News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• March 23, 2017, 03:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!  (Read 246032 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: S/O: House Hunting Horrors!
« Reply #1380 on: March 19, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
I have a friend whose childhood home likely looks like that or worse.  I think I was last in that house 25 years ago (it still looked fine then).  Around 20 years ago, he told me I had to wait in the car while he went inside as his mom didn't even want anyone so much as coming to the front door.  Around 15 years ago, Friend said it had gotten so bad inside that his mom wouldn't even let *him* in the house.  I know that, for one, there was a growing mold issue on the wall between the two bathrooms (I never saw it; Friend told me about it).  Friend said the mold had gotten so bad that the wall between the two bathrooms collapsed.  It's a shame because it was a decent house from what I remember (I'd been there a few times as a teen and young adult).  Friend's two brothers (who are middle-aged adults now) were unemployed and living with their mother and did nothing to clean up after themselves (and would never listen to her).  Between the three of them, the house steadily deteriorated.  A few years ago, Friend assumed the mortgage so that his mother wouldn't end up homeless but told me that if he's paying for the house, he sure as hell was going to go inside.  I've never asked him what it looks like inside and won't (plus his family is a sore point as they treat him like crap -- they take money from him to keep them afloat but still treat him like crap).  Anyway, I can't imagine it looks (or smells) good and, given the mold issue, probably does need to be demo'd.

MOM21SON

« Reply #1381 on: March 19, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »
There was a trend for while in the 80's of zero lot line houses.  Each house was built exactly on the property line between it on the next house on one side.  So all the houses would be sitting on the property line on the west side of the property.  Your property only had free space on the east side of the house - the space on the west side of your house belonged to your neighbor.   The next step was "garden homes", two houses that shared a wall (usually the garage) but were on separate lots.  I saw both of these in San Antonio; I don't know what problems they caused for the homeowners but neither sounded good to me.

I am currently renting a very nice home in SA and that is how it is.  We had no idea how much we would hate it.  This neighborhood is 20 plus years old.  And the street parking is insane.  Never again.

Luci

« Reply #1382 on: March 19, 2017, 07:48:55 PM »
This area is very nice, and I have several friends that live in the area.

This house is minutes from being torn down because of being unlivable, yet they are trying to sell it. I feel for anyone living in such conditions.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1604-Swann-Ave_Belle-Isle_FL_32809_M69392-97765

My daughter says the asking price covers the value of the drugs stashed in that mess.

Tear down might be the best! I've seen more livable disaster sites!

We are getting ready to sell. Our selling Realtor is coming tomorrow and I am so nervous about the cleanlinous and clutter that I am grateful for this link. I will post our link when it goes on the market. I am also very sad that we have made this house ours with lots of upgrades and important upkeep. It's perfect for us. Lots of cash, lots of love, lots of great memories for us, kids, and for the extended families, too.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1383 on: March 19, 2017, 10:46:18 PM »

This house is minutes from being torn down because of being unlivable, yet they are trying to sell it. I feel for anyone living in such conditions.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1604-Swann-Ave_Belle-Isle_FL_32809_M69392-97765

My daughter says the asking price covers the value of the drugs stashed in that mess.

So what you're saying, is if you sell the drugs you find, you'll be at net zero for the house...right??  If you find a good middleman, you could even make a bit of money. >:D
Maryland

TeamBhakta

« Reply #1384 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

I worry about all those animals  :(

Luci

« Reply #1385 on: March 20, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
The For Sale sign is up! We had cleaned and tidied and removed some obvious clutter and were asking her about some things. Contract signed and we hadn't even begun to move stuff out and Realtor started the pictures. I see now how some of those awful pictures get taken! At least we were company ready, if not staging ready. Sigh.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1386 on: March 21, 2017, 05:26:00 AM »
Perhaps this is a silly question, but are there houses out there without overhead lights? I don't think I've ever seen one (other than one place that had lights set into the walls at about 7ft high and at regular intervals along the walls).

My house has 2 bedrooms, two bathrooms a kitchen, dining, fireplace room (living room), a family room and a garage.  The only rooms with overhead lighting when we moved in were the kitchen, the bathrooms and the garage.  The hallway has wall sconces. We have since added a lamp over the dining room table because we found a light at Second Use that matched the sconces in the hallway.  The rest of the rooms we light with standing lamps.

nowhere

« Reply #1387 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:45 AM »

I worry about all those animals  :(

Exactly my thoughts. I just want to bring them all home with me.