Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 207082 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1050 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
I have a cheapskate story to tell on myself!

I bought a pinata for my 3-year-old's birthday last week.  Usually I make them at home, but I got lazy and bought this one.  It was a pull-string pinata, so each kid pulls a string, and you wait until one kid pulls the right right and the pouch opens and candy falls out.  We used the pinata and had a lot of fun.

And then it occurs to me... the pinata is not all that beat up.  I could just sort of tape the compartment back closed, put new strings on, and replace any tissue paper that got too messed up with new tissue paper in the same color.  Easier than making my own, and I have two more kids who might want Elmo parties when they're 2/3.

I think it's sensible.  But there's just something that sounds so cheapskate about reusing a pinata!

I don't think its being cheap at all, but smart and thrifty. I reuse stuff all the time, gift bags, and even holiday gift tags. i made a bunch of handmade ones several years ago as a gift for my mom, and we re-use the best of them! 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1051 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
I actually got peeved last month when I noticed that a friend balled up the tissue paper wrapping on her birthday gifts and put it in the nice gift bag to toss.  I'm considering using Starbucks tote bags from now on.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1052 on: August 30, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »
I like the idea of a reusable piņata.  If it's reasonably salvageable, keeping the thing makes perfect sense. 

I've heard of young children who had a bit of distress when a piņata in the shape of an animal or person was destroyed.  Having Elmo attend several parties is a nice idea. 

We also keep and reuse gift bags. So long as they're in decent condition, they can be used to package gifts for others.  If the seams are starting to go, we'll tape them up and use them to package gifts for each other.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1053 on: August 30, 2013, 11:13:33 AM »
I love the idea of a "pull string" pinata.  I've never heard of it before but it's so much kinder and gentler and safer than the "hit it with a stick until it breaks" kind.

Once at a school festival I saw a kid trying to hit the pinata with a broom handle type stick and he was really swinging it hard.  He hit another kid (totally accidentally) on the arm and it left a HUGE welt and bruise. 

And of course the animal (pinata) was all crushed, smashed and spattered too.  I do think it was disturbing to some of the more sensitive children.

And if you have room to store it, I think your idea of reusing it is wonderful.  Keeps it out of the landfill and every child in your family gets to enjoy having Elmo attend his/her party, so no favoritism! 

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #1054 on: August 30, 2013, 02:12:16 PM »
I actually got peeved last month when I noticed that a friend balled up the tissue paper wrapping on her birthday gifts and put it in the nice gift bag to toss.  I'm considering using Starbucks tote bags from now on.

You're my sister from another mister.

squeakers

« Reply #1055 on: August 30, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »

Use a kitchen towel instead of tissue paper: covers the real gift and is more green than tissue paper. Bonus if you can find a towel that is like the gift ie you bought a book and the towel has writing on it, Star Wars DVD set with a towel covered in stars, kitchen utensil with towel decorated with food.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

kymom3

« Reply #1056 on: August 30, 2013, 03:09:19 PM »
Squeakers I love that idea!  I hate to see people throw tissue away and I also reuse gift bags.

Kitchen towels from the dollar store will be about the same price or just a little more than tissue paper.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1057 on: August 30, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
I have a cheapskate story to tell on myself!

I bought a pinata for my 3-year-old's birthday last week.  Usually I make them at home, but I got lazy and bought this one.  It was a pull-string pinata, so each kid pulls a string, and you wait until one kid pulls the right right and the pouch opens and candy falls out.  We used the pinata and had a lot of fun.

And then it occurs to me... the pinata is not all that beat up.  I could just sort of tape the compartment back closed, put new strings on, and replace any tissue paper that got too messed up with new tissue paper in the same color.  Easier than making my own, and I have two more kids who might want Elmo parties when they're 2/3.

I think it's sensible.  But there's just something that sounds so cheapskate about reusing a pinata!

Thrifty is reusing it on your little kids.  Cheapskate is making your 13 year old use it.

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1058 on: August 30, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
In defense of the people who have thrown away tissue paper and gift bags...DH and I save that stuff too.  Except that we saved so many (baby showers, etc.) that we'd never use it all, and had to start throwing some of it away for space reasons.  So bear in mind that the person throwing them away may not have been wasteful--their closets may just already be bursting with them!  :D
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1059 on: August 30, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
I like the idea of a reusable piņata.  If it's reasonably salvageable, keeping the thing makes perfect sense. 

I've heard of young children who had a bit of distress when a piņata in the shape of an animal or person was destroyed.  Having Elmo attend several parties is a nice idea. 

We also keep and reuse gift bags. So long as they're in decent condition, they can be used to package gifts for others.  If the seams are starting to go, we'll tape them up and use them to package gifts for each other.  There's nothing wrong with that.
I make Xmas gifts bags out of fabric.  They come in very handy, especially for odd-shaped things like toys that are impossible to wrap neatly.  Just drop the gift in and tie the ribbons shut.  And it takes about the same amount of time to make a reusable fabric bag as it does to paper-wrap the stuff.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #1060 on: August 30, 2013, 04:06:30 PM »
Except that we saved so many (baby showers, etc.) that we'd never use it all, and had to start throwing some of it away for space reasons.

Freecycle!  I got rid of a TON of gift bags last year that way, and they were snapped up immediately.  In fact, I got rid of a bunch of unused Valentines from when my kids were small (the cute little ones with Spiderman or Cinderella on them), unused Christmas cards, streamers, goodie bags ... you name it.  It freed up a lot of space in my study and made a Freecycler VERY happy.  :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1061 on: August 30, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »

I agree. 

One woman from our church texted me earlier this week to see if I'd be interested in helping her organize a costume exchange.  I think it's a great idea, as expensive as costumes can get.  One year my middle son wanted to be Harry Potter.  I swear that costume ended up costing us about $40, at least because all that was in the bag was the robe and that cost at least $25, then you had to buy the glasses, wand, and Gryffindor tie separately at $10 each. 

So the thought of exchanging costumes is a great one, I think.  I've taken to putting together costumes from what I have at home, while just buying maybe one or two extra pieces.  This year I'm wanting to dress up as Tonks from Harry Potter and am trying to figure out how I can pull that off without buying much more than a pair of fingerless gloves for $10 from Hot Topic.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1062 on: August 30, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »

Use a kitchen towel instead of tissue paper: covers the real gift and is more green than tissue paper. Bonus if you can find a towel that is like the gift ie you bought a book and the towel has writing on it, Star Wars DVD set with a towel covered in stars, kitchen utensil with towel decorated with food.

Brilliant!

CuriousParty

« Reply #1063 on: August 30, 2013, 09:17:09 PM »
Except that we saved so many (baby showers, etc.) that we'd never use it all, and had to start throwing some of it away for space reasons.

Freecycle!  I got rid of a TON of gift bags last year that way, and they were snapped up immediately.  In fact, I got rid of a bunch of unused Valentines from when my kids were small (the cute little ones with Spiderman or Cinderella on them), unused Christmas cards, streamers, goodie bags ... you name it.  It freed up a lot of space in my study and made a Freecycler VERY happy.  :)
Goodwill takes them, too!

Iris

« Reply #1064 on: August 30, 2013, 09:53:56 PM »

I've heard of young children who had a bit of distress when a piņata in the shape of an animal or person was destroyed. Having Elmo attend several parties is a nice idea. 

OTOH I have been amazed and extremely amused with the ruthlessness that small children will beat a cute animal with a stick if there's LOLLIES to be had! Once when I made a pinata it was a bit tough and one particularly angelic looking girl stepped in when all others had failed, hit it hard enough to break the string holding it up and then proceeded to beat it with a stick while it lay helpless on the ground until she GOT HER LOLLIES!!!! Hilarious.

Of course this was more in the 5ish age group, I can see how it might distress very young ones.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.