Author Topic: Advice on a Statement of Purpose  (Read 426 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Advice on a Statement of Purpose
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »
I have decided that I want to get a professional masters degree in my field. It's something that will help me learn about the directions I can take my career, and is aligned with a professional certification program (which may or may not be something I pursue, since I'm not sure how necessary it is, but it can't hurt to have the option).

Since this is a professional degree (rather than an academic one), I'm not really sure exactly what to say in the required statement of purpose. I'm guessing it's probably going to end up being a cover letter on steroids (since they ask for an essay that is 2-3 pages), and the school says it should be an essay that speaks to my career and education goals while demonstrating my written communication skills.

Has anyone applied for a grad school program like this one and written a statement of purpose? Do any of you have any advice about what I should say, or have any links to information about good ways to go about writing one?

I'm sure I can come up with something on my own (because, fortunately for me, writing is one of my strengths), and I do have several months before the next application deadline (they admit people to this program every semester). I'm just feeling sort of uncertain about what I should say, and this is the only degree program I've identified that I can both realistically enroll in and get excited about.

If anyone needs more context, I can share more specifics, but I didn't want this post to get too long.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
Re: Advice on a Statement of Purpose
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:32:08 AM »
When I did my SOPs for music therapy programs, I did something that looked a lot like this

Path that got me to my career choice (my personality, my choices in childhood and undergrad)
Path that got me to putting this school on my list, which included reasons I really liked the school.
How this specific school with its features would help me in my future career goals.

Vita brevis, ars longa

poundcake

Re: Advice on a Statement of Purpose
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:28:50 AM »
Keep it focused on your work and what you can do with/in/for their specific academic program.

Don't be cute or gimmicky. Stick to straightforward prose and tight structure.

Also, we were talking about some of the odd things that pop up on some CVs in another thread here; your SOP is not the place to mention your volunteer work (unless it directly relates to the academic program), or climbing to Everest base camp, or what you did in high school. (A lot of that stuff will be on your CV that you'll send along with the SOP.)