Author Topic: ideas/tips for a more "professional" looking FB page  (Read 380 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
ideas/tips for a more "professional" looking FB page
« on: July 25, 2014, 03:26:08 PM »
BS - you can skip this if want. DS is 28, has social issues, depression, was diagnosed with Asperger's (which may not be the case), has no friends, has not been able to hold down a job. He's in a program for people with disabilities - this is the second program he's been in. The first program was really bad (I had a meeting with his supervisors and their incompetence and lying were made very clear). He is now in an amazing program - he is working in a book store, was promoted to shift manager, writes manuals for the group, and is doing well.

So he is finally hopefully on the right track for job/career. He is interested in the hotel industry (entry level), and has had quite a few interviews - in the past this has really gotten him down ("i'll never get a job - nobody wants me) but now he is learning from each interview and moving on. He changed his style a bit (polo shirts instead of his geeky t shirts for work and button down shirts for interviews). Now he asked me about his FB page because he knows that potential employers might be checking it out. He doesn't have anything inappropriate there - he doesn't have much of anything. He did change his profile pic to something a bit more professional looking but he is wondering what else he should do

Any tips, pointers, ideas?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: ideas/tips for a more "professional" looking FB page
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »
  Lock it down. ie.  No-one not already on friends list can see anything except the profile pic and name, and send a friend request, set the default to "all post are for friends only". Then do not accept friend requests from random people.

Cherry91

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
I operate what I call the "grandmother test" - if I wouldn't want my grandmother to see it, it doesn't go on my facebook.

Your son should maybe check what photo's he's shared, groups he's liked and statuses he's posted and remove anything with cursing, discussions of anything rude or risque, inappropriate or immature pics, etc. Then lock down his privacy settings.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »
I've heard that some interviewers make you log in to Facebook and show them your page as you see it, so locking it down to friends-only (which is a good idea in general) wouldn't necessarily help with that. Some people have two pages--one for friends, under a nickname, and one for employers, with their full legal name.

Recently, a former co-worker I'm Facebook friends with posted about an event in his life, and his friends (whom I don't know) responded with very risque and rude comments that I could read. Even though logically those comments should be no reflection on me, I wouldn't really want someone else to see them, if I felt my job hinged on it. I mean, the employer doesn't know I don't know those people, right? So maybe there's something in the settings that can be adjusted, so that the only people whose comments can be seen are your friends, whom you have vetted.
~Lynn2000

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
I've heard that some interviewers make you log in to Facebook and show them your page as you see it, so locking it down to friends-only (which is a good idea in general) wouldn't necessarily help with that.

That's where you say "I don't really use facebook and I wouldn't feel comfortable with that even if I did, sorry" and if they refuse to hire you because of that, you dodged a bullet.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
I agree with Lock It Down.  Have him open a LinkedIn account because that's the site for your professional life.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »
I've heard that some interviewers make you log in to Facebook and show them your page as you see it, so locking it down to friends-only (which is a good idea in general) wouldn't necessarily help with that.

That's where you say "I don't really use facebook and I wouldn't feel comfortable with that even if I did, sorry" and if they refuse to hire you because of that, you dodged a bullet.

I'm with Slartibartfast on this one.  Hey, if its the NSA , you're applying to be their media person ,its a very sensitive position/public position ,or you're applying for a positions with huge access to intellectual properly and confidentiality agreements maybe but entry level hospitality. "Thank you for you time but it appears we're incompatible, bye bye now."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »
Thanks. He doesn't have anything inappropriate on his page, not even as responses from others. He thought himself that it would be a good idea to "like" industry related pages ( tourism, hotel, travel, etc). We are working on his LinkedIn Page - thanks for the reminder

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools