General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Facebook spammer

(1/2) > >>

AylaM:
I rarely use Facebook and my Facebook network is rather small.  Basically all my relatives that are there and a few friends.  I don't like to block people out because I want to know what is going on with them.  And because I'm on so rarely I keep the email alert set up so that I'm notified if something happens.  Which on average is about once a week or so.

Lately one cousin - with a baby - has taken to tagging pictures of her baby with everybody's name.  So people get a "Cousin tagged you"  and they look to see what they were tagged in a find a picture of the baby wherein everyone's name is added.  Then they may or may not comment.

It isn't unusual anymore to receive 25-30+ emails every single time she posts a picture (which is all the time) so my inbox looks like this:

Person commented on a photo you're tagged in
Cousin tagged a photo of you

And then I'll go untag myself.

I don't want to block her because I do want to be keep up with her.  But I don't want to get spammed daily.  Can I just demand she stops the next time this happens?

And if push comes to shove I'll find a way to stop it on my end.  Even if that means blocking her.  Because this is very annoying.  Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

RingTailedLemur:
You can change the settings so you don't get the emails.

Minmom3:
Pretty sure you can ALSO set it so nobody can tag you but you...

AylaM:
Can you turn off the email notifications for just one person?  Or turn off just one type of notification?  I've looking into trying that but wasn't able to figure it out.  It is too useful to me to turn off all of the notifications, so I'd block her before I turned them off.

I didn't know about the tagging thing, so I've set it so that I can review the tags first.  Hopefully that will help.

Queen of Clubs:

--- Quote from: Minmom3 on March 31, 2013, 12:24:46 PM ---Pretty sure you can ALSO set it so nobody can tag you but you...

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, Facebook's changed that setting.  Now, you get tagged (along with the eleventy-one notifications of tag, comment, comment, etc.) but it's not added to your timeline until you've reviewed it.  At which point, you can remove the tag, unfollow the post, and hide it from your timeline.

I've got a friend who did this *all* the time and it drove me nuts.  She'd even tag me on photos other people posted!  Not photos of me, btw - photos of things she decided I'd find interesting.  After I had trouble removing my tag from one photo, I asked her to remove it and she hasn't done it since.  Before that it was umpteen times a week.

As you can tell, I find it annoying and irritating to be tagged in photos in which I don't appear.  I hope your cousin stops soon, OP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version