Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 222199 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1320 on: June 17, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »
^
auto-correct?

tpe = toe  (leave out the "y")
leters = meters (miss one of the t's)

Thank you, autocorrect!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1321 on: June 18, 2014, 12:04:03 PM »
The new computer thread reminded me of combination SS and cheapskate from the late 80s. 

The man I'll call 'Eb' was extremely wealthy.  He also used the library so often that he was granted a key to the place.  He was the only person not on staff to have one. 

Eb made us what seemed a very generous offer.  He would give the library a computer almost a year before the machines were common in the museum.  There were, however, substantial strings attached and problems. 

Eb intended to use the library on weekends as an free office space and reference facility.  The computer was also a kit-bash that he put together himself and was so quirky that only he really knew what it could and couldn't do.  the thing was virtually useless to anyone else and he provided no manuals. 

May I say that, apart from a basic membership, Eb never gave the museum a penny.  his 'generous' offer was turned down and his key was recalled. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1322 on: June 27, 2014, 12:55:31 PM »
My MIL is trying to give us 10 1 lb cans of cherry pie filling that were purchased over a decade ago. They are past the use by date and I am not going to pass them on if she drops them off, they are going in the dumpster.

MIL's idea of cherry pie. Take store bought graham cracker crust. Open can of pie filling. Add pie filling to crust. Done.

magician5

« Reply #1323 on: June 28, 2014, 12:43:14 AM »
My MIL is trying to give us 10 1 lb cans of cherry pie filling that were purchased over a decade ago. They are past the use by date and I am not going to pass them on if she drops them off, they are going in the dumpster.

MIL's idea of cherry pie. Take store bought graham cracker crust. Open can of pie filling. Add pie filling to crust. Done.

Get rid of the outdated filling. Send your MIL over to my house and I'll gladly eat all of that cherry pie she can make.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1324 on: June 28, 2014, 08:25:33 AM »
  I remember on my Ex hated passing up "free" or discounted ...so if the company we worked for was throwing away a broken toaster , box of half a dozen floor tiles etc. he had to bring them home.  *It needs to be noted my ex was not handy not in the slightest. Not even "he thinks he is handy but breaks stuff." he knew he wasn't handy. He was so not handy he delegated calling repair people, to avoid having a conversation about anything mechanical*  But that broken toaster that cost $20 brand new 17 years was irresistible because someday he would find a toaster repair person who would fix it for free.  It also should be noted we had a toaster and did not particularly care for toast.   

Shalamar

« Reply #1325 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
I once saw that someone was throwing out an old dresser.  It looked like it was painted white, so - after inspecting it for rot or woodworm or anything else that would make it unusable - I brought it home for our daughter's bedroom.   In better light, it was very obviously painted pale pink.   Daughter is not a "pink" girl, so she asked if we could paint it blue.  First, however, we had to scrape off the old paint.   Several days and at least $100 later, her "free" dresser was ready.

My husband says that he'll leave me if I ever bring home a "free" item like that again .... :)

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #1326 on: July 08, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
I have a family member that I used to go shopping with on occasion.  When it got be around lunch time, she would ask if I wanted to grab something to eat.  The first time I said  "yes" she drove us to Sam's Club where she expected me to go along with her as she roamed the food isles, filling up on enough free samples to constitute "lunch".

I refused.

daen

« Reply #1327 on: July 08, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
I have a family member that I used to go shopping with on occasion.  When it got be around lunch time, she would ask if I wanted to grab something to eat.  The first time I said  "yes" she drove us to Sam's Club where she expected me to go along with her as she roamed the food isles, filling up on enough free samples to constitute "lunch".

I refused.

I think I may have mentioned elsewhere that the local grocery stores stopped doing samples on Friday nights because too many people were using that as their date night activity.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1328 on: July 08, 2014, 06:44:08 PM »
I just found out the reason we did not see FIL this weekend is that Costco had deals on tires. He spent all his free time getting tires and won't be able to see his grandson for two more weeks now.  :-X

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1329 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
I just found out the reason we did not see FIL this weekend is that Costco had deals on tires. He spent all his free time getting tires and won't be able to see his grandson for two more weeks now.  :-X

Tires can be expensive. I don't see anything Cheapskatey about wanting to save money on tires.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #1330 on: July 09, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »

I refused.

My aunts did this just a couple of weeks ago at Costco.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1331 on: July 09, 2014, 10:12:52 AM »

Tires can be expensive. I don't see anything Cheapskatey about wanting to save money on tires.

For someone who just relocated across the country and hasn't seen his family in months, I do. But we now know his priorities.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1332 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »

For someone who just relocated across the country and hasn't seen his family in months, I do. But we now know his priorities.

My last set of tires cost me $1000 - and that WAS on sale. A move across the country can be pretty expensive too so i can see why he might want to save some money now - especially because now that he is in the area he can see his grandkids on a more regular basis.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1333 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »
The only grandchild had an opportunity to visit this particular weekend and won't have another for over a month, but FIL made his choice.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1334 on: July 09, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
The only grandchild had an opportunity to visit this particular weekend and won't have another for over a month, but FIL made his choice.

And the grandchild (or the parents) also made choices which led to only having one weekend a month available.