Author Topic: Teachers & sub plans  (Read 2865 times)

Luci45

• Super Hero!
Re: Teachers & sub plans
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2013, 11:51:11 AM »
I don't think that you can legally include information about students' health conditions or learning disabilities, as doing so violates privacy laws.

Our schools don't allow information about health conditions, but the needs were addressed.

'Allow Janie to use the restroom anytime.'

'Do not touch Devon, even a friendly shoulder pat.' (At least that kind of touching was still allowed when I worked.)

'Be sure Jonathon sees the nurse at 10:30.'

As for safety proceedures, they were district-wide, so I only had to read through the manual once, and the students usually knew the peculiarties of their school and it was obvious what the other teachers were doing.

MurPl1

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:04:32 AM »
Subs don't want to read a giant novel 10 minutes before class starts, do they? Many procedures are so complicated that to get them exactly right would take a very detailed explanation.

Anything life-threatening, or very pertinent to the day's activities, I would mention, but otherwise, subs can do things however they'd like in my room. In fact, it's better if they do it their own way, then they're not relying on the kids for the correct information.

And usually, the teacher next door will know anything else they need, and admin's not far away.

Kindergartners were the MOST reliable on giving info.  I'd have a note saying go over "day, date, weather" and boy if you did "weather" before "day" they'd sure let you know it was out of order!  They love their routines :)

CakeEater

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:55 AM »
Subs don't want to read a giant novel 10 minutes before class starts, do they? Many procedures are so complicated that to get them exactly right would take a very detailed explanation.

Anything life-threatening, or very pertinent to the day's activities, I would mention, but otherwise, subs can do things however they'd like in my room. In fact, it's better if they do it their own way, then they're not relying on the kids for the correct information.

And usually, the teacher next door will know anything else they need, and admin's not far away.

Kindergartners were the MOST reliable on giving info.  I'd have a note saying go over "day, date, weather" and boy if you did "weather" before "day" they'd sure let you know it was out of order!  They love their routines :)

Ahh, I only taught 10-12 year olds, and subbed for highschoolers, and with them, I thought it was better to be able to say, 'Well, I know your teacher does it differently, but today, we're going to do it this way.' Means they really can't fool you.  ;)