Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 221736 times)

Carotte

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1035 on: August 23, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
Ok so this one is not cheapskate, I'd say 'opportunist spender' :).
While vacationing in the UK I tried to stockpile aspirin. See, I got 7 boxes of 16 tablets each for 2.03£  (3.10$- 2.30€), that's 0.19£ the aspirin! (you don't even need to figure that out, it's printed on the price tag :) ).
I probably couldn't find a box of 10 for that price here!

The only problem to my stockpiling scheme (we go through a lot of aspirin with my SO) is that you cannot buy more than 2 boxes (or 32 tablets) of pain killer per purchase in the UK, and I wasn't going to go multiple times with a different disguise so I just tried to go in a Boots (pharmacy and drugstore store that are everywhere in the UK) everytime it was convenient.

But yeah, the pharmacy and general drugstore prices could almost be attractive enough to think about doing a yearly trip just to stockpile on stuff.  ::)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1036 on: August 23, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Ok so this one is not cheapskate, I'd say 'opportunist spender' :) .
While vacationing in the UK I tried to stockpile aspirin. See, I got 7 boxes of 16 tablets each for 2.03£  (3.10$- 2.30€), that's 0.19£ the aspirin! (you don't even need to figure that out, it's printed on the price tag :) ).

The only problem to my stockpiling scheme (we go through a lot of aspirin with my SO) is that you cannot buy more than 2 boxes (or 32 tablets) of pain killer per purchase in the UK, and I wasn't going to go multiple times with a different disguise so I just tried to go in a Boots (pharmacy and drugstore store that are everywhere in the UK) everytime it was convenient.

But yeah, the pharmacy and general drugstore prices could almost be attractive enough to think about doing a yearly trip just to stockpile on stuff.  ::)
For aspirin? That's insane! Aspirin is dead cheap here in the US.  CVS house brand is $.99 for 120 uncoated tablets.  Most bottles of aspirin are 100 pills.  And no one cares how many bottles you buy.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

AliciaLynette

« Reply #1037 on: August 24, 2013, 04:35:18 AM »

For aspirin? That's insane! Aspirin is dead cheap here in the US.  CVS house brand is $.99 for 120 uncoated tablets.  Most bottles of aspirin are 100 pills.  And no one cares how many bottles you buy.

It's generally done in order that someone who's having suicidal thoughts can't just go buy 100 tablets and then do whatever they were thinking of.  It's not just aspirin though, it's any OTC pain medication that could be lethal in overdose amounts.
You can however buy two packets in one shop, then walk down the street to the next shop and buy two packets and then walk to the next shop etc, so it's no major deterrent if someone's dead set on harming themselves, but for the person who sees the pills on the shelf and thinks "Maybe I'll do that" has time to really think about it before they can gather enough pills.

It is a pain for people like me though, where I'll be fine for months, and then have a batch of 8 or 9 bad headaches over a week.  I solve it by buying a couple of packs every time I'm in Boots, and since I pass a couple of Boots every week, I usually have enough packets in the house that I could take 2 pills a day for a month and not run out!!
Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners.
Author Unknown

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #1038 on: August 24, 2013, 06:31:36 AM »
Carotte some cheap advice.

don't get them from boots. go to a supermarket they will be a lot cheaper there. Also it's a restriction per transaction. So if you want to stock up in one go get as many packs as you can and go when it's quite. Use the self service area and just do lots and lots of little transactions.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1039 on: August 24, 2013, 10:24:20 AM »

I don't think Carrote is from the US but in Europe.

I am not in Europe but I just paid the equivalent of $6 for an 18 pack of aspirin.

Hillia

« Reply #1040 on: August 24, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »
That's interesting.  I just looked; my local Walgreens (major national chain) has 2 500-count bottles of store brand aspirin for $8.  I am awful at currency conversion, but is that roughly 6 euro for 1000 tablets?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1041 on: August 24, 2013, 11:58:30 AM »

I am not in Europe but I just paid the equivalent of $6 for an 18 pack of aspirin.

Where is that jaw drop smiley.  Holy mackerel that's a lot of money

Carotte

« Reply #1042 on: August 24, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »

Yes I'm in Europe, France to be exact, where the price of aspirin is not regulated so it won't even be the same price from one pharmacy to the other  ::).

We don't have 'household name brand' like the 'boots aspirine value pack' or the 'tasco aspirine value pack' since it's only sold in a 'genuine' pharmacy and I don't think we have any kind of chain of pharmacy, at least no national ones that have hundreds and hundreds of stores and can think about having their own brand name aspirin.
I guess they don't see why they should lower their price, no one knows it can be so much cheaper (Even I, with a good 15+ trips to the UK didn't know it was so cheap there).

Hillia

« Reply #1043 on: August 24, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

Yes I'm in Europe, France to be exact, where the price of aspirin is not regulated so it won't even be the same price from one pharmacy to the other  ::).

We don't have 'household name brand' like the 'boots aspirine value pack' or the 'tasco aspirine value pack' since it's only sold in a 'genuine' pharmacy and I don't think we have any kind of chain of pharmacy, at least no national ones that have hundreds and hundreds of stores and can think about having their own brand name aspirin.
I guess they don't see why they should lower their price, no one knows it can be so much cheaper (Even I, with a good 15+ trips to the UK didn't know it was so cheap there).

Is it legal to order aspirin online?  Because even with shipping, you could save a ton ordering from Amazon or elsewhere.  A very fast look at Amazon has Equate brand (a generic sold at WalMart in the US), 500 capsules for $2.38.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #1044 on: August 24, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
I hate to say this but £2.03 for aspirin is a lot of money.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255124647

They are 2p a pill.
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

selkiewoman

« Reply #1045 on: August 24, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
I stockpile tylenol with codeine, which is OTC in the UK.  It is a very low dose of codeine, but nice to have on hand for headaches, toothaches etc., really lets you get on top of the pain fast.  Lest you think I'm a raging junkie, I came back to the states with about 200 three years ago and I still have 6.  Time for another trip!

Carotte

« Reply #1046 on: August 24, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
I hate to say this but £2.03 for aspirin is a lot of money.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255124647

They are 2p a pill.

It was 2.03£ for 112 aspirines. Boots is 0.29£ for 16, only 5p more (the box) than Tesco.

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #1047 on: August 24, 2013, 06:31:08 PM »
ahh i miss understood. Sorry

Carotte

« Reply #1048 on: August 24, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
ahh i miss understood. Sorry

No problem, I admit I wasn't very clear mixing the cost/number per box and total number of tablets  :D
And actually you weren't far off, even in Boots there are some aspirins (or paracetamol) tablets that have some add-on or something and they are closer to 1.5 or 2£ the box.
I'm happy with the basic ones, although the "aspirin+paracetamol+caffeine" tablets must be a life saver when you just can't afford to be sick and need that kick in the system to stay up.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1049 on: August 30, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
I have a cheapskate story to tell on myself!

I bought a pinata for my 3-year-old's birthday last week.  Usually I make them at home, but I got lazy and bought this one.  It was a pull-string pinata, so each kid pulls a string, and you wait until one kid pulls the right right and the pouch opens and candy falls out.  We used the pinata and had a lot of fun.

And then it occurs to me... the pinata is not all that beat up.  I could just sort of tape the compartment back closed, put new strings on, and replace any tissue paper that got too messed up with new tissue paper in the same color.  Easier than making my own, and I have two more kids who might want Elmo parties when they're 2/3.

I think it's sensible.  But there's just something that sounds so cheapskate about reusing a pinata!