Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 214659 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1140 on: April 29, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
My uncle is the biggest cheapskate I know.

He has never kept a job more than two years and is now on his third start up business. His favorite thing to do is to get family or friends to meet him at a restaurant. He eats, then "disappears" in the bathroom or outside when the bill comes. The last time I saw him, he took my vehicle without permission and did not come back for hours. I refuse to see him now.

My DH's mother is a pretty big cheapskate.

The last time I let her take my DS anywhere longer than a day trip, she packed sandwiches in a cooler on dry ice. They froze solid. She tried to make my 9 year old son eat a frozen sandwich and wouldn't stop to let him buy anything (I had given him money).
That same trip, she refused to reserve a motel room in advance, even though I offered to help as I had spent 10+ years in the hotel industry, because everyone knows it is cheaper to walk in at the location when you have nowhere to stay!  ::)

They get to destination to find most of the motels are full, the one they find has mold on the walls of the room and the pool is out of order. No, never again.

bloo

« Reply #1141 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »

He has never kept a job more than two years and is now on his third start up business. His favorite thing to do is to get family or friends to meet him at a restaurant. He eats, then "disappears" in the bathroom or outside when the bill comes. The last time I saw him, he took my vehicle without permission and did not come back for hours. I refuse to see him now.

My DH's mother is a pretty big cheapskate.

The last time I let her take my DS anywhere longer than a day trip, she packed sandwiches in a cooler on dry ice. They froze solid. She tried to make my 9 year old son eat a frozen sandwich and wouldn't stop to let him buy anything (I had given him money).
That same trip, she refused to reserve a motel room in advance, even though I offered to help as I had spent 10+ years in the hotel industry, because everyone knows it is cheaper to walk in at the location when you have nowhere to stay!  ::)

They get to destination to find most of the motels are full, the one they find has mold on the walls of the room and the pool is out of order. No, never again.

May I ask? Were you the weensiest bit tempted to call the police and report the vehicle stolen? I imagine the urge to do so would be very strong for me.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1142 on: April 29, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »
No, I was raised to be a doormat for my father's family. I would not hesitate now.

heartmug

« Reply #1143 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:10 PM »

He has never kept a job more than two years and is now on his third start up business. His favorite thing to do is to get family or friends to meet him at a restaurant. He eats, then "disappears" in the bathroom or outside when the bill comes.

That is my IL's trick!  Or it is suddenly time for FIL to have a smoke and MIL will "go keep him company."  When we pay and join them outside they smile and say "Are you ready to go?"  Never "How much was the bill?" Or "Here is a $20 for our portion?"  Never ever an offer to help out.

We no longer go out to eat with them unless we are treating one of them as their birthday present.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1144 on: April 30, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »

He has never kept a job more than two years and is now on his third start up business. His favorite thing to do is to get family or friends to meet him at a restaurant. He eats, then "disappears" in the bathroom or outside when the bill comes.

That is my IL's trick!  Or it is suddenly time for FIL to have a smoke and MIL will "go keep him company."  When we pay and join them outside they smile and say "Are you ready to go?"  Never "How much was the bill?" Or "Here is a $20 for our portion?"  Never ever an offer to help out.

We no longer go out to eat with them unless we are treating one of them as their birthday present.

I wonder what would happen if you waited a long time, and then went out and said, "The check is here; you need to come back and pay your part."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1145 on: April 30, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »

I wonder what would happen if you waited a long time, and then went out and said, "The check is here; you need to come back and pay your part."

Or ask for seperate checks, so when they come, you pay yours, and they can pay theirs.

alkira6

« Reply #1146 on: April 30, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
Or you go out for a smoke before they do and don't come back in.

But, more than a little passive aggressive.

NyaChan

« Reply #1147 on: April 30, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
Or just say, "Your portion of the bill was $X.  You can give me a cash or check, whatever is easier for you." 

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1148 on: April 30, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
That's one thing that fascinates me about Mr. Sirius:  He can divide a check for 7 people in his head, including tax, tip, and drinks.  It takes him about two minutes, and you can almost hear his brain clicking.  Granted, the people we were with when he did this weren't known to be cheapskates, but it was fascinating all the same.  If we'd been with cheapskates he would have written it all down.  We know that there's a difference between being a tightwad and having to make every penny count, and if anyone at the table had been in the "make every penny count" position we would have contributed some to their meal just because we like their company.

Asharah

« Reply #1149 on: April 30, 2014, 01:15:56 PM »
My entire extended family lives on the east coast, so we don't see them very often and are not very close. My one uncle, married with two kids is the wealthiest person in the family. He and his wife both have high paying jobs but he is by far the cheapest person I've dealt with. When they come to the west coast they always stay with my family in our small house, never bring anything, pay for anything. One time my uncle offered to take my dad out for a beer to "thank him" for the free accommodation and when the bill came? He paid for his own drink and went to the bathroom.
Your uncle reminds me of the aunt & uncle on this classic thread:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=1083.0
Essentially, they conned struggling college student niece into giving ski lessons to their daughter. Promised to cover her expenses and pay her the normally hourly wage, then changed all the rules when she arrived. Poor sweet little cousin spent the whole weekend apologizing to OP for her idiot parents. (Sweet polite little cousin was really the only reason OP agreed in the first place or stuck it out.)  Check out the update on page 3 where OP describes how she dodges aunt & uncle's attempts to con a free stay at her place when visiting the area.  ;D
Asharah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1150 on: April 30, 2014, 02:25:00 PM »
When I was little, I was friends with the girl across the street.  My parents got to know her parents as a result, and while the mother (Jane) was nice, the father (Bob) was a piece of work:

• Jane was a stay-at-home mom and never had any money of her own.  Bob didn't see why she should have any (I think he was afraid she'd leave him if she got any savings).
  • One time, my family had rented a cottage by the lake for a week during the summer.  Jane came to visit for a couple of days at my parents' invitation.  Bob dropped her and her kids off and started to drive away.  Jane yelled "Bob, wait!  I don't have any money!"  His response was to stuff a single dollar bill down her bra.  This was the 70's, true, but a buck wouldn't have gone too far for an adult and three children.
  • When they eventually sold their house, Bob took everything out of the house that wasn't nailed down.  Light bulbs and fixtures, you name it.  He tried to remove some of the plumbing but had to give up when it was too difficult.

On top of the greediness and self-centeredness of "Bob" in this post,t he thing where he stuffed a single dollar bill down her bra?  That's incredibly insulting.  I'd probably have given him the cold shoulder from then on out if I'd witnessed that (unless it was obviously an inside joke between the two and she seemed amused).

Yeah, my husband has a habit of saying "Money's on the dresser chocolate." as he puts on his jacket and grabs his keys.  This is  a reference from a movie that we both find hilarious.  Not so funny when said in front of others who don't get the joke.

Heehee...I love "The Birdcage"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Runningstar

« Reply #1151 on: April 30, 2014, 02:32:54 PM »
To me this qualifies as a cheapskate maneuver, but maybe not to others.  My friend Rose will come to my relative's cabin with me, I provide all of the food (and I want to - it is just my treat to a few of my friends).  During the weekend, the discussion will come up about going out to a nearby tourist type tavern/ski lodge.  I always make it very clear both before we go to the cabin that if any excursions are going to be made, that I cannot/will not pay for drinks/food/entertainment.  It is just to come up with me, enjoy a homemade dinner, snacks, drinks, and breakfast and lunch, etc.  But, the excursion always comes up, and I go with the flow - Rose is the one that presses this on as she loves this tavern.  And then we get there, but gee, Rose cannot find her money now - it must have been in her suitcase.  So we all pitch in for her.  Until two years ago.  I had bought her the drink, the appetizer, only to find her in the gift shop handing over her $20 bill for the shirt she had found.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1152 on: April 30, 2014, 02:50:33 PM »
Are you still friends?

I think I'd be dropping her like a hot potato.

Because that's not just a cheapskate maneuver on her part; it's what con men do.

eltf177

« Reply #1153 on: April 30, 2014, 03:34:45 PM »
My entire extended family lives on the east coast, so we don't see them very often and are not very close. My one uncle, married with two kids is the wealthiest person in the family. He and his wife both have high paying jobs but he is by far the cheapest person I've dealt with. When they come to the west coast they always stay with my family in our small house, never bring anything, pay for anything. One time my uncle offered to take my dad out for a beer to "thank him" for the free accommodation and when the bill came? He paid for his own drink and went to the bathroom.
Your uncle reminds me of the aunt & uncle on this classic thread:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=1083.0
Essentially, they conned struggling college student niece into giving ski lessons to their daughter. Promised to cover her expenses and pay her the normally hourly wage, then changed all the rules when she arrived. Poor sweet little cousin spent the whole weekend apologizing to OP for her idiot parents. (Sweet polite little cousin was really the only reason OP agreed in the first place or stuck it out.)  Check out the update on page 3 where OP describes how she dodges aunt & uncle's attempts to con a free stay at her place when visiting the area.  ;D

One of the first stories I stumbled onto here, and _still_ one of my favorites. It sounds like cousin turned out well, I hope OP is still dodging the cheap aunt and uncle...

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #1154 on: April 30, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
Monday, I went to my office restroom.  The cleaning staff cuts corners a lot.  During flu season, I noticed that when the soap bottle got half empty, they filled it with water.  reporting it to HR did no good, so I bought my own bottle that I carry back and forth.  On Monday, the bottle that had been 1/2 full of the 1/2 soap/ 1/2 water concoction was full again.  I picked it up and for fun flipped it around.  Now the concoction is 1/4 soap, 3/4 water -- I'll keep using my personal bottle, thank you very much.  (And because I'm cheap, I won't share.  Sorry, HR lady.  Buy a new office bottle.)
Formerly Mrs.Bart