A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cheapskate stories

<< < (215/354) > >>

jedikaiti:
Actually, according to the article, the yeast breaks down the alcohol before it gets absorbed - well, some of it. Bread, it seems to me, would just absorb it and delay absorption by your body. Someone who knows better can feel free to correct me.

Personally, I drink beer because I love the taste, and while the milder effects (tongue loosening, relaxant) are pleasant, I do not enjoy inebriation. And since the beers I really like tend to have higher ABV (alcohol by volume), and don't come in non-alcohol versions, well, I may be testing out the yeast trick very soon.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: jedikaiti on April 25, 2014, 09:48:23 PM ---Actually, according to the article, the yeast breaks down the alcohol before it gets absorbed - well, some of it. Bread, it seems to me, would just absorb it and delay absorption by your body. Someone who knows better can feel free to correct me.

Personally, I drink beer because I love the taste, and while the milder effects (tongue loosening, relaxant) are pleasant, I do not enjoy inebriation. And since the beers I really like tend to have higher ABV (alcohol by volume), and don't come in non-alcohol versions, well, I may be testing out the yeast trick very soon.

--- End quote ---

Yeast doesn't metabolize alcohol. Alcohol is a by-product of yeast metabolism; that's what fermentation is. Yeast-pee if you will. Some yeast strains can survive in the human gut. There's a documented phenomenon of people being drunk without drinking. Their flora produce enough alcohol to intoxicate them.

Most yeasts die off at fairly low alcohol concentration. It depends on the strain but your average baking yeast probably gives up around 4% ABV. Wine yeasts can survive up to about 14%.

There are bacteria that metabolize alcohol. Saccaromyces sanfrancisco is what makes sourdough in a symbiotic relationship with the yeast. "Mother of vinegar" contains alcohol eating bacteria, resulting in vinegar.

I doubt that eating yeast can prevent or limit intoxication. Eating any kind of food will slow alcohol absorbtion.

artk2002:
One thing... Mrs.k2002 pointed out that yeast is fairly high in vitamin B12, which may help with intoxication. Take a B12 pill instead of the yeast.

jedikaiti:
OK, I REALLY want Mythbusters to do an ep on this now.

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on April 25, 2014, 10:28:33 PM ---One thing... Mrs.k2002 pointed out that yeast is fairly high in vitamin B12, which may help with intoxication. Take a B12 pill instead of the yeast.

--- End quote ---

B12 is also what a lot of those energy drinks contain.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version