News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 16, 2017, 09:13:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 526075 times)

Shalamar

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1320 on: June 28, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
I once saw that someone was throwing out an old dresser.  It looked like it was painted white, so - after inspecting it for rot or woodworm or anything else that would make it unusable - I brought it home for our daughter's bedroom.   In better light, it was very obviously painted pale pink.   Daughter is not a "pink" girl, so she asked if we could paint it blue.  First, however, we had to scrape off the old paint.   Several days and at least $100 later, her "free" dresser was ready.

My husband says that he'll leave me if I ever bring home a "free" item like that again .... :)

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #1321 on: July 08, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »
I have a family member that I used to go shopping with on occasion.  When it got be around lunch time, she would ask if I wanted to grab something to eat.  The first time I said  "yes" she drove us to Sam's Club where she expected me to go along with her as she roamed the food isles, filling up on enough free samples to constitute "lunch".

I refused.

daen

« Reply #1322 on: July 08, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »
I have a family member that I used to go shopping with on occasion.  When it got be around lunch time, she would ask if I wanted to grab something to eat.  The first time I said  "yes" she drove us to Sam's Club where she expected me to go along with her as she roamed the food isles, filling up on enough free samples to constitute "lunch".

I refused.

I think I may have mentioned elsewhere that the local grocery stores stopped doing samples on Friday nights because too many people were using that as their date night activity.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1323 on: July 08, 2014, 05:44:08 PM »
I just found out the reason we did not see FIL this weekend is that Costco had deals on tires. He spent all his free time getting tires and won't be able to see his grandson for two more weeks now.  :-X
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
« Reply #1324 on: July 09, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »
I just found out the reason we did not see FIL this weekend is that Costco had deals on tires. He spent all his free time getting tires and won't be able to see his grandson for two more weeks now.  :-X

Tires can be expensive. I don't see anything Cheapskatey about wanting to save money on tires.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1325 on: July 09, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »

I refused.

My aunts did this just a couple of weeks ago at Costco.

ladyknight1

« Reply #1326 on: July 09, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »

Tires can be expensive. I don't see anything Cheapskatey about wanting to save money on tires.

For someone who just relocated across the country and hasn't seen his family in months, I do. But we now know his priorities.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

wolfie

« Reply #1327 on: July 09, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »

For someone who just relocated across the country and hasn't seen his family in months, I do. But we now know his priorities.

My last set of tires cost me $1000 - and that WAS on sale. A move across the country can be pretty expensive too so i can see why he might want to save some money now - especially because now that he is in the area he can see his grandkids on a more regular basis.

ladyknight1

« Reply #1328 on: July 09, 2014, 09:43:29 AM »
The only grandchild had an opportunity to visit this particular weekend and won't have another for over a month, but FIL made his choice.
-J.R.R Tolkien

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1329 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:34 AM »
The only grandchild had an opportunity to visit this particular weekend and won't have another for over a month, but FIL made his choice.

And the grandchild (or the parents) also made choices which led to only having one weekend a month available.

ladyknight1

« Reply #1330 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
Since FIL's birthday is this coming weekend, there were set plans to have dinner this past Saturday and that is what was usurped by the tire buying trip. FIL is now upset that he won't get to see DS for his birthday, but the availability from our side was communicated over two weeks ago.
-J.R.R Tolkien

wolfie

« Reply #1331 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
And sometimes two things we want to to happen at the same time. And sometimes the one that saves us money has to win out even if we would rather do the other thing. Doesn't necessarily mean that someone doesn't want to see the grandkids, or is a cheapskate. But I would be rather ticked if the attitude was if the grandkids didn't always win out my priorities were out of wack. When i needed my tires upgraded they were bald and I didn't have a choice to wait any longer and if I didn't hit the sale I would have been out a lot more then the $1000 I was - and I couldn't afford that. At the time there was no conflict but I would have been upset if someone called me a cheapskate for wanting to save $1000 vs go to dinner with them.

Mollie

« Reply #1332 on: July 09, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
I think we need some more info. How long was the grandfather in town? The OP said it was for a weekend, and I can't imagine it took two or three days to buy and change tires. Does her son work or in school? I read a reply that suggested that the son should drop everything to accomdate the grandfathers schedule. Where does the grandfather live, nearby or across the country? I think all of this might be pertint.

ladyknight1

« Reply #1333 on: July 09, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
Grandfather just relocated from another part of the US. Grandfather lives in a close town during the week and only is in hometown during the weekend.

Grandson works 6 days a week in another part of the state, and is usually home on Saturdays, but has a group trip with his coworkers on the grandfather's birthday.

It was just a bad timing coupled by poor time management on one side and we had plans that were not canceled, just a no show on the grandparent side. Which is frustrating.

Now grandfather is upset, realizing he won't see grandson for two weeks, because there are other schedule conflicts.
-J.R.R Tolkien

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1334 on: July 09, 2014, 10:14:34 AM »
Since FIL's birthday is this coming weekend, there were set plans to have dinner this past Saturday and that is what was usurped by the tire buying trip. FIL is now upset that he won't get to see DS for his birthday, but the availability from our side was communicated over two weeks ago.

I'd have to agree that I can see how tire-buying became more important (I just had to buy two new tires for my 17-year-old vehicle and was really surprised at how expensive they were since I don't have a high-maintenance vehicle); I don't think this makes him cheap.  However, I can also see how it was upsetting for you and DS, and FIL has to live with his choice (but taking advantage of the prices at Costco, unless the prices would've been the same at a different time when FIL was available, does not necessarily make him a cheapskate).