Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 206561 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1005 on: August 18, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
^^Wasn't aiming specifically at your post - tho I do see reusing jars more as frugal, not cheapskatey.  :) YMMV

Suppose I set the bar for cheapskate much higher, based on the OP:

Thereís thrifty, or frugal, which is fine.  Nothing wrong with saving money or getting something for a reduced price or even free.  But then there are situations which cross the line into cheapskate territory.  (I want to make it clear that Iím not making fun of people who canít afford (whatever) or people who are struggling and going thru tough times, so letís not go there.)

Snip

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1006 on: August 18, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »
I'm rather frugal too but when it comes to my favorite fragrance I'm willing to spend some money.  I used to shop at Bath and Body Works but I've grown really tired of the turnaround of their fragrances.  And the fact that most of the ones I do like get discontinued in favor of scents that really don't appeal to me and seem aimed at a younger demographic with a disposable income that can afford to be fickle. 

*not saying everyone in such a demographic is, but just speculating as to the mentality of the corporation*

So these days I wear Inis, Energy of the Sea.  It costs more per bottle (though I did score a free set through a contest on fbook! :D ) but this fragrance has been around since I was in high school and stayed the same so I don't have to worry about them discontinuing it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

veronaz

« Reply #1007 on: August 18, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »
^ So what am I missing?  How is that a cheapskate story?  ???

otterwoman

« Reply #1008 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:19 PM »
Cheapskate; my FIL, who HAS dental insurance, pulls his own teeth rather than see the dentist! For chipped teeth he uses a dremel! Yikes!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1009 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »
Cheapskate; my FIL, who HAS dental insurance, pulls his own teeth rather than see the dentist! For chipped teeth he uses a dremel! Yikes!

Wow!

My jaw has well and truly dropped (and is aching a bit just thinking about that one).

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1010 on: August 18, 2013, 10:56:10 PM »
So that is why my dremel came with a warning that it was not to be used for dental work (really!).

medowynd

« Reply #1011 on: August 19, 2013, 04:02:51 AM »
I heard this story from a friend of my husband.  This friend was a doctor and he knew a doctor that gave himself a vasectomy.  I didn't ask for details.  Apparently, this doctor had five kids and his wife refused to consent to a vasectomy, so he did it himself.  All I can say is, ouch.  I don't know if the wife ever caught on why there were no more children.

magicdomino

« Reply #1012 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

:o  And I thought my mother was bad Supergluing a broken tooth. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1013 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »

When my father's denture broke, he fixed it with pliobond. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1014 on: August 19, 2013, 11:16:43 AM »
^ So what am I missing?  How is that a cheapskate story?  ???

It's not so much a cheapskate story as being frugal though I've been accused of being cheap in the past.  And I can be, I admit.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

nuit93

« Reply #1015 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
I heard this story from a friend of my husband.  This friend was a doctor and he knew a doctor that gave himself a vasectomy.  I didn't ask for details.  Apparently, this doctor had five kids and his wife refused to consent to a vasectomy, so he did it himself.  All I can say is, ouch.  I don't know if the wife ever caught on why there were no more children.

I heard a similar story of a guy who was a doctor who didn't do it quite himself, he had another doctor do most of it and he assisted.  That's got to be a bit tricky to do one's self.

amylouky

« Reply #1016 on: August 19, 2013, 02:02:48 PM »

When my father's denture broke, he fixed it with pliobond.

I superglued my retainer together a few times in high school. Not because I was a cheapskate really, just didn't want to deal with the Wrath of Dad. :)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1017 on: August 19, 2013, 03:23:18 PM »
Compared to other stories here, this is extremely mild.  Anyway, many years ago, I worked in a program for the chonically mentally ill.  The Director of the program liked to hold his money on the close side.

The Director purchased a painting at a second hand store, not a great painting, but nice, and well worth more than the $10 he paid for it.  (Or at least I would have paid more). 

The frame was starting to work loose on one side, but some glue and a clamp should have done it.  Instead, Director decided to ask one of the higher functioning clients to fix it because client was a journeyman carpenter.

Except he wasn't.  Client had no skills at all.  Director gets his framed picture back, and there are nails everywhere: gouging great holes in the frame, pushed completly through the frame and sticking through the picture.  And he didn't fix the part that needed to be fixed.

At least it only cost Director $10.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

bloo

« Reply #1018 on: August 19, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
Compared to other stories here, this is extremely mild.  Anyway, many years ago, I worked in a program for the chonically mentally ill.  The Director of the program liked to hold his money on the close side.

The Director purchased a painting at a second hand store, not a great painting, but nice, and well worth more than the $10 he paid for it.  (Or at least I would have paid more). 

The frame was starting to work loose on one side, but some glue and a clamp should have done it.  Instead, Director decided to ask one of the higher functioning clients to fix it because client was a journeyman carpenter.

Except he wasn't.  Client had no skills at all.  Director gets his framed picture back, and there are nails everywhere: gouging great holes in the frame, pushed completly through the frame and sticking through the picture.  And he didn't fix the part that needed to be fixed.

At least it only cost Director $10.

This almost belongs in the thread of things that are funny but I shouldn't be laughing at.

But this part:

Instead, Director decided to ask one of the higher functioning clients to fix it because client was a journeyman carpenter.

Except he wasn't.  Client had no skills at all.   Director gets his framed picture back, and there are nails everywhere: gouging great holes in the frame, pushed completly through the frame and sticking through the picture.  And he didn't fix the part that needed to be fixed.

So was the director imagining that the client was a journeyman carpenter? Or did he believe the client claiming to be one?

Maybe I'm going to heck but your post has me LMBO!  ;D

padua

« Reply #1019 on: August 19, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »
i was invited to dinner with an elderly lady who thought it a farce to buy and use dishsoap. after all, "my mother never used the stuff so neither should i." unfortunately, i was only told after dinner when i was helping her clean up. i can't tell you how i felt after looking in that soup pot after she 'cleaned it by hand.' even now i get nauseated thinking about it. that thing has years of grime accumulated in it. dishsoap in and of itself may not have scrubbed that pot clean (contrary to various commercials out there), but at least most of the bacteria would have been killed off.

in theory.