A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cheapskate stories

(1/215) > >>

reflection5:
There’s thrifty, or frugal, which is fine.  Nothing wrong with saving money or getting something for a reduced price or even free.  But then there are situations which cross the line into cheapskate territory.  (I want to make it clear that I’m not making fun of people who can’t afford (whatever) or people who are struggling and going thru tough times, so let’s not go there.)

I saw a TV show last year called “Extreme Cheapskates”.  I don’t know anyone that extreme, but I have a story:

Soy sauce:  I was at a gathering recently and a friend had the rest of us laughing and shaking our heads about her brother.  He’s a single guy, has a good job, car, dresses nice, and lives in a nice apartment.  She stopped over to visit him, and he asked if she would like some leftover take out from a Chinese restaurant.  After she took a bite, she asked if he had any soy sauce.  He handed her a bottle and she noticed the label had been removed (scraped and washed off).  She asked him “What kind of soy sauce is this?”  He reached into the bottom compartment of his refrigerator and pulled out a plastic grocery bag full of packets of soy sauce and various other condiments.  He told her he never bought condiments (including salt, pepper, and sugar).  Instead, he always took handfuls from fast food and other take out places, then took time to squeeze the contents into bottles or other containers.

If I have leftover packets of ketchup or soy sauce I toss them into the frig, then if I forget to use them within a few weeks I throw it out.  I can’t imagine saving s bunch then ‘squeezing’ them into a bottle.  :-\

NyaChan:
Ah I've got lots of these.  Here's one from my Dad's side of the family:

My uncle went out one morning to pick a few items from Costco or Sam's.  He came back close to lunch time - this side of the family is obsessed with food!  But when his wife asked him what he wanted for lunch he just started laughing.  Then comes out the story of the "Treasure Hunt Buffet," as he called it.  Apparently he just went around the store trying every sampling station they had and then went around again until he wasn't hungry anymore.  He thought it was both funny and smart of him to get a meal out of it for free.

Thipu1:
The soy story is pretty extreme..  We keep good sized jars of condiments at home.  When we travel, we may try to bring a few extra packets of the things, just in case.

Soy does not enter into this equation.  The stuff is cheap and readily available.  We do refill the little table bottles of soy but we refill them from a half-gallon bottle we keep in the fridge.

MIL can save to the point of becoming a cheapskates.  We remember a family vacation.  We were staying at a time-share in Florida.  Every meal we ate in the apartment was accompanied by napkins with 'The Ten Safe Rules of Skiing' printed them in red. Every time they went skiing, MIL would open   a napkin dispenser and empty the thing.  It was a little surreal. 

When they retired, both my parents and Mr. Thipu's parents thought that they could make do with
one tea bag for two people.  Both sets of parents soon decided that wasn't the best of ideas.       

reflection5:
A couple of ex-coworkers bragged about how they would walk thru the lobby of a downtown hotel, find out of there was a convention with a buffet (at lunchtime) and somehow mingle and help themselves.  (I remember thinking: This is something to brag about?  :-\ )  I don’t know if they every got confronted or tossed out; if so, they would never admit it.

RingTailedLemur:

--- Quote from: Thipu1 on March 31, 2013, 12:33:35 PM ---
When they retired, both my parents and Mr. Thipu's parents thought that they could make do with
one tea bag for two people.  Both sets of parents soon decided that wasn't the best of ideas.     

--- End quote ---

We do that.  It's fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version