News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 12:55:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is your favorite fruit?  (Read 2051 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Re: What is your favorite fruit?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
I keep thinking of new fruits I love as I read.

I crave pomegranates, but they're such a pain to eat and so expensive, I hate to gamble on whether a given pomegranate will be ripe.

I want to try feijoa now. I don't know if I've ever seen them in our stores.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »
Please do.  we are in the middle of a bumper feijoa season and I have made pickle, and jam, and put some in the freezer and made stewed, baked, crumble and pie with them.  I rather fear I am starting to look like a feijoa!

Just thought I would mention that to us, a kiwi is a big bird with a long nose, and covered in soft brown feathers.  It is also flightless and is our national emblem.

Kiwifruit on the other hand is a big berry covered in brown hair, usually brilliant emerald green inside (although the gold ones are good) and delicious.  I do a double take when people say they have eaten a kiwi.

GardenGal

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »
So wish we could get decent mulberries too. Still have memories of climbing a tree with cousins as a kid and feasting on the fruit. My aunt made an outstanding mulberry pie too.

Interesting that you enjoyed the mulberries unsweetened off the tree.  I grew up in New York City, and our house had a mulberry tree in the back yard. Ever year it produced bushels of very sour fruit that would permanently stain your clothes and the sidewalk near the tree. My aunt was the only one who enjoyed the fruit, and I'm pretty sure she added a lot of sugar to it before eating it.  My dad would string rows of cheesecloth below the tree to catch the fruit, and my kid brother and I got a nickle (I think) for every carton of fruit we collected and carried out for the trash.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

Psychopoesie

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
So wish we could get decent mulberries too. Still have memories of climbing a tree with cousins as a kid and feasting on the fruit. My aunt made an outstanding mulberry pie too.

Interesting that you enjoyed the mulberries unsweetened off the tree.  I grew up in New York City, and our house had a mulberry tree in the back yard. Ever year it produced bushels of very sour fruit that would permanently stain your clothes and the sidewalk near the tree. My aunt was the only one who enjoyed the fruit, and I'm pretty sure she added a lot of sugar to it before eating it.  My dad would string rows of cheesecloth below the tree to catch the fruit, and my kid brother and I got a nickle (I think) for every carton of fruit we collected and carried out for the trash.

The mulberries definitely weren't sour, not even a little bit. Did stain though. We didn't care (we weren't climbing it in our good clothes). We did learn pretty quickly that no one was going to believe us if we denied eating any. :)

Maybe a different variety?

Vall

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
I haven't had them in ages but I used to love mulberries.  The only time I remember them being sour was if they weren't ripe.  Many people I knew didn't like them because you can't really get all of the stem off.  You'd have to eat a little bit of stem, but it didn't taste bad.

They were messy though.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2017, 02:09:04 AM »

Some trees seem to be sweeter than others. There were a lot of trees in the neighborhood I grew up in and some were always sweet, some never were and there were a few that had some years that were sweeter than others.
Nothing to see here.

mime

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2017, 01:29:13 PM »
OK, now thanks to this thread I have to start a list of fruits I've never tried... melorange sounds very interesting! Never had sapote, either. And I'm surprised at myself to say that I've never had persimmons or mulberries, not even in a jam or a dessert!

I'm going to visit Indiana later this year. I hear they take great pride in a particular persimmon recipe. I'll have to try it!

Girlie

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
Apples and bananas. I'll eat them alone but I also like them with peanut butter.

I'm not a big fan of fruit, but I'll also eat oranges, grapes and watermelon. I also like grapples, which is an interesting hybrid which I couldn't find this year.

I can't STAND cantaloupe, though. The mere smell of it makes we cringe.

Coralreef

« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »
As far as fruits go, I tend to vary my buying depending on what time of year it is. I tend to buy whatever the local crops are, so it's very seasonal. I will eat strawberries for about a month, then blueberries and raspberries come in, along with different types of melons. Then, apples straight from the orchard. In winter, mostly citrus fruit or pineapples, imported because they don't grow here.
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

lilfox

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »
I also don't have a single favorite, but I really like fruit and have had some memorably good ones.

The cantaloupe melons we got at a road stand during a road trip in Italy, my dad had to carve them with a Swiss army knife and we ate them for lunch right there at the side of the road.  Amazing taste.

I once ate a nectarine so good my overwhelming thought was that it tasted like sunshine, and I am not a synesthete.  Bad nectarines are the worst, so it's really like playing roulette if you're going to get a good one or not.

Honeycrisp apples are my favorite type (gala and pink lady are good too) and we now have a honeycrisp tree out front that fruited last year for the first time.  We also have some very successful raspberry vines and some less successful blueberry plants.

Bananas with a hint of green are perfection.

I try to buy new and interesting fruit once in a while, particularly for the kids to try, and mangoes and persimmons were a hit while starfruit and pomelos were not (too bland, I suppose).  They can eat their weight in just about any kind of fruit too.   :D

FauxFoodist

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:35 AM »
I once ate a nectarine so good my overwhelming thought was that it tasted like sunshine, and I am not a synesthete.

I once ate the perfect tomato that I bought from a local farmers' market (I think it was a beefsteak tomato or looked liked one).  I finally got it when I'd read others raving about tomatoes (to me, I like them, but "meh" was my feeling).  The taste was vibrant and just the right amount of sweet for a tomato.  It was a few years ago, and I've never had another tomato like it before or since then.  I went back to that farmers' market a few weeks later, but tomatoes were out of season by then so I found none.

sidi-ji

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
Grapes, all kinds. Then: fleshy fruits like nectarines and peaches. Apricots, kiwi, pineapples, almost all melons. oranges. Tart apples, sweet apples, crunchy apples, granny smiths, gala, honeycrisp, golden delicious, my lady, and more. Berries and plums. Pears.

Today I have had grapes and strawberries for breakfast and a mid morning snack.

GardenGal

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
And I'm surprised at myself to say that I've never had persimmons or mulberries, not even in a jam or a dessert!

I'm going to visit Indiana later this year. I hear they take great pride in a particular persimmon recipe. I'll have to try it!

There are 2 kinds of persimmons that I commonly see in markets. The soft fleshed (American persimmon) and the crisp fleshed (Fuyu or Japanese persimmon).  In Indiana you'll probably have pudding or something similar made with the first type.  I don't care for that, but I do love the Fuyu persimmons we get in markets in the fall here (Southern California). Slice them thin and they're delicious, with a glorious color.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

NbyNW

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »
Cherries are my absolute favorites with watermelon and pineapple close behind. I like dragon fruit a lot, too. The flavor is a little bland but I love the texture and it's just so beautiful.