Author Topic: Kid's underwear - donate?  (Read 433 times)

shygirl

Kid's underwear - donate?
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
I just bought some new underwear for my son because the old ones are starting to get small.  His old underwear is in pretty good shape.  He only wore them for a year.  No stains or rips or anything weird.

Are these something that I can donate?  I personally wouldn't buy used underwear for myself or my kid.  Really the only acceptable situation I think for used underwear is if it's a hand-me-down from an older sibling.  But I'm not planning on having anymore kids, so I don't want to hang onto them.

But, they are in such good shape that it feels like a waste to just throw them out.  So, what is acceptable?  Donate or throw out?  (I'll probably just keep one because they are so adorable.  Superhero underwear for a 3yo!)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Kid's underwear - donate?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
I suggest donate. But I would donate to one of the bigger places. In Canada it's Value Village.

There is an interesting life cycle to donated clothes. They get sorted and some is sold in the thrift store, some is shipped across seas, some is recycled as rags. Basically, any cloth/clothing is usable material and will be used. So the professionals will figure out what to do with it.

And my daughter has some hand me down underwear. I never really thought twice about it. They were clean/in good condition and I just washed them (as I did everything I was given).

That said, I wouldn't buy it at a second hand store.

Lynn2000

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:41 PM »
Deetee, that's interesting to know. I don't generally donate used underwear, because I think, well, I would never buy secondhand underwear myself. But, you know, I don't drink the milk past its date either, so I tend to be a bit paranoid.  :P I donated a couple of bras that still had their tags on them, as I'd never gotten around to wearing them, but any undergarments I've worn, I just toss in the trash when I don't need them anymore. Granted, mostly I throw them away when they're too worn, and I wouldn't feel right about donating clothing for others to use that's too worn for me.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
We did this once before, as a topic; I was debating a similar donation of outgrown and barely worn underwear to my church's orphanage in the hills of the Dominican Republic, where any underwear is better than what they have. And where I assume that everybody's dirty underwear goes in the same laundry pot, so it's not like they aren't going to end up with someone else's "cooties" eventually.

I would say, wash with bleach, then fold and place in a zip-lock bag with a Post-it note inside (so you can read it through the plastic) that says "washed with bleach." And donate.

If they don't want it, they'll toss it.

I still remember reading on some forum once that a woman was really  judgmental and aghast that someone bought her husband's used underwear at her yard sale. I thought, "If you think it's gross, why were you -selling- it?!?"

I grew up on hand-me-down underwear inside our family, and I don't care about imaginary cooties--just real-life germs. Which are killed by bleach.

MindsEye

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:43 PM »
Eeeyyy... I would only donate unmentionables (underwear, bras, socks,stockings) if they are new in package or still with tags.  There is just something about second-hand underwear that crosses my ick threshold.

OTOH, if they are cute and in good shape what about re-purposing them and using them to make a little quilt or something else?

menley

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
I would check with the place you plan to donate. The places that I donate all have rules about donated undergarments - usually that bottoms cannot be accepted unless they're new with tags, and bras can generally be accepted.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:57:45 PM »
I think it would be weird to try to make a quilt out of 3yo's superhero underbutts.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:17 PM »
I'd have no problem with donating bras, but I wouldn't do underwear unless it was one of those "bought a package of six and found out they don't fit so five are still in there untouched" kind of things.  You may know you washed them thoroughly and they're not all gross, but the poor volunteer having to sort through things doesn't know that - and not everyone may be so conscientious.

MindsEye

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »
I think it would be weird to try to make a quilt out of 3yo's superhero underbutts.

Not a full sized quilt you would just put on the bed... but a little memento quilt maybe?  My mom made memento quilts for me and each of our siblings out of our baby clothes...  eh, YMMV!

P12663

• I can take dragons. Or give them away. Honest.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
Remember that not all (or even most) donated clothing shows up in the store for resale.  The charity sorts the clothing and the stuff judged unsuitable for resale (too worn, torn, whatever) is sold to textile recyclers or exporters.  The charity still gets some money for it and it stays out of landfills.  Mostly.

We recently added some insulation - which had been made from shredded denim.  I've been told that a lot of the fiber used in padding upholstered furniture comes from shredding old clothes.

lilfox

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
Yep, I felt a lot better about donating obviously used clothing when I found out that our local donation places (not all, but most) can sell unwearable clothes to textile recyclers.  I try to make it a little easier by sorting the stuff I would doubt they could sell into separate bags from the stuff still in good condition.

From what I've read online, I think a good number of the unattended large bins marked CLOTHING are primarily used for textile recycling, and at least one major "fast fashion" brand has started a program for recycling old clothes and household textiles (bring a donation-filled bag, get a coupon).

It's kind of a shame if the clothes are still in good condition and get recycled rather than reworn, but if it keeps it out of a landfill, at least that's something.

Auto industry and mattress manufacturers use recycled textiles quite a lot, too.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
If you can't return it after wearing it should not be donated. I regularly pick up packages various kids sizes of socks and underwear to give students at my school, when it is on sale.

One time the manager heard the clerk make a "you must have a lot of kids comments", and my reply that no I worked for a Title I school and it was for needy kids at my school. The manager pulled me to the side, and gave me a box of packages of socks and underwear. Someone had gone through and ripped  holes in the packaging and she was going to have to throw it all away. The underwear and socks were undamaged but she couldn't sell it with damaged packaging.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future