Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 213157 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1020 on: August 19, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
My GrammaH's neighbor had one dishpan. She used it to wash her dishes and her undies in it.  ???

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1021 on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »
The Director believed the client when he said that he was a journeyman carpenter.  However, common sense should have kicked in at some point because: Client is delusional!  That's what made him a client! 

I guess for Director the siren call of saving money overrode all common sense.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

bloo

« Reply #1022 on: August 19, 2013, 04:18:12 PM »
The Director believed the client when he said that he was a journeyman carpenter.  However, common sense should have kicked in at some point because: Client is delusional!  That's what made him a client! 

I guess for Director the siren call of saving money overrode all common sense.

Literally Lol'ing as I type this!  ;D

Hopefully Director doesn't listen to any clients that claim to be nurses or doctors and let them walk right out the door.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1023 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:06 PM »
amylouky wrote:

"I superglued my retainer together a few times in high school. Not because I was a cheapskate really, just didn't want to deal with the Wrath of Dad."

Using superglue on a retainer or dentures isn't really cheapskate stuff, since it will work pretty well on those things and it's not going to hurt if it doesn't work.  Using it on a tooth, however, is plumb foolish because it's just begging for an abcess that could cause serious health problems and LOTS of pain, since you'd be sealing in a host of bacteria that would then happily go to work on the inside of your tooth.

I don't think I even have to address how wrong it is to try to use a Dremel tool for personal dentistry.

Virg

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1024 on: August 19, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
amylouky wrote:

"I superglued my retainer together a few times in high school. Not because I was a cheapskate really, just didn't want to deal with the Wrath of Dad."

Using superglue on a retainer or dentures isn't really cheapskate stuff, since it will work pretty well on those things and it's not going to hurt if it doesn't work.  Using it on a tooth, however, is plumb foolish because it's just begging for an abcess that could cause serious health problems and LOTS of pain, since you'd be sealing in a host of bacteria that would then happily go to work on the inside of your tooth.

I don't think I even have to address how wrong it is to try to use a Dremel tool for personal dentistry.

Virg

I couldn't agree more.  I mean, hello.. pliers!  A person needs to learn the right tool for the job.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #1025 on: August 19, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »

I couldn't agree more.  I mean, hello.. pliers!  A person needs to learn the right tool for the job.

New computer screen, please.
"We ate the pies."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1026 on: August 19, 2013, 06:14:09 PM »

When you're six years old, a LOT of things seem like a good idea.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1027 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »

Oh, yes!  When I was a kid, one of the little girls in the neighborhood found out that the Tooth Fairy would leave you MONEY for your teeth!  So she offered to split it with her older brother and had him pull out all the teeth that he could wiggle loose with the pliers.  "Look, Mommy, I've got a LOT of teeth for the Tooth Fairy!" Mommy darned near fainted.  It was several years before the girl had a full set of teeth again, since they'd pulled out several that weren't even close to being loose.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

BB-VA

« Reply #1028 on: August 19, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
amylouky wrote:

Virg

I lost a couple of baby teeth to pliers in my dad's hands.

(the dimes were worth it - at the time anyway)
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

DynoMite

« Reply #1029 on: August 19, 2013, 11:39:49 PM »

Oh, yes!  When I was a kid, one of the little girls in the neighborhood found out that the Tooth Fairy would leave you MONEY for your teeth!  So she offered to split it with her older brother and had him pull out all the teeth that he could wiggle loose with the pliers.  "Look, Mommy, I've got a LOT of teeth for the Tooth Fairy!" Mommy darned near fainted.  It was several years before the girl had a full set of teeth again, since they'd pulled out several that weren't even close to being loose.

Oh. My. Gosh. I think I might faint.

Iris

« Reply #1030 on: August 20, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »

Oh. My. Gosh. I think I might faint.

How did that girl turn out? I can't tell if she would turn out as a super rich person due to her sheer determination to get money, or as a failure because she didn't correctly weigh present costs against future earnings...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1031 on: August 20, 2013, 01:43:57 AM »
I'm more wondering about her pain tolerance...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Carotte

« Reply #1032 on: August 20, 2013, 07:47:04 AM »
Holly carp  :o
I'm speachless. Most parents only have to look out for the "look mommy, I gave myself a haircut!".

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1033 on: August 20, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
I never knew anyone who did that but had I been the parent I would have freaked out.

As a person whose teeth aren't beautiful I can't imagine how this child's permanent teeth might have been affected by this.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1034 on: August 20, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
I never knew anyone who did that but had I been the parent I would have freaked out.

As a person whose teeth aren't beautiful I can't imagine how this child's permanent teeth might have been affected by this.
She needed substantial orthodontia, since there were no neighboring teeth to guide the new ones as they erupted.  How she turned out, I don't know, as we moved away from there when I was in my teens.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.