From what I've read, porous food items, like bread, are not safe to eat if they are mouldy. But non-porous food items, like cheese, are safe to eat if the mould is cut (not scraped) off.
I will cut mould off of cheese, taking a fairly large margin around the mould. But then I usually use that cheese shredded in something that will be cooked, rather than eating it uncooked. I've never had an issue.
I'm frugal; I buy a lot of food when it is on sale and freeze it, where possible. I save downspout water in a series of 6 rain barrels for watering my garden. As I said upthread, I don't flush every time, if it is only yellow. These last two are more environmental concerns with wasting water but it does save me quite a bit of money - $5 or $10 a month. I gave up my cappuccino habit when I realized how much it was costing me in money and calories. I will save the little condiment packages if I have extra when done my meal but I don't take extras just to save some. The vinegar comes in handy when I'm travelling - if I ask for vinegar for my fries in California, I get looked at like I have three heads.