Author Topic: Facebook spammer  (Read 1341 times)

AylaM

Facebook spammer
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
I rarely use Facebook and my Facebook network is rather small.  Basically all my relatives that are there and a few friends.  I don't like to block people out because I want to know what is going on with them.  And because I'm on so rarely I keep the email alert set up so that I'm notified if something happens.  Which on average is about once a week or so.

Lately one cousin - with a baby - has taken to tagging pictures of her baby with everybody's name.  So people get a "Cousin tagged you"  and they look to see what they were tagged in a find a picture of the baby wherein everyone's name is added.  Then they may or may not comment.

It isn't unusual anymore to receive 25-30+ emails every single time she posts a picture (which is all the time) so my inbox looks like this:

Person commented on a photo you're tagged in
Cousin tagged a photo of you

And then I'll go untag myself.

I don't want to block her because I do want to be keep up with her.  But I don't want to get spammed daily.  Can I just demand she stops the next time this happens?

And if push comes to shove I'll find a way to stop it on my end.  Even if that means blocking her.  Because this is very annoying.  Unless anyone has any other suggestions.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Facebook spammer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:09:23 PM »
You can change the settings so you don't get the emails.

Minmom3

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »
Pretty sure you can ALSO set it so nobody can tag you but you...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

AylaM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
Can you turn off the email notifications for just one person?  Or turn off just one type of notification?  I've looking into trying that but wasn't able to figure it out.  It is too useful to me to turn off all of the notifications, so I'd block her before I turned them off.

I didn't know about the tagging thing, so I've set it so that I can review the tags first.  Hopefully that will help.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:01:06 PM »
Pretty sure you can ALSO set it so nobody can tag you but you...

Unfortunately, Facebook's changed that setting.  Now, you get tagged (along with the eleventy-one notifications of tag, comment, comment, etc.) but it's not added to your timeline until you've reviewed it.  At which point, you can remove the tag, unfollow the post, and hide it from your timeline.

I've got a friend who did this *all* the time and it drove me nuts.  She'd even tag me on photos other people posted!  Not photos of me, btw - photos of things she decided I'd find interesting.  After I had trouble removing my tag from one photo, I asked her to remove it and she hasn't done it since.  Before that it was umpteen times a week.

As you can tell, I find it annoying and irritating to be tagged in photos in which I don't appear.  I hope your cousin stops soon, OP.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
 Tell her you get a notification that she has posted pictures and you don't need to be tagged in them to see them and that the you are tagged and comment notifications are flooding your e-mail and notifications.

The only time I tag someone who is not in the pictures is when I post pictures of the kids in the family. The parents decided they don't mind us all posting pic - they just want to be tagged so they know about it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

reflection5

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »
I had a similar problem several months ago, and IIRC there was an option to hide (not block) the person's posts.  I just hovered the mouse over their name and clicked hide.  You could also 'unhide' if you changed your mind later.

laceandbits

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »
Perhaps the first thing you should do is to ask her nicely not to include you in tagged posts.  Demand implies that you would approach her in a less than friendly manner and I think would just upset everyone.  This might be one of those times where you write the email and sleep on it before you send. 

Another thing you could do is to find out if some of the others who are at a similar distance from your cousin (relationship-wise, not geographically!) also find the tagging irritating.  If they do, you could put your carefully crafted polite request to stop tagging on her wall so everyone else can see it, and if they are watching for it, the others who are also irritated by it can post to say me too, me too.  If enough join in she ought to get the message.

The final option if nothing else works is to block her for the time being and as she probably won't know you have, don't worry about it.

SheltieMom

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 09:06:16 PM »
If you point to a person's name without clicking, a box will pop up with a FRIEND button. Point to that button and click on SETTINGS. You can turn off COMMENTS & LIKES, GAMES, or anything else you don't want to see on your feed. I've done this with every friend I have, except a very few. It really cuts down on the junk I don't want to see.
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!