Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 213832 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1095 on: April 26, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
Before the local refuse utility put a weight limit on the garbage cans one of our (the children) jobs growing up was to get into the garbage can and jump around in it to compress the garbage so dad wouldn't have to pay for a second can.

LOL!!  We pay by the bag (although we have free recycling of anything that can be recycled).  We STILL stand in the wastebaskets to compress the trash as much as possible!  You'd think we'd outgrow that, but nah.  We're in our seventies and still do it.  I guess we're practicing for that "one foot in the grave" pose.   ;D

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #1096 on: April 26, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
Maybe having to carry one bag instead instead of 2 or 3.

I think it was George Carlin(?) who had a funny one-liner in his routine when trash compactors were popular: it turns 30 pounds of trash into 30 pounds of trash.  ;D

snowfire

« Reply #1097 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:47 PM »
A certain relative used to try to go to the bathroom at work only, not at home, so that it was not his TP or water being used......

alkira6

« Reply #1098 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
A certain relative used to try to go to the bathroom at work only, not at home, so that it was not his TP or water being used......

Wow. You win.

veronaz

« Reply #1099 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »

:o :o What?!   

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #1100 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »
Huh- I know some people that try NOT to use the restroom at work/school, for personal reasons.  Wonder if I could mention the cheapskate method to get them to "give it a whirl?"  LOL

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1101 on: April 26, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »

I think it was George Carlin(?) who had a funny one-liner in his routine when trash compactors were popular: it turns 30 pounds of trash into 30 pounds of trash.  ;D
[/quote

Yea, but it keeps the dog out of it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

doodlemor

« Reply #1102 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
Before the local refuse utility put a weight limit on the garbage cans one of our (the children) jobs growing up was to get into the garbage can and jump around in it to compress the garbage so dad wouldn't have to pay for a second can.

LOL!!  We pay by the bag (although we have free recycling of anything that can be recycled).  We STILL stand in the wastebaskets to compress the trash as much as possible!  You'd think we'd outgrow that, but nah.  We're in our seventies and still do it.  I guess we're practicing for that "one foot in the grave" pose.   ;D

My husband does that, too.  He gets his money's worth for every sticker on a bag. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1103 on: April 27, 2014, 01:10:48 AM »
Did he claim to have taken home 10 years worth of toilet paper in one trip on his bicycle?  A guy claimed that on another forum, and the only way I can see that is if he did most of his business at work. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1104 on: April 27, 2014, 08:13:21 AM »

Wow. You win.

Ok, now I've heard everything!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #1105 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »

[/quote

Yea, but it keeps the dog out of it.

^
Very true!

Margo

« Reply #1106 on: April 27, 2014, 12:03:11 PM »
I think I told this story here before, but I was once at the Lindt cafe. Those of you who know your Lindt might know that they sell their famous Lindor chocolate balls by the weight. So this one gentleman wanted to purchase a single Lindor ball. When she weighed it, it came up to about 11g, therefore costing $1.20. He insisted that the last time he was there, it had only weighed say 10g and cost $1.10. So he pulled out a different ball and demanded she weigh it. The remarkably patient cashier explained that they would all weigh the same, but he was only convinced after she weighed 3 separate balls.

The clincher was that there was a plate with about eight cookies as free samples. After he verified that they were indeed completely free, he took all eight cookies.

Over $1 for one chocolate ball? Yikes!

I was going to write a whole post of outrage, but then I notice from your profile that you're in Australia so perhaps that price is normal for chocolate.

I think they work out about 60p each here (UK) if you buy them individually, but they are worth it! Here, they're definitely not the cheapest chocolate yo can get but the are so nice i don't care ;-) (reminds me, I have a dark chocolate Lindt bunny I got for Eaaster and haven't started yet. . .

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1107 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:01 PM »
I think I told this story here before, but I was once at the Lindt cafe. Those of you who know your Lindt might know that they sell their famous Lindor chocolate balls by the weight. So this one gentleman wanted to purchase a single Lindor ball. When she weighed it, it came up to about 11g, therefore costing $1.20. He insisted that the last time he was there, it had only weighed say 10g and cost $1.10. So he pulled out a different ball and demanded she weigh it. The remarkably patient cashier explained that they would all weigh the same, but he was only convinced after she weighed 3 separate balls.

The clincher was that there was a plate with about eight cookies as free samples. After he verified that they were indeed completely free, he took all eight cookies.

Over $1 for one chocolate ball? Yikes!

I was going to write a whole post of outrage, but then I notice from your profile that you're in Australia so perhaps that price is normal for chocolate.

I think they work out about 60p each here (UK) if you buy them individually, but they are worth it! Here, they're definitely not the cheapest chocolate yo can get but the are so nice i don't care ;-) (reminds me, I have a dark chocolate Lindt bunny I got for Eaaster and haven't started yet. . .

Oh yes, I know there're worth it ;D. I'm lucky they're not too pricey here (or is that unlucky since I eat too much ;)) In the US, they are 3 for $1 or $3 (on sale) for a bag.

snowfire

« Reply #1108 on: April 27, 2014, 03:52:18 PM »
Nope, said relative didn't take home TP on a bike. (Would have liked to have seen someone try to take that much, though.)  They have done a truly cosmic amount of cheapskate stuff, though.  Some of which has had not so great side effects on other people.  (Lying about age of a child to get cheaper rates...resulting in child being grouped with those 2-3 years younger for activities & bored stiff.)

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1109 on: April 27, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
 Side note ever time this thread mentions TP , my add changes to one for a commercial waste removal company.