Author Topic: leaving me with very little options a week before holidays....  (Read 9930 times)

Alynne1113

In December I booked a trip for my husband and I for early April, at this time I asked my Mother & Step Father if they could watch one of my dogs, my mom assured me it would not be a problem.
I confirmed about 3 weeks ago that they were still taking her. At the time my mother put a down payment on a puppy that she is going to pick up next week. I confirmed twice since she put the deposit down that she would still be able to take my dog, she told me it wouldn't be a problem.

I called them today to let them know what time I will be there next week to drop my dog off, to which my step father replies, we discussed it and decided we cannot take your dog. I told him I guess I can try and find someone else to take her...he asked why my real father couldnt take her? (he doesn't have a fenced yard and she will run away, he is taking my one dog that wont run away though. my father doesn't believe in tying dogs up, and will not tie her up no matter how much I ask, so to be safe I don't leave her there) I replied that It wouldn't work but I guess I can try and find someone else, he then said something about it not really being his problem and they got a new puppy so they aren't watching my dog. I was upset, I didnt really say much else and ended the call a few minutes later.

Do I have a right to be mad? Should I say something to my mother about how they left me in a really tough situation with a week before my holidays?

If they would have told me weeks ago when I asked I could have found a reputible dog sitter or kennel, but with it being a long weekend and having to work all week I dont know what I am going to do.

miranova

Re: leaving me with very little options a week before holidays....
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
Your stepfather does not sound like a very nice person.  No, it's not his problem, unless he had agreed to do it, which he did.  In which case, it is his problem because now he has shown himself to be completely irresponsible and undependable.  I would talk to your mom later, in case she doesn't even know what happened, but I'd make other arrangements for the dog in the future, now that you know that your stepfather doesn't want to do it.

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »
Have you talked to your step father about dogsitting before this conversation?

I would speak to your mother and ask her whats going on. Maybe your stepfather is just having a really bad day and taking it out on you.

Alynne1113

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 06:08:12 PM »
Have you talked to your step father about dogsitting before this conversation?

I would speak to your mother and ask her whats going on. Maybe your stepfather is just having a really bad day and taking it out on you.

About 6 weeks ago I went out of town with my Step Father & my mother for a few days to visit family and we discussed it then. They never said anything about getting another dog or not being able to watch her at that time.

Alynne1113

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 06:12:52 PM »
Actually, come to think of it, 6 weeks ago when I went away they told me they would return me to the town I live in (over an hour away) and that day my step father changed his mind and my husband had to come pick me up, so apparently I just cant trust they will do anything they say they will. When I mentioned that my husband had dropped me off over an hour away, instead of me taking a vehicle to meet then because they said they were dropping me off he acted like it wasn't his problem too.
I haven't spent much time with my family in the past 10 years so, and now I am remembering why!

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 06:16:50 PM »
I find your stepfather's behavior baffling because I assume that he will eventually want a dog sitter.  You would have been a logical choice.

You probably have already thought about this but does your vet board dogs? You might also want to check with your local PetSmart.  They may have a Pet Hotel.

Alynne1113

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »
I find your stepfather's behavior baffling because I assume that he will eventually want a dog sitter.  You would have been a logical choice.

You probably have already thought about this but does your vet board dogs? You might also want to check with your local PetSmart.  They may have a Pet Hotel.
Great suggestions, I live in the country outside of a small town and my vet is a mobile vet (they even have a mobile xray and surgery unit) so that will not work, there is a major city a couple hours away, I assume they will have a petsmart and will try and contact them, thanks!

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 08:53:39 PM »

Great suggestions, I live in the country outside of a small town and my vet is a mobile vet (they even have a mobile xray and surgery unit) so that will not work, there is a major city a couple hours away, I assume they will have a petsmart and will try and contact them, thanks!

Try Google as well.  I live out in the sticks, but as it turns out, there is a kennel right at the end of my road.  It's actually a rather good place for a kennel because there is lots of land both for the kennel building and also for the play yard.

Cami

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »
Why would you think you don't have a right to be mad?

Someone you trusted told you -- repeatedly -- that they would do an important task for you. With little advance warning they have backed out of their promise and don't seem to care about the problems they are causing. 

I cannot fathom why a person would not be mad unless they have been trained to accept this behavior as normal and acceptable.

I wish you good luck in finding a dog sitter.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:08:13 PM »
Why would you think you don't have a right to be mad?

Someone you trusted told you -- repeatedly -- that they would do an important task for you. With little advance warning they have backed out of their promise and don't seem to care about the problems they are causing. 

I cannot fathom why a person would not be mad unless they have been trained to accept this behavior as normal and acceptable.

I wish you good luck in finding a dog sitter.

I agree with this.  Of course you're angry and frustrated and disappointed and concerned about now where you will leave your dog!!  They made a promise, you checked a couple of times to see if that promise was still viable and you were assured there wouldn't be any problem.  This isn't like one of them suddenly came down with a very serious, unpreventable illness that was not known at the time they promised they'd keep your dog.

Good luck finding somewhere reasonably nearby with a great reputation for dog sitting.

You deserve much better than this!!   >:(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:23:44 PM by gramma dishes »

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »
Ack, what a bad surprise! I would definitely call your vet even if it's a mobile vet and ask if he/she has any suggestions for pet sitters. In my experience vets often know of people who do this.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »
Yes, I would be mad and I would be discussing it with my mom, but not to guilt her into sitting your dog, because I would not trust them now to do so.

They have been telling you for weeks that they can watch your dog, or it seems your mom has.  Not sure if step father has also stated so.  Now, a week before you are to leave, they say no and it is not their problem. 

Honestly, though, if I was going to board one dog, I would board both.  They might be more comfortable together.  Also, if they do not have their kennel cough shot, they need to get this before you board them. 

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:22 PM »
POD to all the PPs.

Sounds like your Step Dad needs to not be your problem, and you should take whatever steps you need to make sure he isn't. :-\ Let him reap what he's sown. >:(

Good luck finding a place to put your pup, and hope you and hubby have a fun and stress-free trip! ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

secretrebel

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 11:45:50 AM »
Do I have a right to be mad? Should I say something to my mother about how they left me in a really tough situation with a week before my holidays?

You do have a right to be mad.

I'd say to your mom that you were disappointed that she let you down after repeated confirmations that everything would be fine.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

Try Google as well.  I live out in the sticks, but as it turns out, there is a kennel right at the end of my road.  It's actually a rather good place for a kennel because there is lots of land both for the kennel building and also for the play yard.

Ask your vet about options as well.  You can also look into a pet sitting service. We've used these on a number of occasions. You give someone a key (yes, make sure that they are bonded, not just some random person) and they come daily to feed and play with your pet.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain