Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 208005 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2013, 09:49:34 PM »
My in-laws are very cheap. FIL will not throw away medicine and food that is years out of date. He believes expiration dates are put on items so foolish and wasteful people will throw them out and buy more. He is very smart, but doesn't think of how medicine might break down over decades. PIL love to make pots of soup that they let sit out for 10-12 hours before putting away, well outside of food safety limits. Their home lost power over the Thanksgiving holidays (PIL were away) and both freezers were overflowing with containers of this soup. We found out the power was out three days after they left, and all of the food was thawing. FIL didn't want to throw anything away.

I try to be thrifty and conservative in my use of resources. However, I have my limits.

Shalamar

« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Venus's story of the dinner party with no dinner reminds me of when my friend Maria and I decided to throw a surprise birthday party for our friend Susie.   We were teenagers and still living with our respective parents.  I offered to ask my folks if we could have the party at our house; Maria poo-pooed this and said "We'll have it at my house.   My mother is an amazing cook and will make a feast like you won't believe."   I was a little concerned about her just offering up her mother's services like that, so I offered to help prepare the meal - or at least pay for the ingredients.   No need, said Maria, she and her mum would do everything.     In despair, I offered to bring some chips and a cake.   Maria reluctantly allowed me to do that, saying that they wouldn't be necessary - we'd all be too stuffed by her mother's cooking to have room for such things.

Come the day of the party, I showed up at Maria's house with my chips and cake.   I discreetly sniffed the air - nothing.  No cooking smells.   The kitchen was obviously not being used, and it turned out that her mother wasn't even home.

It was a good thing I'd brought chips and cake, because those were the only things the party goers got to eat.   >:(

Minmom3

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »

...   Wasn't there a story here about a woman whose mother refused to put detergent in the dishwasher, so the plates just got "rinsed."  The first time the poster's husband ate at the in-laws house, he got sick as a dog from the leftover residue/germs on the plates?

Disgusting to be sure!   :o

But the water in a dishwasher is so incredibly hot and makes so much steam that it would seem that that alone should at least kill most of the germs. 

I think I'd almost take my chances on eating from one of her plates than what my MIL used to do.  She didn't have a dishwasher.  She did her dishes all by hand.  She would run out of whatever her current dishwashing liquid might be and instead of going to the store and buying a new bottle, she'd use Tide or some other laundry detergent.  Then she'd never rinse them off really thoroughly, so next time you ate off one of her plates, you got a little detergent with your green beans and mashed potatoes.  It did not enhance the flavor.   :-\

The water is only that hot if a) your house water heater/tankless water heat is set to heat the water THAT HOT, or b) your washer heats the water that hot.  For a long time, our hot water just wasn't that killer hot because our children were the age where they ran their own tub water, and we didn't want them scalded.  Before that time and after that time, our water heater was set good and hot, for just that reason.  (Plus, DH takes cooler showers and never runs out of hot water, but I take HOT showers, and frequently run out of hot water when I wash my hair).
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Miss Tickle

« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2013, 12:05:26 AM »
It's interesting to read the spectrum from illegal through mean and miserly to cheap, frugal, thrifty and on to practical and environmentally friendly reflected in these stories.

I don't know if it's strictly "cheapskate", but I can distinctly remember the first time my MIL pulled a bait and switch with regards to a dinner.  DH and I were invited out for FIL's birthday dinner to a "fancy" restaurant. Not the norm, but I thought it might be a special occasion. 

It was! It turned out this was the day MIL decided to make us pay our own way! Might have been nice to tell us it was self-host before we sat down or before we ordered drinks so we could have declined.

They had a coupon so MIL's dinner was free and #1 Son had a coupon too, so he could get his meal free as well (since DH and I would be paying full fare)! Well, wasn't that thrifty for them.

And they thought we'd all split FIL's dinner (to be fair), but FIL had the manners to decline that honour.

It was well worth the price to never have to accept a (restaurant) dinner invitation from my MIL again.

StarFaerie

« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2013, 12:12:47 AM »

...   Wasn't there a story here about a woman whose mother refused to put detergent in the dishwasher, so the plates just got "rinsed."  The first time the poster's husband ate at the in-laws house, he got sick as a dog from the leftover residue/germs on the plates?

But the water in a dishwasher is so incredibly hot and makes so much steam that it would seem that that alone should at least kill most of the germs. 

I think I'd almost take my chances on eating from one of her plates than what my MIL used to do.  She didn't have a dishwasher.  She did her dishes all by hand.  She would run out of whatever her current dishwashing liquid might be and instead of going to the store and buying a new bottle, she'd use Tide or some other laundry detergent.  Then she'd never rinse them off really thoroughly, so next time you ate off one of her plates, you got a little detergent with your green beans and mashed potatoes.  It did not enhance the flavor.   :-\

The water is only that hot if a) your house water heater/tankless water heat is set to heat the water THAT HOT, or b) your washer heats the water that hot.  For a long time, our hot water just wasn't that killer hot because our children were the age where they ran their own tub water, and we didn't want them scalded.  Before that time and after that time, our water heater was set good and hot, for just that reason.  (Plus, DH takes cooler showers and never runs out of hot water, but I take HOT showers, and frequently run out of hot water when I wash my hair).

And I've learned something new, I thought all dishwashers heated the water internally to the temperature required. I know mine only has cold water input (I could choose hot water input to it but my hot water heater is inefficient and small) but gosh the clean dishes come out hot. I wonder if that is a US vs Australian thing.

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
I also notice that cheapskates are more prone to bragging about their cheapness, and think badly of others for not being as cheap as they are ('they are so wasteful')

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:46 AM »

And I've learned something new, I thought all dishwashers heated the water internally to the temperature required. I know mine only has cold water input (I could choose hot water input to it but my hot water heater is inefficient and small) but gosh the clean dishes come out hot. I wonder if that is a US vs Australian thing.

I'm in the US, and our dishes are so hot when they come out that I have to wait quite a while to be able to even pick them up without burning myself (If they're too hot for me to handle, they could ruin our countertop because of the material out of which it's made).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Iris

« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2013, 01:38:54 AM »
I knew a guy who had been dating another guy for a few weeks when he said "Look, I've been doing all the organising and paying for our dates. I want you to take me out - doesn't matter where but you need to make the effort to plan, book etc." Well, he was a little surprised when the guy invited him to one of the more expensive restaurants in town, because it wasn't a money issue at all, rather a 'put some effort into the relationship' issue. Until he got there and was told that he could only order a main course, no starter no dessert.

"Odd", he thought, "but maybe he has something else planned and doesn't want me to fill up". Nope, it was so that his date's coupon would still be valid. As my friend said, he would have been fine with a much less expensive restaurant, but having his choices dictated to him to fit a coupon really didn't seem like the romantic evening he'd been hoping for.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2013, 05:48:37 AM »
I also notice that cheapskates are more prone to bragging about their cheapness, and think badly of others for not being as cheap as they are ('they are so wasteful')

That only emphasizes the mean-spiritedness of these people.

amylouky

« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2013, 08:21:38 AM »
I don't know if this makes me a cheapskate, but I generally "sneak" my dessert out from buffet places to eat later. If I eat it with my dinner it usually makes my blood sugar spike too much so I'll save it and eat it an hour or two later.

I used to have an aunt who would pull the "bad pizza" thing all the time so they could get a free one later.

Miss March

« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »
I used to have a friend who didn't like to pay the cost of making phone calls from her home phone (land line), so if she called you, she would immediately make an excuse like "The line is full of static on my end, can you try calling me back?" Then you would call her, and she'd be happy to talk for an hour, now that you were footing the cost of the call.
How lucky I am to have something that makes saying good bye so hard.-- Winnie the Poo

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Just remembered a sighting from a few years back. 

When a ship reaches port officials from Customs and Immigration come aboard.  Often, the clearance is done in a lounge and the visitors are treated to a nice spread of sandwiches and pastries. It never hurts to be nice to people who have to clear you.

Once the ship is cleared,  the lounge is used as a place for passengers to wait until their debarkation group is called.  On one voyage, the room was opened to passengers before the left over food was removed.  Everybody else just ignored it or nibbled on a danish,but a pair of ladies decided that they would take home the two dozen or so sandwiches that were left. 

We were in the same debarkation group so we saw them get caught and their booty confiscated. 

On a nicer note, in Hawaii quite large arrangements of tropical flowers were sold in the terminal for 10 USD.  These we were permitted to take on the ship and they did dress up the cabin for the return voyage.  However, it was not allowed to take the arrangements off the ship in Dan Diego.  California is tough. 

Shalamar

« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
That reminds me of my old job.   I worked in the head office for Safeway.  Every Wednesday, there would be a large delivery of baked goods from one of the stores for the office staff - doughnuts, bagels, and muffins.  We all loved Wednesdays and looked forward to a free baked goodie.  There were two cheapskate stories resulting from this:

Cheapskate #1 was the guy who, at the end of the day on Wednesday, grabbed all of the leftover stuff.  When our secretary caught him, he said defensively "I'm taking these home to my kids.  They're just going to go stale otherwise."  She said "Stale or not, they belong here.  PUT.  THEM.  BACK."  (For the record, all of the stuff got eaten by the next day.  People in I.T. don't care if a doughnut is a bit past its prime.)

Cheapskate #2 was another guy who bragged about how he was on a diet, and he never ate lunch, and that's why he was in such good shape, blah blah blah.  On Wednesdays, however, he gobbled down far more than his share of the free pastries like he was starving to death.  I once saw him eat five bagels in one sitting.   :o

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2013, 09:48:46 AM »
I know two people that this happened to: The host at the bar-b-que bought steaks for himself and hot dogs for everyone else.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
Things like this happened often when I was a child. 

Certain people would be invited into the den for an alcoholic drink.  The other adults were graciously invited into the back yard for iced tea. 

The question always was, 'Did Dad get asked?'.