News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2016, 10:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I should probably resist sending an email...  (Read 896 times)

Outdoor Girl

I should probably resist sending an email...
« on: September 07, 2016, 08:35:31 AM »
But it would really be so much fun.   >:D

My Fitbit Flex died a couple of months ago and wasn't recoverable.  I've also had to replace the band on it 3 times in 18 months and just a week before it died, had purchased a 3 pack of new bands.  That I unfortunately opened and used one of them so I can't return them.  I contacted Fitbit to see if they would do anything for me and they refused because it was out of warranty.  Fair enough.  But oh, so generously offered me a 25% discount to buy another Flex or other product in their online store.  Which would end up being more expensive than retail on sale since I'd have to pay shipping.  So I said thanks but no thanks.

And looked into my other options.  I ended up getting a Garmin VivoFit 3 through Medic Alert for quite a bit less than the comparable Fitbit product.  And now, I only have to wear one thing on my wrist that is watch, fitness tracker and medic alert all in one.  Bonuses?  The functionality is actually better for me, too.  Better sleep tracking, better activity tracking, no flipping charging of it as it has a battery guaranteed for a year.  Only downside is that I can't seem to set alarms on it for waking me.  But I maybe just haven't found it yet.

I really want to write a snarky email to Fitbit along the lines of, 'Thank you so much for not replacing my defective Fitbit Flex.  I now have the Garmin VivoFit 3 which suits my needs very well and was considerably cheaper than your comparable product.  And best of all, I don't need to keep charging it and losing my tracking every 5 or so days for the duration of the charge.'

But I'm guessing I really should resist...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: I should probably resist sending an email...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
I would do a product review on a site that sells both.

I have a Garmin and I love it. I've heard nothing but bad reviews on most of the Fitbit products, as far as them breaking, and having to be replaced.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
I would feel the same way!  Hahaha.

My fitbit so far has held up, but I have one of the originals, the zip, which tracks steps and not much more. Which is fine for me.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
I would do a product review on a site that sells both.

That's a good idea.  I might have to do that when I have time.  Which will be sometime in 2024, after I retire.   ;D
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Luci

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:41:13 AM »
Thanks for the review!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
I have to say that my experience with FitBit support is the opposite - even when I couldn't produce a proper receipt, they sent me a free of charge replacement when it turned out my original Flex was a bit of a lemon, battery-wise, and they twice replaced my charge when the band broke*, with the second replacement actually being done outside of the warranty period.

Where I'm peeved with them is over their support (or otherwise) for current mobile devices - as long as you go for an Apple device, you're fine, even up to the latest model of iPad and iPhone. Android, not so much. My smart watch really shouldn't get a say in which phone I upgrade to!**

*Partially a design flaw in the charge - you can't replace the band like you can on the flex - and partially an issue with their sizing; I sit very uncomfortably on the cusp between their two sizes a large is way too large but a small is not quite big enough to stand up to my wearing it 24/7 (nb I've had the exact same issue with most watch straps over the last 25 years, so all I can assume is I have weirdly sized wrists!)
**It wasn't a huge say but it is what tipped the balance - granted, I've probably ended up with a better phone, but still *grumble*

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »
That was my other issue with the Flex.  The large band was almost too large and the small band was almost too small.  So we must have similarly sized wrists.  I'm voting for not weird.

My nephew had a higher level one that they replaced 4 times, due to a band issue, before they refused to replace it any more.  They did give him a decent discount on the newest high end one that would allow the band to be replaced easily so he's stuck with them.

I was also mildly allergic to the metal in the clasp, if I wore my wrist brace over top of the Fitbit at night, forcing it into contact with my skin.  No metal on the VivoFit and the clasp locks.  My Flex popped off more than once. 
Ontario

Virg

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 10:25:34 AM »
I'm not exactly sure why you'd resist sending an email about your experience.  If you don't because you aren't interested in making the effort, then that's reasonable, but the sort of feedback a company gets from someone who switched away from their product line can be very valuable, and you might want to switch back to FitBit at some point in the future.  Drop the sarcasm, but telling them why you switched to a competitor could instigate a change for the better.

Virg

NFPwife

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 10:26:29 AM »
Oh, I have nothing to say about the snarky e-mail, well, nothing nice to say, because I'd probably send it. :D I'm so intrigued about the VivoFit covering the fitness things and the medic alert. I'm going to check that out!!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Glad I'm not alone in that, then! I got away with the wrist thing a lot better with the Flex because I could just pop the sucker out of the broken band and into a new one without any problems. In fact I'd probably still be using the flex but for the fact that my dumb-watch (it told the time and date and that was it) died and it seemed to make more sense to get one device to deal with both...

The allergy thing's definitely an issue though - and one I'm mildly surprised I haven't had as I know I'm nickle-sensitive (I have issues with earrings that aren't pure gold or pure plastic!), not that I'm complaining!