News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 20, 2017, 10:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?  (Read 3328528 times)

magicdomino

Re: What little things drive you completely up the wall....?
« Reply #24630 on: January 18, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »
I came across a meal delivery service that made me roll my eyes. They suggested you should order prepared meals for newlyweds. The reasons given: so they don't have to cook after going home & because newlyweds don't want boring old traditional gifts. You could tell the company realized how little sympathy that generates; the next suggestion was (paraphrasing) "Newlyweds tend to burn food at first & don't know how to cook. You're doing them a kind favor by not making them eat burned food."  ::)

Somebody needs to realize that the 20th century is gone.  Most people don't go straight from their parents' home into marriage.  They've lived and cooked on their own for a while.  Now, this still might be a good gift for a couple who both dislike cooking or have jobs with long hours, but let's not be patronizing.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #24631 on: January 18, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
I came across a meal delivery service that made me roll my eyes. They suggested you should order prepared meals for newlyweds. The reasons given: so they don't have to cook after going home & because newlyweds don't want boring old traditional gifts. You could tell the company realized how little sympathy that generates; the next suggestion was (paraphrasing) "Newlyweds tend to burn food at first & don't know how to cook. You're doing them a kind favor by not making them eat burned food."  ::)

Uuuuuuuh.... they should really be informed that a lot of people, newlywed or not, do in fact know how to cook.

Or don't. :)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #24632 on: Yesterday at 03:19:12 PM »
Would-be clients who don't send the work, or explain what's going on:

I'm a freelance editor, and recently agreed to work on a project that the client said was urgent/on a tight schedule. We agreed that I would do one piece of it starting on January 5, and another starting today. The fifth came and went with nothing more than a promise that I would have the contract for the work by the sixth, and that only after I asked "what's going on?" The contract did turn up, but it was pulling teeth to get the client to tell me that the actual work wouldn't be arriving within the time set aside for it. Having had no further news, yesterday I asked about this weekend's chunk of work, and got a vague "we're working on it," followed at noon today by "you should have it sometime today." It's now past 4 p.m. in our time zone (mine and the client's), with no project to work on, and no further word of what's going on.

I suspect I'm going to be looking for a polite way of saying "your lack of preparation is not my emergency." This is already a short turnaround deal, and they aren't paying me anywhere near enough for me to lose sleep in order to get it in on time.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

jpcher

« Reply #24633 on: Yesterday at 04:27:49 PM »
Would-be clients who don't send the work, or explain what's going on:

I'm a freelance editor, and recently agreed to work on a project that the client said was urgent/on a tight schedule. We agreed that I would do one piece of it starting on January 5, and another starting today. The fifth came and went with nothing more than a promise that I would have the contract for the work by the sixth, and that only after I asked "what's going on?" The contract did turn up, but it was pulling teeth to get the client to tell me that the actual work wouldn't be arriving within the time set aside for it. Having had no further news, yesterday I asked about this weekend's chunk of work, and got a vague "we're working on it," followed at noon today by "you should have it sometime today." It's now past 4 p.m. in our time zone (mine and the client's), with no project to work on, and no further word of what's going on.

I suspect I'm going to be looking for a polite way of saying "your lack of preparation is not my emergency." This is already a short turnaround deal, and they aren't paying me anywhere near enough for me to lose sleep in order to get it in on time.

If only people understood that.  ::)

And then they wonder why the job isn't completed with more bells & whistles when they need it in such a short about of time. I shake my head and think "Do you want it done now? Or do you want it done right?

Ser Lucien Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #24634 on: Yesterday at 05:37:33 PM »
My hard drive died today. Completely. No life whatsoever. Thankfully there was nothing too vital on it...

My backup computer also won't run. No graphics. I think the connection to the motherboard rusted.

Now I'm stuck on the slowest laptop in tarnation. >:(
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

GardenGal

« Reply #24635 on: Yesterday at 05:47:39 PM »

Since they're paying you less than you usually would charge, is this a job you can afford to pass on?  Perhaps you need a way to let them know that if you don't get the work in a timely manner you won't be able to hold all night free waiting on them so you can start working on it. If so, I'd send them an email something like this, sent in such a way that you can tell if they received and read it:
Per our discussion earlier this month, I want to remind you again that it will take me a minimum of X hours to do the editing you need. If I get the work before 6pm today, I'll be able to have it completed by 3pm tomorrow.  After 6pm tonight it won't be possible for me to work on your project before 9am tomorrow, in which case it won't be ready until 6pm tomorrow. Or something like this. 
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai