Author Topic: Disapearing threads  (Read 1688 times)

postalslave

Disapearing threads
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:22:39 AM »
Yesterday I commented on a post in the "Life in General" section. Some didn't agree with me and I respect that. Today when I try to find that thread, it seems to have disappeared. When I check my "recent posts" anything I posted on that particular thread was not listed and there was a little "pop up" explaining that I was seeing only topics I was allowed to see.

My question is, have I been "blocked" from that thread and if so, why?

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: Disapearing threads
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 08:28:31 AM »
Sometimes the mods will pull a thread for review, or to give people time to cool down. When that happens, the thread disappears for everyone except mods. You haven't been blocked, the thread has just been moved to the mods-only area.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

postalslave

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »

That makes me feel better, it was a really interesting thread and I was worried I might have offended some posters.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:26:46 AM »
TY for asking about that thread because I was wondering too.  And you added a different POV, nothing wrong with it  ;)

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
I'm always disappointed when a thread disappears.  I can understand a thread getting locked, but when it disappears, I've never seen it come back.   

I was actually expecting for it to get locked :( (I've been here long enough to see the signs), but not disappear.  Sad, because there were some interesting posts from both sides.

postalslave

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
yeah, its frustrating. This level of censorship on a blog/ forum about etiquette its almost ironic...

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
yeah, its frustrating. This level of censorship on a blog/ forum about etiquette its almost ironic...

I pretty much trust the mods, and often the things that are censored are stuff that I agree with, given the clearly stated rules about language, s3x, politics, and legal and medical advice. It should be a given that posters are not accusatory and rude to each other, which gets a thread locked, too.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 11:44:19 AM »

It isn't censorship IMO, it was the thread getting heated (and I was shocked that it wasn't locked by the 4th page!) and sometimes getting a little off topic.  I was surprised to see it disappear all together, and maybe the OP asked for that, but when I see a thread locked (had one of my own locked) I am usually in complete agreement with the mods.  Actually locking the thread preserves etiquette as it stops the arguing and we can step back and take a deep breath.

postalslave

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
I have a different experience. When ever I comment on the main blog and it is not in complete agreement of "Admin" my post does not go up. This isn't anything "controversial" IMO but more like, I don't agree, here's another point of view.

I've spoken/ chatted with other members who have the same situation as I do so at least I know I'm not being singled out. Shrug.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »

It's not censorship if you sign on here and agree to abide by a certain set of rules. If you dislike the moderation policy, nobody is compelling you to read or post here. There are plenty of places on the 'net with looser policies.

I found your complaint about censorship and etiquette to be rather ironic. The forum rules are in place to help maintain decorum -- etiquette, if you will. As a veteran of this forum, I've seen many, many times where things rapidly got out of hand and people were hurt. To help avoid that we all voluntarily give up a bit of our free speech.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jones

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
Can I ask the subject of the disappeared thread being discussed? Just feel like I missed something.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
I have a different experience. When ever I comment on the main blog and it is not in complete agreement of "Admin" my post does not go up. This isn't anything "controversial" IMO but more like, I don't agree, here's another point of view.

I've spoken/ chatted with other members who have the same situation as I do so at least I know I'm not being singled out. Shrug.

I'm going to give you a friendly heads-up here. If you have an issue with EHellDame or the moderators, please contact them privately. Making a public stink never plays out well.

As an aside, I've read plenty of comments on the blog disagreeing with EHellDame; that being the case, you might want to review how you word your comments and present your arguments.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
Can I ask the subject of the disappeared thread being discussed? Just feel like I missed something.
me too!

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Art is right.  If you have a concern about a specific instance of the moderation policy, the most effective way of dealing with it is to contact one of the moderators via PM.

As for "censorship",  threads and posts get deleted for a variety of reasons.  Some subjects are banned outright for self-explanatory reasons, but there are also housekeeping issues.  For example, a topic might get picked up by a trolling group from outside the forum.  In that case, a thread or post will be deleted to discourage the trolls.  There are other issues as well.  That's why a generic post to the forum about disappearing threads rarely results in a satisfactory answer.