News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• February 22, 2017, 02:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another restaurant issue re: people who sit sideways at the bar  (Read 1919 times)

Maria16

Another restaurant issue re: people who sit sideways at the bar
« on: January 30, 2017, 02:02:18 PM »
Perhaps I have been disproportionately annoyed by this phenomen burn i consider it rude when people misuse their ChaiR/stool at a restaurant bar to sit sideways. Bar seating is specifically measured and configured with the idea that patrons will sit forward in their seats. The space between chairs is limited and communal in the sense that if I get out of my chair, then I will occupy the entire space, briefly. People seem to think that if they turn their ChaiR to the side, or their entire body to the side, as chairs with backs do allow this, then they are taking up. O more space than they would if using the ChaiR properly. If the restaurant/bar isn't crowded, of course it is a non issue. When nearly every seat is occupied, it creates line seats that almost can't be used while still preserving the designated spacing.  I hope explaine this well. I'm just mysteries by people who think having their body in the space between chairs does not affect others like a domino affect or worse if you are next to one them.

I don't ever say anything though I may use wordless communication with the bartender so that she may ask others to shift, if absolutely necessary.  But shouldn't folks have more awareness of when their body takes up more than its allotted share?  There are many variations of this issue, including when people treat bar seating as flexible spreading out their chairs, etc. Again, a nonissue when the space would go unoccupied but that's rarely the case in NY. I also have no issue, if someone is misusing a ChaiR, for example with their purse, and it's the last seat but when she sees me or I ask if it is taken, they immediately remove it.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: Another restaurant issue re: people who sit sideways at the bar
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:27 PM »
So your question is whether people should be more aware of their surroundings than you think they are? Since you think they are unaware, my answer is yes.

However, I don't think people are doing this because they are unaware, but rather because bar areas are frequently poorly designed, with too little space to move and too many seats. I want to be able to look at my friends when I talk to them, and swivel space should be provided -- at least enough to wriggle sideways out of the stool rather than trying to push back from the bar, which can get precarious in a tall stool or chair.

Side note: Autocorrect seems to have capitalized the R in chair on your whole post. It might be nice to fix that for future readers.

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 02:46:45 PM »
I do find what you describe annoying, but luckily I haven't come across it so much. What I find more common is when groups of two people leave one seat open between them, so when the bar fills up, you're left with 2 or 3 single seats that are then unusable by incoming groups. Sometimes the bartender will ask people to slide down so that these single seats can be usable. If they don't, that's when I find people sitting in orientations other than facing the bar. They sit sideways or outwards so that they can converse with their friend/partner who doesn't have a seat.

Maria16

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »
So your question is whether people should be more aware of their surroundings than you think they are? Since you think they are unaware, my answer is yes.

However, I don't think people are doing this because they are unaware, but rather because bar areas are frequently poorly designed, with too little space to move and too many seats. I want to be able to look at my friends when I talk to them, and swivel space should be provided -- at least enough to wriggle sideways out of the stool rather than trying to push back from the bar, which can get precarious in a tall stool or chair.

Side note: Autocorrect seems to have capitalized the R in chair on your whole post. It might be nice to fix that for future readers.

But then shouldn't you sit at a table? If I eat with DH at the bar, we occasionally can twist the top half of our bodies or look over at each other to acknowledge we are listening, etc. you have a point where the stools twist so there may be an assumption that positioning one's body at any direction in the swivel is fair game, and you may be right.  I suppose I'm not describing swivel chairs then but just stools with a back and open sides/armrests where the person actually creates a swivel situation with their body or turns the chair to the side. This latter method is annoying bc the back of their ChaiR inevitably backs up almost against me, depriving me of the small gap and when I get up I have to get their attention bc they so engrossed in their fascinating story that they don't realize how their body is sprawled out.

chigger

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:36:19 PM »
I agree with borecore. I also think it's totally normal for people sitting at a bar to swivel either way. Noone really seems to mind, just a quick excuse me and you can get out of your seat.

Maria16

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
I agree with borecore. I also think it's totally normal for people sitting at a bar to swivel either way. Noone really seems to mind, just a quick excuse me and you can get out of your seat.

Well.  I went to the restaurant I had in mind when I wrote this just to confirm certain details. I do accept that no one else seems as annoyed about this problem as I do so I need to get over t to some extent. However, as I suspected. The bar chairs have backs and no sides, nor do they swivel. The chairs  have 4 legs. This finding may make me sound even crazier but it still annoyed me. People are just swiveling their bodies of the side of the chair or just turning the chair to the side so that they take up twice as much counter space as they would otherwise. With 3 people dining together with the center person facing forward and the 2 outer people turned in this manner, they just take up too much space. For those folks I suggest a table or sitting at the corner/curve of the bar so you can face each while letting other diners sit also.

o_gal

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
Some bars have fixed stools that you cannot move. Some people have extremely long legs that make it impossible to sit facing forward. Those people are stuck with sitting sideways if they want to sit at the bar if the bar has fixed stools.

katycoo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:07 AM »

But then shouldn't you sit at a table?

The only time I sit at a bar is if there are no tables.  So there might not be options.

But TBH I've never seen bar seated patrons ever not slightly inclined towards each other unless they are eating at that very moment. or if its in a tv show where it works better for camera angles.

cicero

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 07:48:47 AM »
If the bar is serving them a meal or substantial snacks at the bar,  then I think it's reasonable of them to expect to sit comfortably.  It doesn't make sense to go out to eat with friends and then have three people facing the wall in front of them.  It sounds like they are taking up one extra space (?) which happens.

It's also possible that they came in wanting to sit at a table and there were none available so they sat at the bar.

At any rate they were there first,  and as frustrating as it is to you,  they also have the right to sit comfortably (and it seems that they are not unreasonable.  If they were three people taking up an entire area,  I think that would be unreasonable)

At the same time, l do understand your frustration because you want to sit at the bar.

I don't think you can ask them to move on this situation but maybe talk to the bar owner about not serving meals at the bar?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

miranova

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 08:04:37 AM »
DH and I enjoy eating/drinking at the bar when it's just the two of us.  I've never found that I have to swivel my chair to talk to him.  I mean this isn't much different from sitting next to each other on a couch.  You just look at each other when you want to speak.  I honestly haven't seen people turn their entire chairs to face each other at a bar so I'm having a hard time even picturing this.  And we eat at bars a lot.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 08:36:14 AM »
I find two situations at bars.

1) The bar area is crowded. A group comes to the bar and there's one chair open so one of them sits in it and the rest crowds around to have "space". The person sitting turns to the side and the others stand behind them or in the space between the stools. Yes, it makes it almost impossible to get to the bar to get a drink and if your sitting at the bar you are going to be crowded. But I expect my personal space to be very invaded at crowded bars. I choose to not eat at the bar in these situations.

2) The bar area isn't as crowded and most poeple either sit in their selected bar stools. If it's a restaurant bar, lots of people are eating at the bar, less people are trying to get drinks from the bar because there is more wait staff. However, someone might stil turn physically to the side to engage with their friends. But I don't think I've ever been bothered by them doing it and if they are preventing me from moving I just say excuse me, can you move over to let me out? Again, it's a bar and I figure there's less personal space. If I want more space, I'll sit at a table.

My DH dislikes sitting at the bar because of the crowds and always prefers a table in the bar or in the dining room if it's a restaurant.

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:43 AM »
I haven't really seen this happen very often.  I think most people would shift to let you in if you said "Excuse me".  Or, if you're already sitting down and they're crowding you, you could always speak up and let them know.  I don't really like sitting at the bar myself, though.  It feels less private.

Maria16

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
I have had another experience with this which cements that this sideways seating is beyond rude. I went to this restaurant the other night, same one, to pick up our dinners. I arrive and place the order then have a glass of wine or a bowl of soup at the bar while I wait. When I looked at the bar through the window, it did not look particularly crowded. When every seat is taken with more folks standing around, then I may change the dinner plan. When I reached the bar, I realized that despite only 70% of the spaces full, and empty seats, there was nowhere to sit bc several couples had both there chairs turned sideways, facing each other with almost as much space for a table in between them. I sat in a chair that was pushed back from the bar with about a foot of space between me and the bar and ordered. Not once did the rude guy next to me acknowledge my arrival by shifting over- he could still have done so and faced his partner.  I exchanged a look with the bartender and she asked them to shift. Even then, he did not give me proper space. He also continued to animatedly use his elbows with no regard for my personal space. Just rude. Most of the people who do this are the same rude space invaders in other ways so it is not like this was a particularly rude sideways sitter.