A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cheapskate stories

<< < (223/278) > >>

rose red:
I'm reminded of an aunt who drives about half hour and waste gas to put her garbage with ours because her area has a limit and ours didn't.

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: nayberry on April 26, 2014, 06:58:58 AM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on April 25, 2014, 11:19:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: jedikaiti on April 25, 2014, 10:48:23 PM ---Actually, according to the article, the yeast breaks down the alcohol before it gets absorbed - well, some of it. Bread, it seems to me, would just absorb it and delay absorption by your body. Someone who knows better can feel free to correct me.

Personally, I drink beer because I love the taste, and while the milder effects (tongue loosening, relaxant) are pleasant, I do not enjoy inebriation. And since the beers I really like tend to have higher ABV (alcohol by volume), and don't come in non-alcohol versions, well, I may be testing out the yeast trick very soon.

--- End quote ---

Yeast doesn't metabolize alcohol. Alcohol is a by-product of yeast metabolism; that's what fermentation is. Yeast-pee if you will. Some yeast strains can survive in the human gut. There's a documented phenomenon of people being drunk without drinking. Their flora produce enough alcohol to intoxicate them.

Most yeasts die off at fairly low alcohol concentration. It depends on the strain but your average baking yeast probably gives up around 4% ABV. Wine yeasts can survive up to about 14%.

There are bacteria that metabolize alcohol. Saccaromyces sanfrancisco is what makes sourdough in a symbiotic relationship with the yeast. "Mother of vinegar" contains alcohol eating bacteria, resulting in vinegar.

I doubt that eating yeast can prevent or limit intoxication. Eating any kind of food will slow alcohol absorbtion.

--- End quote ---

per the bolded, i do know someone who after 1 beer is beyond tipsy, yet wine barely affects them.

--- End quote ---

I swear this feels like the perfect placement for some Cliff Clavin "wisdom" but for the life of me I can't think of anything.  Though someone did share recently on fbook Cliff's logic for why some people feel smarter after having a few beers.

On a non-related topic, I confess to not wanting to pay the fee for some Power Wheels toys that had broken down.  Actually the PW motorcycle had been dumped on us already missing its battery and plastic seat.  I suspect when neighbor was moving, they didn't want to take it with them but didn't want to pay to dump it either.  My middle child is the Mr. Tim The Toolman Taylor of the household, Mr. Packrat and my Mr. "Don't dump it mom cause I think I can find a use for everything!" child.

In the interest of making our backyard look less tacky I put my foot down and said the broken down toys had to go so I packed them into the van and drove the 30 miles to another town's recycling center after finding out they would recycle large toys that wouldn't get picked up by curbside pickup and they'd take them for free! :D :D

Slartibartfast:
A man at my parents' church was a delivery driver for a paper mill for 40+ years.  This particular mill made toilet paper.  Sometimes there would be issues - a roll wouldn't get glued quite right, or there would be a problem with the machine and it'd be 2/3 its intended size, or whatever.  The mill let him take these rolls home in his own truck.  (Keep in mind, a "roll" in this case is ~12 feet long!)  It wasn't a scheduled thing, but it was apparently pretty frequent.

This guy would get the rolls home, cut them up on the bandsaw in his workshop, and give out garbage bags full of toilet paper for Christmas presents for his family.  Pretty much every year.

Worse, he didn't want to waste any, so he'd save all the scraps from that and keep a bag in each bathroom in the house.  Visitors (I never saw it, but my parents were at his house a few times) were expected to just dig out a scrap of about the right size from the bag - he never even kept actual rolls around, homemade or no.

He retired when I was still pretty small, but I wonder whether he still got to take home the "factory seconds" or whether that honor went to the new delivery driver . . .

Margo:
I have to say, I don't see that as particularly cheapskate. A garbage bag full of rolls of TP isn't an exciting christmas gift, but his family may have been perfectly happy to have something useful rather than knick-knacks.

With the bag - depends how small the pieces are. But if they are as big or bigger tan normal sheets I don't see the issue. Why would anyone 'dig' rather than just taking the top piece/es? Obviously it would be more of an issue if we are talking about tiny scraps of paper, but it doesn't sound that way from the description.

chibichan:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on April 27, 2014, 09:50:48 PM ---
I swear this feels like the perfect placement for some Cliff Clavin "wisdom" but for the life of me I can't think of anything.  Though someone did share recently on fbook Cliff's logic for why some people feel smarter after having a few beers.

--- End quote ---

"Due to the shape of the North American elk's esophagus, even if it could speak, it could not pronounce the word lasagna."

Sorry , but someone had to do it ....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version