Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 225788 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1380 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
I'm OK w/ the coupon--just don't brag on it. I don't care how you pay for dinner, just pay for it, and don't make a big deal about it.

Shalamar

« Reply #1381 on: July 14, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
not on a first date

Definitely not!  That gives the impression that he only asked you out so that he could use the coupon.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1382 on: July 14, 2014, 04:53:12 PM »
I'm OK w/ the coupon--just don't brag on it. I don't care how you pay for dinner, just pay for it, and don't make a big deal about it.

This is where I fall. It would be distasteful to me that he was braggy and made a big deal of it, but I wouldn't mind the coupon or a gift card in general. I am not organized enough to use coupons or gift cards efficiently, so the impression it would give me would be one of fiscal responsibility.
~Lynn2000

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1383 on: July 14, 2014, 04:55:03 PM »
not on a first date

Definitely not!  That gives the impression that he only asked you out so that he could use the coupon.

That doesn't track. There are lots of ways he could use the coupon.

Sure, it's quite likely he picked that restaurant so he could use the coupon, rather than thinking of what would please me most.

But I'd never think that he said, "I have a coupon, how can I use it up? Oh, I know--I'll ask out some girl I'm not actually interested in."

IWish

« Reply #1384 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:04 PM »
I think he had one of those coupon books that you buy and was determined to choose a restaurant from it.

Bobbie

« Reply #1385 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:39 PM »
Back in the early 80's, my mom's bosses were cheapskates. She worked in downtown Wakiki at the tourist shops that sold t-shirts, aloha shirts, and souvenirs.  Many tourists were Japanese so most of the workers were Japanese.  My mom is smart and quickly became the personnel manager of the stores, there were 20 plus.  She had to hire, train, fire, and schedule over 150 employees.  She even had a beeper that recorded your voice and played to back to her (I would call her beeper number and say "mom call home" and that would play for her).  She told her bosses, there were two, that she wanted a raise and that the job was so stressful that she had gotten a bloody ulcer.  They said that only if she became a store manager.  So, she became a store manager and they had to hire two people to do her old job, personnel manger.  The bosses then hired a college grad and paid him more money then my mom for the same job.  She asked for the same salary, they said no.  She quit.  Those bosses, who lived in multimillion dollar houses on diamond head (one had a pool moat around his house) could not give my mom a measly $500 more a month.  She is Japanese and are very loyal to the "company", its part of the culture, she would have done any job.  When she left there was an exodus because many of the Japanese women looked up to my mom.  I am not saying that she was super important but the company eventually went bankrupt in a couple of years.     

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1386 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:27 PM »
^^She may not have been "super important" but she was obviously well-respected (not by her bosses but by the other staff), and I think that matters a lot more.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1387 on: July 27, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »
^^She may not have been "super important" but she was obviously well-respected (not by her bosses but by the other staff), and I think that matters a lot more.

Totally agree with GreenEyedHawk here.

In addition, the new employees they hired to replace all those who quit were probably either not fluent (or significantly less fluent) in Japanese, thereby alienating their best customer base.  Some people really don't have a clue as to what makes businesses "work" and somehow they always seem to end up being either owners or CEOs.  So sad.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1388 on: July 27, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
I'm in a similar situation right now in my job.  There are two of us that keep the account from going totally under, and we rarely get help.  Surprisingly enough, though, I'm finally getting the special programs I've been asking for for two years to do a better job so maybe the boss is finally waking up.