News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 25, 2018, 04:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 625789 times)

Cali.in.UK

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1140 on: May 02, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
Asharah - My jaw dropped open reading that thread! I guess there is a pair in every family. Since my sister's experience, I know that if I ever get an email or phone call from them I will follow that impressive beandip that Jenn used.

Rockie

« Reply #1141 on: May 04, 2014, 12:27:48 PM »
My family's done the whole "hey kids pretend you're younger so we can get the discount/free thing" bit. Most recent was this year wherein we went to eat at a buffet and they passed me off as being a child so they'd pay less for me (I think the cutoff was like 12 or 13...and I'm 28). ::) Either it worked or the person couldn't be fussed, because we got in without incident.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1142 on: May 04, 2014, 02:20:33 PM »
My parents and both of their extended families did that, all while pretending to be the perfect citizen of X. I don't do that and I haven't allowed anyone to with DS.

Even when being 12 means you are an adult in amusement park logic.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Jessie

« Reply #1143 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »

Just wanted to address this really quickly, because it's a conversation I have a lot. Amusement parks will use 12 as the adult age, because generally that's the age at which kids are tall enough to enjoy all the attractions/coasters etc, and is also the age when they seem to most enjoy going on the big headliner rides. So it seems weird, but from a use  perspective it makes sense, in my opinion.

(there are several amusement parks near where I live, so this comes up a lot with friends, especially those with young children.)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1144 on: May 04, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »

Just wanted to address this really quickly, because it's a conversation I have a lot. Amusement parks will use 12 as the adult age, because generally that's the age at which kids are tall enough to enjoy all the attractions/coasters etc, and is also the age when they seem to most enjoy going on the big headliner rides. So it seems weird, but from a use  perspective it makes sense, in my opinion.

(there are several amusement parks near where I live, so this comes up a lot with friends, especially those with young children.)
I had a friend that was honest about being 12, but was too short to ride the most popular rides. The manager let her pay the child's fee for a summer pass. That is good customer service.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Asharah

« Reply #1145 on: May 04, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
My nieces find all-you-can-eat buffets where kids eat cheaper amusing, because they obviously have no concept how their kids eat.  ;D
Asharah

Elisabunny

« Reply #1146 on: May 04, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »

I had a friend that was honest about being 12, but was too short to ride the most popular rides. The manager let her pay the child's fee for a summer pass. That is good customer service.

I may have to ask about that for our youngest.  I won't lie about her age, but since she is below the third percentile in height, we will probably run into the same problem.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

dawbs

« Reply #1147 on: May 04, 2014, 08:30:55 PM »
My family's done the whole "hey kids pretend you're younger so we can get the discount/free thing" bit. Most recent was this year wherein we went to eat at a buffet and they passed me off as being a child so they'd pay less for me (I think the cutoff was like 12 or 13...and I'm 28). ::) Either it worked or the person couldn't be fussed, because we got in without incident.

I know someone who was a cashier at such a place (and took umbrage w/ people lying to her/acting like she was stupid) and she took to pretending not to hear the adults and saying "I'm sorry, I missed that, how old are you?" to the child.
Kids do NOT tend to lie to make themselves younger :-P

JenJay

« Reply #1148 on: May 04, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »

I know someone who was a cashier at such a place (and took umbrage w/ people lying to her/acting like she was stupid) and she took to pretending not to hear the adults and saying "I'm sorry, I missed that, how old are you?" to the child.

Nope. I don't remember this, but my mom told me a story where we went to a rodeo and it was free for ages 6 and under. I was 8. Apparently when she stepped up to buy tickets the lady asked my age and mom said 6. I got all indignant and loudly said "No I'm not, I'm 8!"  ;D

I never lie about my kids' ages. It's hard enough getting them not to fib about little things (Who broke that? Who made this mess? Etc.) without undermining myself to save a few bucks.

dawnfire

« Reply #1149 on: May 04, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
My parents and both of their extended families did that, all while pretending to be the perfect citizen of X. I don't do that and I haven't allowed anyone to with DS.

I like my local amusement park pricing goes by height 100cm and less free, 101 -140 childrens price and 141 and taller adult prices. and the rides signed accordingly with height measurements and measuring signs.
Whittlesea Victoria

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #1150 on: May 04, 2014, 09:14:47 PM »

That's definitely true. We went to Disney when I was 12, almost 13 but I looked younger than I was and was also on the short side so there was a waitress who looked at me and asked my age and I told her I was 12. When she left my dad kind of laughed and said "good for you for being so honest". I think he'd hoped to pass me off as being younger to save some $$.

Heck even my 2 year old will tell you how old he is. He'll show 5 fingers of course, but if  you ask he'll say he's two. Though the last time we went to the movies (which charges for children over 2) we told them he was two and they still didn't charge us for a ticket.  I suppose cause at that age they know kids will usually be in their mother's laps.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1151 on: May 05, 2014, 07:17:03 AM »
Not just admission, but buffet style restaurants at the theme parks charge based on age and I don't believe you can get that changed based on height.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

yokozbornak

« Reply #1152 on: May 05, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »

But my daughter did lie to make herself older!  We took her to Disney World when she was two (and free) and she would tell everyone she was four (and sometimes six or ten).   She has always been tall for her age so it was completely believable. I actually carried a copy of her birth certificate with us just in case, but I never had to use it although I'm sure some of the cashiers and waitresses thought we were lying. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1153 on: May 05, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »

I like my local amusement park pricing goes by height 100cm and less free, 101 -140 childrens price and 141 and taller adult prices. and the rides signed accordingly with height measurements and measuring signs.

A lot of amusement parks admission prices are based on height, a system I always thought made more sense than basing it on age because even at the same age kids are different heights, and many rides are height restricted.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

o_gal

« Reply #1154 on: May 05, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »

A lot of amusement parks admission prices are based on height, a system I always thought made more sense than basing it on age because even at the same age kids are different heights, and many rides are height restricted.

Yes, that's the best system. Just wish it would work that way on the other end of the scale. Cedar Point, full of thrill rides, has 5 rides (4 roller coasters, 1 water ride) that have a maximum height restriction of 6 feet, 4 inches. It has to do with the restraint system. DH cannot ride these rides, yet must pay full price to get into the park.