News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 09:53:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 624743 times)

rose red

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1125 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:40 PM »
^I'd rather have a half empty bottle of soap then one filled with soap and water. Doesn't water make it slimy? Gross.

TootsNYC

« Reply #1126 on: April 30, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
Well, considering that I make my own version of foaming soap by greatly diluting liquid soap with water, and that the readymade foaming soap you buy is just greatly diluted liquid soap, I really don't think that there's any loss of cleaning benefit.

Amara

« Reply #1127 on: April 30, 2014, 06:00:38 PM »
I bring my own bar of soap and carry it to the restroom and back to my office again. About two years ago the college cheaped out and began using a foamy soap. I don't believe the foam cleans as well.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1128 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
I like the foamy soap. It's the agitation from washing your hands that does most of the work anywhere.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

CL32

« Reply #1129 on: April 30, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
I like the foamy soap. It's the agitation from washing your hands that does most of the work anywhere.

True. You only need enough soup to break the surface tension and allow the water to penetrate the oil in your skin. After that, it's the friction from washing that removes dirt and germs from you hands.

Runningstar

« Reply #1130 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:25 AM »
Are you still friends?

I think I'd be dropping her like a hot potato.

Because that's not just a cheapskate maneuver on her part; it's what con men do.
We are not so close anymore, but we have a long history.  I no longer do a lot of things for her that I used to though.

YummyMummy66

« Reply #1131 on: May 01, 2014, 05:10:25 AM »
Monday, I went to my office restroom.  The cleaning staff cuts corners a lot.  During flu season, I noticed that when the soap bottle got half empty, they filled it with water.  reporting it to HR did no good, so I bought my own bottle that I carry back and forth.  On Monday, the bottle that had been 1/2 full of the 1/2 soap/ 1/2 water concoction was full again.  I picked it up and for fun flipped it around.  Now the concoction is 1/4 soap, 3/4 water -- I'll keep using my personal bottle, thank you very much.  (And because I'm cheap, I won't share.  Sorry, HR lady.  Buy a new office bottle.)

Actually, I don't see a problem with this.  I do this with a lot of my liquid items.   Dish soap, hand soap, fabric softener and laundry detergent.  I always have previous containers, and I take some and mix it with water.  You really don't need all that "soap" that they use in the first place and it does save money.  My clothes are still the same clean, my dishes are still the same clean when I wash them, so I don't see why my hands would not be the same clean.

Leafy

« Reply #1132 on: May 01, 2014, 06:14:26 AM »

True. You only need enough soup to break the surface tension and allow the water to penetrate the oil in your skin. After that, it's the friction from washing that removes dirt and germs from you hands.

I try not to use soup to clean up. It sounds messy.

ladyknight1

« Reply #1133 on: May 01, 2014, 08:22:29 AM »
I don't mix water in, I just use less of the product. I hate the way watered down products work.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Yvaine

« Reply #1134 on: May 01, 2014, 08:40:28 AM »
A little water added can help you get the last of the soap up into the pump, though. Filling the whole bottle back up with water so it's only 10% soap...no. But if there's like a quarter inch of soap in the bottom and the pump doesn't reach, a little water can keep you from having to waste it or spend forever tipping the bottle upside down.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #1135 on: May 01, 2014, 12:06:52 PM »
It's not to unlike the main reason I really do not like Kraft Mac & Cheese anymore and prefer the shells and cheese, even the store brand, because you have this whole pouch of cheese you just mix in directly without having to mix butter and milk. 

I frankly don't even care if that cheese in the pouch isn't 100% cheese. The fact that it turns out creamy and tastes like cheese (to me at least) is enough. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #1136 on: May 01, 2014, 07:39:53 PM »

Hot black tea works--I've seen Chinese restaurants use it to clean the table between customers--but that's "black" as in "with no milk and sugar," not black rather than green.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Asharah

« Reply #1137 on: May 01, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Hot black tea works--I've seen Chinese restaurants use it to clean the table between customers--but that's "black" as in "with no milk and sugar," not black rather than green.
I remember an episode of Tanked where Robbie Redneck used beer and eggs to get a coffee stain out of something. He said it was his grandma's home remedy to clean her doilies. 8)
Asharah

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1138 on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
I've seen iced tea recommended to clean hardwood floors - I presume unsweetened would work better, as sugar or honey might attract ants...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

« Reply #1139 on: May 02, 2014, 07:34:36 AM »

I remember an episode of Tanked where Robbie Redneck used beer and eggs to get a coffee stain out of something. He said it was his grandma's home remedy to clean her doilies. 8)

He is a wise man. I love him.  :D
-J.R.R Tolkien