Author Topic: Irritating caller 2 minutes before closing time  (Read 6031 times)

YummyMummy66

Re: Irritating caller 2 minutes before closing time
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
Honestly, I think you could have shut Chatty Cathy down earlier by not being so chatty yourself.

When, she stated, "Why is she gone for the day?", all you needed to do was reply in a way that does not initiate further replies and "Would you like me to take a message?" repeated again.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »
I usually tell people that my boss is unavailable or away from his desk and that I'll take a message.  If they ask where he is I respond with "I don't have access to that information, may I take a message?"

The more information you give people like Chatty Cathy, the more they want to chat.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 04:55:52 PM »
I actually tried to make that point that in ANY situation (not just in situations like this), you should just tell people that someone is unavailable.

Other people really don't need or deserve the info that your boss is in a meeting, has left already, is at lunch, etc.

And yes, you can end the call--and control it in the meantime, as Art has suggested.
POD
The first time I'll give the caller the option to leave a message.  The second time I'll say "I'll be sure to let him/her know that you've called.  I hope you have a nice day/evening/weekend" in a bright & friendly voice and the call is over. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

reflection5

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 05:08:50 PM »
Looking at this again, I agree more with artk2002 and YummyMummy66.

OP, you volunteered too much information, which led to the caller taking it and running with it:

Chatty Cathy: Can I talk to Boss, please?
Me: Boss is already gone for the day, may I take a message?
CC: Why is she gone for the day? It's not time to go home yet!
Me: *chuckle* I guess when you're the boss, you have those privileges. [Note that this is a common banter in our industry and my "when you're the boss" line is approved by my boss.]

Common banter or not, you escalated it, imo.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 05:10:51 PM by reflection5 »

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 03:55:15 AM »
Looking at this again, I agree more with artk2002 and YummyMummy66.

OP, you volunteered too much information, which led to the caller taking it and running with it:

Chatty Cathy: Can I talk to Boss, please?
Me: Boss is already gone for the day, may I take a message?
CC: Why is she gone for the day? It's not time to go home yet!
Me: *chuckle* I guess when you're the boss, you have those privileges. [Note that this is a common banter in our industry and my "when you're the boss" line is approved by my boss.]

Common banter or not, you escalated it, imo.

I agree, but I guess the OP had no way of knowing it would lead to a tirade about how hard Chatty Cathy works. Most normal people would respond to that last line with "OK then, can you have Boss call me on Monday?" I think once CC launched into how amazing she was for being up since O'Dark Thirty, it was time to cut her off and say, "OK, I'll let Boss know you called. Bye"

blueyzca01

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
Another option is to train yourself not to answer the phone between 4:57 and 5:00; that's when these calls come in, and it's NEVER a quick call.

I used to work for Enterprise RAC, and we had to answer the phone at 5:59, but at 6:00 we would yell at a co-worker if we could tell they were reaching for a ringing phone.
Because any call that came in right at 6:00 usually meant a customer pickup from Timbuktu**

Now, when I hear the phone ringing at 4:57, I let it go to voicemail.  I've saved myself from a ton of hassles. 

**for those unfamiliar, Enterprise's slogan is "We'll pick you up!" 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

reflection5

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 04:59:25 PM »
Another option is to train yourself not to answer the phone between 4:57 and 5:00; that's when these calls come in, and it's NEVER a quick call.

I used to work for Enterprise RAC, and we had to answer the phone at 5:59, but at 6:00 we would yell at a co-worker if we could tell they were reaching for a ringing phone.
Because any call that came in right at 6:00 usually meant a customer pickup from Timbuktu**

Now, when I hear the phone ringing at 4:57, I let it go to voicemail.  I've saved myself from a ton of hassles. 

This might upset some bosses and clients.  “The office is open until 5:00.  Quitting time is 5:00, and you’re paid to answer the phone even if it rings at 4:59”.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
I agree with the overall sentiments in this thread but I just wanted to add that personally, I say that "So and So is out of the office right now" as opposed to "unavailable".  I don't know why, but I am just more comfortable with the former than the latter.  Just offering another wording option for you there!

I have found that "out of the office" works better for dealing with people than "unavailable." I think it's because some people hear that as "He's here but doesn't want to speak to you."
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 10:41:29 AM »

You may save yourself a ton of hassles, but what might you be costing your company?

blueyzca01

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
Well, considering that I now work for a company that requires me to clock out at 5:00pm, and I've gotten verbal warnings for clocking out at 5:04pm without obtaining prior permission...I'd say I'm fine with it.

I've answered the phone at 4:55, and proceeded to help the caller with something important to him (not necessarily critical for the company), then tried to find my supervisor to let her know that I would be clocking out past 5:00.  Couldn't find her, clocked out at 5:04 (because incorrect timecard reporting is grounds for termination), then received a verbal warning. 

No thanks, I'm done with that.

Minmom3

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
I think, purely my personal, non management opinion - if companies are going to be punitive about time card punches like that, then they have to expect that kind of cut off prior to closing time.  Nobody on a time clock should EVER work off the clock, we don't work that way in the U.S..  To tell somebody they must be fully helpful and answer the phones up to the minute of closing, BUT don't clock out late or you'll get slapped - that means that either somebody who never answered that phone from Chatty Cathy at the last minute of the day and does not understand how the caller can go on and on and on drafted that rule - OR they want the employee to work for free, and the time of free labor is well in the past. 

1)  I can answer the phone when it rings and deal with the person on the other end with patience and forbearance, and clock out when the call is over and handled.
2) I can stop answering the phone a few minutes before TIME, and clock out on time, and keep my behind out of hot water with management or corporate.

I cannot do both.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

blueyzca01

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »
Exactly!!  I couldn't have worded it better myself.