author Topic: Any hope to save a scalded pan? UPDATE: Saved!  (Read 1602 times)

pandabear

Re: Any hope to save a scalded pan?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »

I use Barkeeper's Friend, the powder not the liquid.  Not sure how it will do with a scalded pan, but it lifted burnt spaghetti sauce out if my pot.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:48 PM »
Bon Ami and Barkeeper's Friend work really well sometimes. I also like Magic Erasers. The white flaky stuff might be burned-on mineral deposits, too, so try soaking it in vinegar for a while.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 11:06:28 PM »
My mom taught me to use baking soda, steel wool, and a LOT of elbow grease.  I've saved a couple of pots that way.
You read my mind...or rather your mother did.  I use one of those copper kitchen dish scrubbers with baking soda.  Sometimes just a plastic scrubber with the baking soda works.  I find it doesn't even take that much elbow grease, but maybe mine don't get as burned.  My husband though is famous for burning his tea water in my best pans.   >:(
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Browyn

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
Copper Glow is great too.  I have copper bottomed pans and after 11 years they still look great, and it will clean other metals too and get the brown stains off glass/pyrex baking dishes.

MummySweet

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
Salt and Vinegar with a scrub pad.   Generously pour salt over burnt area.  Pour on vinegar (foaming reaction) scrub and rinse throughly. 

Good luck with whatever method you try!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »
I have also had luck, with baking sheets, with coating it in *bacon grease* and letting it sit, warm, for a day or two. Scrape with a plastic scraper, then wash as normal. Has gotten a layer of burnt off stuff off all the way to the metal.

ETA when I say warm, I mean, I leave it on my gas stove, over the pilot light, so it's warm to the touch but not hot. You might want to try putting in plastic and putting it in a sunny spot if you have an electric range.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
I've rescued a few pots by simmering water and a dryer sheet for a couple hours.  Even burned on rice came off effortlessly.  And by burned on, I mean my son forgot about the rice long enough that the rice actually caught fire. (He did the same thing a few months later with grits.  I was unable to rescue the pan).

My first attempt always begins by placing a dryer sheet in the pot, covering and letting it sit for ~24 hours.  Then I move on to boiling diluted dish soap and oven cleaner.
The days are long but the years are short.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »
Just the other day I had moderate success with this method:
I put about 3/4 inch of water in the pot. I sprinkled in about 1/3 of a cup (it was a 3 quart pot) of baking soda. I swished it around and brought it to a boil. Then I turned off the heat and let it cool. Then I poured off the water (the baking soda was a thick paste) and used a scrubbing sponge, for about 3-5 minutes. All the black came off, but admittedly it doesn't look new... but then I had scorched it about 3 times previously and this was the first time I'd tried to actually do anything about it.

And my hands felt super soft afterwards  :D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 11:13:04 AM »
Putting it in the hottest programme in the dishwasher can loosen it so you can then clean it off.

Otherwise put in a little laundry detergent than add boiling water and bring to the boil again.

I suspect that these methods work because of the different expansion rates of the metal and burned stuff.
NE England

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
Putting it in the hottest programme in the dishwasher can loosen it so you can then clean it off.

So long as you don't run it through the dry cycle. That will just bake it on again.

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Any hope to save a scalded pan? UPDATE: Saved!
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »
Hi all,

Just to say that a Magic Eraser and lots of elbow grease did the trick!  It's not perfect, but perfectly functional ;).  Thanks!

reflection5

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 04:39:48 AM »
Yay!   8)

Nikko-chan

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 04:42:12 AM »
Yay! On another note: Those of you that mentioned barkeepers friend.... where do you get it and what section of the store can it be found in?

RubyCat

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:14 AM »
Yay! On another note: Those of you that mentioned barkeepers friend.... where do you get it and what section of the store can it be found in?

I got mine at Walmart. I found it near the bathroom & kitchen cleaning products. I think it was on the same shelf as the Comet.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:01 AM »

I got mine at Walmart. I found it near the bathroom & kitchen cleaning products. I think it was on the same shelf as the Comet.

Thanks!