News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 22, 2017, 04:15:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me shop for kitchen gadgets, aka what can't I live without?  (Read 8571 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: Help me shop for kitchen gadgets, aka what can't I live without?
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 11:02:50 AM »
I like the idea of this (since it would make chopping/dicing go so much faster), but I'm wondering how the blades get sharpened once they've dulled.

I suspect the blades stay sharp much longer, as they are not being blunted by the chopping board (and food is much softer than wood [mostly*])?  But would love to hear the experience of owners as to how long they remain sharp...

* I've had to take the mallet to the back of the knife when dealing with a really big turnip/pumpkin, on occasion. :-[

I have a big heavy cleaver for stuff like that.  When I use it, I have to be careful to not cut off a finger or two.

I've always wanted a good Chinese cleaver and cutting board (one of those thick round tree stump types).  I have no need for a cleaver (I'd be afraid of it slipping while trying to chop something) -- still want one though.

I decided I'm going to get a Whirley-Pop after all but need to wait for Bed Bath & Beyond to send out another in-store coupon.  They're the cheapest at $19.99 (Amazon is charging $28+).  If I wait for the coupon, it'll be another 20% off.

Finally got something I've wanted for years and was even on my wedding registry (but no one got us one) -- a toaster oven.  Sometimes, you just want to use the oven for something small, like a couple of slices of pizza or a single serving of something and heating up the regular oven feels like such a waste of energy.  I'm glad it took years for me to get around to buying one because, since then, Breville came out with a smaller version that's $100 cheaper (so I just got the smaller one).  Now I can do 1-2 slices of pizza or a corn dog or something else in small quantities.

If you sign up for BBB text messages, you'll get one every week

Thanks!  ;D

I've always wanted a good Chinese cleaver and cutting board (one of those thick round tree stump types).  I have no need for a cleaver (I'd be afraid of it slipping while trying to chop something) -- still want one though.

Finally got something I've wanted for years and was even on my wedding registry (but no one got us one) -- a toaster oven.  Sometimes, you just want to use the oven for something small, like a couple of slices of pizza or a single serving of something and heating up the regular oven feels like such a waste of energy.  I'm glad it took years for me to get around to buying one because, since then, Breville came out with a smaller version that's $100 cheaper (so I just got the smaller one).  Now I can do 1-2 slices of pizza or a corn dog or something else in small quantities.

if you have an Asian market near you, check there. The one by me not only sells every kind of food etc. imaginable, from every country you can think of, but has a huge section of dishes, cookware, and other stuff, including cleavers.

Thanks!  I have an abundance of Asian markets near me (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hmong, Filipino) -- two major ones, alone, within two miles of my house -- so I'm sure those two (being Chinese grocery markets) would likely have the Chinese cleavers I seek.  I feel like checking Chinatown in SF though (of course, I really like shopping, so any excuse to go somewhere different).

siamesecat2965

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2017, 11:28:57 AM »

Thanks!  I have an abundance of Asian markets near me (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Hmong, Filipino) -- two major ones, alone, within two miles of my house -- so I'm sure those two (being Chinese grocery markets) would likely have the Chinese cleavers I seek.  I feel like checking Chinatown in SF though (of course, I really like shopping, so any excuse to go somewhere different).

Oh i'm sure you can find on there!!! I'm not surprised you have all that variety, since you mentioned SF, i'm guessing you live in the bay area.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
I like the idea of this (since it would make chopping/dicing go so much faster), but I'm wondering how the blades get sharpened once they've dulled.

I suspect the blades stay sharp much longer, as they are not being blunted by the chopping board (and food is much softer than wood [mostly*])?  But would love to hear the experience of owners as to how long they remain sharp...

* I've had to take the mallet to the back of the knife when dealing with a really big turnip/pumpkin, on occasion. :-[

Mine's going on 3.5 years and doing well. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2017, 01:11:18 AM »
Electric kettle, https://www.amazon.com/Epica-6-Temperature-Variable-Stainless-Cordless/dp/B01G7OL9ZW

I never would've thought one of these necessary before and had never actually heard of them before until I read about them online.  However, DH and I stayed somewhere recently that had an electric kettle, and I thought it was so convenient that I looked into getting us one once we got home.  Cook's Illustrated recommended one that heats to multiple temps, but I wasn't willing to spend $100+ for something we really didn't need.  I found the one I linked to by searching on Amazon; the cordless part I didn't remember when I ordered it so that was just a bonus.  It has been so wonderful and convenient having it as DH has been drinking a lot of tea lately so it's nice for him to be able to make himself tea without having to heat up water on the stove each time and to the proper temp for the type of tea he's making (the kettle will hold the water at the chosen temp for up to two hours).

Psychopoesie

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2017, 05:07:02 AM »
Hope this fits here.

Had to throw my old toaster out today. Had a good run with it (probably 10-15 years). Amazed by the range (and price) of new toasters now available.

Any recommendations for a great toaster or what features to look for in a new one?

Is it worth splurging a bit or am I better off just going with cheap and cheerful?

Hmmmmm

« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2017, 04:48:19 PM »
Hope this fits here.

Had to throw my old toaster out today. Had a good run with it (probably 10-15 years). Amazed by the range (and price) of new toasters now available.

Any recommendations for a great toaster or what features to look for in a new one?

Is it worth splurging a bit or am I better off just going with cheap and cheerful?

I think it depends on how you plan to use it. I have an Oster convection toaster oven. It's about 7 or 8 years old so probably not a model still manufactured. I like having the convection option if I'm baking a small amount of cookies or even a single pie or brownies. It toasts and broils well too. And it's easy to clean.

I think I selected based on the size of oven I wanted and then a lot was decided based on looks an ease of use.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2017, 07:28:38 PM »
Hope this fits here.

I think it depends on how you plan to use it. I have an Oster convection toaster oven. It's about 7 or 8 years old so probably not a model still manufactured. I like having the convection option if I'm baking a small amount of cookies or even a single pie or brownies. It toasts and broils well too. And it's easy to clean.

I think I selected based on the size of oven I wanted and then a lot was decided based on looks an ease of use.

My stepmum has a toaster oven (no idea of the brand). It does have a wider range of cooking options but I've never liked the toast it made (could just be the one she has though).

I'm looking for a 2 or 4 slot toaster and would like it to be able to manage non standard bread (wider/longer slices or bagels/English muffins). Only really need a 2 slot for me but planning to share a house again so 4 slot could come in handy.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2017, 07:48:24 PM »
Hope this fits here.

My stepmum has a toaster oven (no idea of the brand). It does have a wider range of cooking options but I've never liked the toast it made (could just be the one she has though).

I'm looking for a 2 or 4 slot toaster and would like it to be able to manage non standard bread (wider/longer slices or bagels/English muffins). Only really need a 2 slot for me but planning to share a house again so 4 slot could come in handy.

You'd probably be fine with a "regular" wide-slot toaster then.  A 2- or 4-slice would take up a lot less room than a toaster oven.  And I'm not really sure that the $200 toasters are *that* much better than a $20 one.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2017, 09:26:11 PM »
Thanks for the toaster advice folks.

I bought a new one yesterday for $90. It's a little fancier than the standard but not at the high end. It was only available in a stainless steel finish but I can live with that. It has two long extra wide slots so I can do 4 normal slices or 2 longer non standard bread slices. There's a timer so I'll know exactly how long my toast is going to take (helps with multitasking). Also has a crumpet setting which made me smile.

It's this one if anyone is curious. Haven't had a chance to use all the features yet.

https://www.sunbeam.com.au/Cooking/Toasters/TA6440-Maestro-4-Slice-Toaster.aspx

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:03 AM »
A catering supply shop would be the best place to get a cleaver. This is where professional chefs buy their knives.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2017, 06:19:24 AM »
That's great in theory but then you meet people like my husband...I have five crock pots. Five. I very, very rarely entertain so it's not like I need that many. It's just the two of us, no kids. I was thrilled when I got my instant pot because I figured I could get rid of at least a couple of crock pots and my rice steamer, since the IP easily functions as both. Next thing I get is a barrage of "well, what if it breaks? Then we won't have a rice steamer/crock pot, etc). First of all, we are low carbing it. I almost never use the stupid steamer. And if the IP dies I guarantee that Amazon Prime will be whizzing one to me within 48 hours.

I'm single. I live alone.  I have 4 crockpots, in different sizes, for different uses.   I know, I know....but someday I might whittle them down a bit, now that I realize how lovely the big one is.  The tiny one is for fondue, the small one is for my morning oatmeal on telework days, the 2-quart one was my main crockpot for years(perfect for a single person), but the big 6-quart one is unmatched for making batches of marinara sauce from a half-bushel of fresh tomatoes.  Or chicken soup for a sick friend.

As for blenders.....well, I have a Nutribullet, a Ninja kitchen system, and a Cuisanart food processer.   The Cuisanart is waiting for the new blade to come in (recall), the Ninja is my favorite, but the Nutribullet makes the best smoothies, better than the other 2, so they all have uses.  I also have a hand-crank food processer. 

Have I mentioned that I'm single and live alone?  Please don't look in my Tupperware cupboard.  You might die from the avalanche.

So tell  your husband that I understand completely.  Sorry about that.

Ah, but the difference is that you actually use your items. You live alone and you decide what items are worth keeping and which are not. I would have a different opinion if his cooking consisted of more than putting food on a paper plate and warming it up in the microwave.  ;D

Well, just to add to this.......I got an Instant Pot a couple of weeks ago.  It's a long story, but I really didn't pay much for it (traded it for a set of Origami shelves).   I can't see it replacing all of my crock pots, but it might replace one or two.