Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 226254 times)

Shalamar

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1125 on: April 29, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »
When I was little, I was friends with the girl across the street.  My parents got to know her parents as a result, and while the mother (Jane) was nice, the father (Bob) was a piece of work:

• Jane was a stay-at-home mom and never had any money of her own.  Bob didn't see why she should have any (I think he was afraid she'd leave him if she got any savings).
  • One time, my family had rented a cottage by the lake for a week during the summer.  Jane came to visit for a couple of days at my parents' invitation.  Bob dropped her and her kids off and started to drive away.  Jane yelled "Bob, wait!  I don't have any money!"  His response was to stuff a single dollar bill down her bra.  This was the 70's, true, but a buck wouldn't have gone too far for an adult and three children.
  • When they eventually sold their house, Bob took everything out of the house that wasn't nailed down.  Light bulbs and fixtures, you name it.  He tried to remove some of the plumbing but had to give up when it was too difficult.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #1126 on: April 29, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
Reusing dental floss.

I had a date with a guy once who talked about the new re-usable dental floss.  He figured the package he bought would last for years and years.  Walking out of the restaurant, past a CVS, he showed me the packages. 

Nope -- not reusable.  Instead it was those dental floss picks -- they have a little handle to help you reach your back teeth.  I love those things, but I only use them once.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

z_squared82

« Reply #1127 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
I work for a law firm.

Client is selling something (business, property, I don’t know what) for $Seven Figures, but wants Best Transactional Lawyer to get the purchase agreement done in two hours because he doesn’t want to pay for more than two hours of the lawyer’s time.

Again, Client is selling something for more than $1M, but doesn’t want to pay more than $600 for the agreement to be done correctly.

Lawyer told him that would not be possible.

Asharah

« Reply #1128 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
Reusing dental floss.

I had a date with a guy once who talked about the new re-usable dental floss.  He figured the package he bought would last for years and years.  Walking out of the restaurant, past a CVS, he showed me the packages. 

Nope -- not reusable.  Instead it was those dental floss picks -- they have a little handle to help you reach your back teeth.  I love those things, but I only use them once.
I get the ones with a piece of floss stretched across a plastic frame that you attach to a handle to reach the back teeth. I need something like that, since I have a small mouth and doing it with two hands and a piece of floss is impossible for me. I usually go through 2 or 3 of those every time I floss because the floss breaks before I'm done. Reuse? Are people insane?
Asharah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1129 on: April 29, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »
I hereby nominate my former landlord. He owns two houses, both with multiple apartments, which he's now selling. The problem is, the one I lived in, and my friend is moving out of, I know for a fact is falling apart. And I'm  guessing the other one is as well, since that was his mother's house.

Anyway, his idea of "fixing things" is more along the lines of slapping a band aid on it, rather than fixing the root of the issue. Which is coming back to bite him in the backside, as everyone who's looked at the house has seen what poor shape its in. there are two small apts on the first floor, my friend's 2 BR on the second, and mine, on the third, which reallys isn't legal, and actually, technically is part of the second floor unit.

Landlord is asking top dollar, but you can see the sloping floors, cracks in the wall,s and so on, and after this week, when my friend is gone from the second floor, and ALL her stuff is out, it will be even more noticeable. He also claims he's going to paint, refinish the floors etc. in my friend's old apt, but again, band aids,and when and if anyone signs a contract, once the home inspection is done, all bets are off.

He's also made noises about renting my friend's apt, even though the house is on the market!!!!  since he's losing the rent from my friend. And he doesn't NEED the money. he's just cheap and greedy. Can't wait to see how this all plays out.

heartmug

« Reply #1130 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
A certain relative used to try to go to the bathroom at work only, not at home, so that it was not his TP or water being used......

When I still lived with relatives, we had a neighbor that came over every morning to visit - but first had to use the bathroom.  Then she would brag that she had not bought t.paper in years & that one roll lasted her for months.

I had forgotten about this:  where we used to live, my son had a best friend "Dave."  Dave and son played well together.  When it was time for him to go home I would say "Dave time for you to go because we are about to eat dinner."  He would say "Ok, just let me go to the bathroom first."  After a few times of doing this (he lived directly across the street) I asked why he didn't just go at home.  His mom instructed him to always go the bathroom at someone else's house.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

alkira6

« Reply #1131 on: April 29, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
These bathroom stories are reminding me of the students down the hall who would steal toilet paper.  We had suits that were a double room, bathroom, double room on the other side.  Despite all of the things that we argued about, my roommate and I both agreed that our tp would not be left in the bathroom. Our suitemates would take a brand new roll back into their room whenever we put it out and never, ever bought tp.  I went through an entire pack of double roll tp the first week because one of them would remove it as soon as I put it in.

They complained to us and to the RA, who looked at them as if they were nuts and told them to buy their own paper.  They then stole the humongous roll from the lobby bathroom.  I know this because they were seen stealing it and were charged $30 for the roll and I heard them complaining about it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1132 on: April 29, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »
When I was little, I was friends with the girl across the street.  My parents got to know her parents as a result, and while the mother (Jane) was nice, the father (Bob) was a piece of work:

• Jane was a stay-at-home mom and never had any money of her own.  Bob didn't see why she should have any (I think he was afraid she'd leave him if she got any savings).
  • One time, my family had rented a cottage by the lake for a week during the summer.  Jane came to visit for a couple of days at my parents' invitation.  Bob dropped her and her kids off and started to drive away.  Jane yelled "Bob, wait!  I don't have any money!"  His response was to stuff a single dollar bill down her bra.  This was the 70's, true, but a buck wouldn't have gone too far for an adult and three children.
  • When they eventually sold their house, Bob took everything out of the house that wasn't nailed down.  Light bulbs and fixtures, you name it.  He tried to remove some of the plumbing but had to give up when it was too difficult.

On top of the greediness and self-centeredness of "Bob" in this post,t he thing where he stuffed a single dollar bill down her bra?  That's incredibly insulting.  I'd probably have given him the cold shoulder from then on out if I'd witnessed that (unless it was obviously an inside joke between the two and she seemed amused).

YoginiSaysYes

« Reply #1133 on: April 29, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »
This is a pretty typical example of cheapskatedness, but it happened to my roommate last week and it made me SO mad!

Her coworker (CW) invited her to go out with her and her friends. RM (roommate) had not met any of the girls except CW before, and she's new in town so she was looking forward to making new friends.

They went to a very nice place for dinner, and my roommate ordered a $15 salad and had water as she does not drink. One of the friends ordered, I believe, an appetizer, a meat entree, and three glasses of wine. You can see where this is going.

When the bill came, the girl with the hearty appetite announced, "Everyone owes X!" RM very politely (I wasn't there, but I have no doubt she was polite) said, "Actually, my total comes out to X, and here's extra for tip."

The other girl literally did not speak to her the rest of the night.

The best part is apparently all through dinner this girl was talking about how much she makes and how her parents pay her rent and blahblahblah, and she expects someone else to subsidize her splurges? No, thank you.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1134 on: April 29, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

When the bill came, the girl with the hearty appetite announced, "Everyone owes X!" RM very politely (I wasn't there, but I have no doubt she was polite) said, "Actually, my total comes out to X, and here's extra for tip."

Yay for your roommate!! That's such great assertiveness.

Carotte

« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
This is a pretty typical example of cheapskatedness, but it happened to my roommate last week and it made me SO mad!

Her coworker (CW) invited her to go out with her and her friends. RM (roommate) had not met any of the girls except CW before, and she's new in town so she was looking forward to making new friends.

They went to a very nice place for dinner, and my roommate ordered a $15 salad and had water as she does not drink. One of the friends ordered, I believe, an appetizer, a meat entree, and three glasses of wine. You can see where this is going.

The best part is apparently all through dinner this girl was talking about how much she makes and how her parents pay her rent and blahblahblah, and she expects someone else to subsidize her splurges? No, thank you.

Way to go for RM! I hope it gives the other girls some ideas and some spine polish too.

alkira6

« Reply #1136 on: April 29, 2014, 02:46:38 PM »

On top of the greediness and self-centeredness of "Bob" in this post,t he thing where he stuffed a single dollar bill down her bra?  That's incredibly insulting.  I'd probably have given him the cold shoulder from then on out if I'd witnessed that (unless it was obviously an inside joke between the two and she seemed amused).

Yeah, my husband has a habit of saying "Money's on the dresser chocolate." as he puts on his jacket and grabs his keys.  This is  a reference from a movie that we both find hilarious.  Not so funny when said in front of others who don't get the joke.

He gets tips at his job and pays for things in large rolls of ones.  If someone asks about it he looks at them and tells them that he is a dancer. he does this with a completely straight face and people don't know whether to laugh at the five foot 7 inch skinny hairy white guy or make this face  :o  at the thought of him "dancing".

EMuir

« Reply #1137 on: April 29, 2014, 02:55:09 PM »
It wasn't until I grew up that I realized how we had money for Dad's hobbies but not for Mom.  We had a satellite dish in the 80's, but Mom was still using a two stage washing machine where she had to physically move the clothes from the wash to the spin compartment.  And a regular washing machine would not even be a *fun* thing to get for Mom, like a satellite dish was for Dad! 

My Dad also agreed to pay for my University education.  But he taught me the WORST budgeting habits.  He didn't want to give me any more than I absolutely needed, and personality wise I hated asking for money, so I learned that when I was in dire straits I could ask for more money and get it.  Then I got my first credit card.  Imagine how well that worked out... not having to ask for money! I recovered from that eventually.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #1138 on: April 29, 2014, 03:35:01 PM »
I was a maid of honor in a wedding.  As is the custom, I suggested to the three bridesmaids that we should throw a shower.  Now, I like to host nice events - I'm not going to lie.  I don't care too much about how much these events cost.  I do understand others might not be so willing or able to spend the money.

So, I got a free hall, I baked the two cakes necessary for the number of people the other BMs insisted needed to be invited. I did the salads.  I did a cheese and fruit tray. I purchased the disposable plates and cutlery.  The helpful BM did flower arrangements (as she had to travel a great distance (overnight trip).)  For food, there was no way I could make enough ziti for it to be hot for the 100+ people invited, so I started calling around to caterers.  The nicer grocery store in town had a service where they would 'semi-cater' -- they would cook everything and deliver it.  You had to clean up and there was no service. It was incredibly reasonably priced Great, right?  Two of the three BMs argued it was still too pricy.  Order Indian.  (Umm, that's not to everyone's tastes (particularly my family).  In the end the two BMs who insisted on over half the guest list each gave me $50.  The shower was for their sister-in-law-to-be. Neither stayed to clean up. Both took leftovers and one of them left with an unused wheel of Brie that probably cost $12.  (I wouldn't have returned it, but I do love homemade Brie and beet green paninis.)

When a first baby was due, I offered to hold a friends and bride/mother-to-be shower.  I did the same concept for catering and gave the leftovers to my friend.  So much nicer to not work with them.  And without their demanding guest list, I think I spent $150 in all on the baby shower.  (And that was including $52 for a masterpiece of a cake.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Shalamar

« Reply #1139 on: April 29, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
I'd probably have given him the cold shoulder from then on out if I'd witnessed that (unless it was obviously an inside joke between the two and she seemed amused).

Oh, it wasn't, believe me.  Jane was terribly embarrassed, both by the shoving-in-the-bra gesture and the paltry amount of money.  I think she'd hoped to contribute towards the expenses for the weekend for herself and her three children; instead, she barely had enough for ice cream cones.