Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 214482 times)

kareng57

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #465 on: April 08, 2013, 11:52:27 PM »
The irony is that the boots theory works both ways.  To give my real-life example which actually involves boots, I always wear "hiking boots" for footwear because I like the way they work for me.  I put that in quotes because there are $25.00 cheapies and $500.00 extreme-o boots, and since I wear them all the time they wear out a lot faster than hiking boots normally do.  The thing is, I figured out that a good set of boots lasts 3-4 times as long as the cheapies, so it would seem that they would be the better investment.  But the problem is that the good boots that last that long are $150.00, so they'd have to last six times as long to be worth it, and the big plus is that I always have a reasonably new backup pair of boots.

This is only one example, but there are plenty of situations where the extra quality doesn't justify the extra cost, so it pays to consider the balance in all things.

Virg

I make that argument about bras - you can go through a lot of $8 K-mart Specials before you approach the price of a $60 good one - and the good ones can get ruined in the dryer just as easily.  I'd rather have cheap ones I don't have to take such good care of  :P  (Of course, that's all moot if you're a hard-to-find size . . . then you buy what fits and wear it forever!)

Which is why my engineered 40DDD bras never see the inside of a dryer.  Heat kills the elastic - drip drying easily doubles the life span of your bra.

Mom wears a 34B.  Her bras go through the dryer - partly because Dad is "helping" do the laundry and Dad does not understand drip drying.....forty-two years ago, he didn't understand "Dry Clean Only" either, but I say that only to make the point that Dad never has learned to read care labels to this day.

We're lucky - his mother used to have to boil clothes clean and run them through a wringer before hanging them on a clothes line.  He has learned to use the washer & dryer with hot, warm, and cold water - as well as a low heat on the dryer instead of EVERTHING going in on "High heat".  He has learned something since he first helped his mother with laundry in the forties (before his baby sister was old enough to do chores).

Yes - my bras and panties started lasting a lot longer once I started washing the bras in a bag (albeit in the machine) and hanging all the lingerie to dry, about 10 years ago.  Apparently most European women would be aghast at the idea of machine-washing any of their lingerie.

NyaChan

« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2013, 11:54:31 PM »
I went to a lunch with the office where I was doing an internship.  It was one of the manager's birthday and the supervisor bought a cake for the office to have for dessert at the restaurant.  Sounds nice right?  Well the cake had a thick layer of frosting + flowers.  The woman next to me ate the cake out of the shell of frosting (does that make sense?) because there was simply too much on there for that amount of cake with the flowers on top.  I saw the supervisor gesture towards her plate and then say something like "don't throw it away."  Then when the waitress brought containers for leftovers, the supervisor took the woman's plate, put the leftover, partially eaten frosting into the styrofoam container, and took it back to the office with her. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #467 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
I used to buy a $15-20 purse at one of the discount stores 3-4 times a year. I then realized these purses weren't made well and I was tired of repairing or discarding them. I now buy one or two well made purses a year for $30-40 and they last. I just change them out if I get bored. Same with shoes, if they aren't made well then they aren't worth a dollar, if you have to keep replacing them.

My current purse is a beautiful, heavy and soft leather item that cost me $120.  My most expensive bag ever...  It's now 3 years old, and that's young for me and my leather bags.  Most of them get used for 10+ years.  I had a nice pair of good leather flats that were $105 new.  I wore them for 12 years.  I resoled them 5 times, and re heeled them another 3 or so on top of that.  I probably spent another $100 over the years, spiffing them up.  But, $200 over 10 years, with no problems caused by ill fitting shoes, breaks down to $20 a year - and I have NEVER had a $20 pair of shoes that fit me or would last more than a few months.  There are quite a few things that are expensive up front, but will pay for themselves many times over in length of use time.

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Nemesis

« Reply #468 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:21 AM »
My uncle's family would only flush the toilet if they did a No. 2. You are not allowed to flush for No. 1! They had 7 people living in that house. They only use one of the toilets despite having 3 toilets in their house to save water and cleaning agents. Sometimes by the time it was flushed, the toilet paper was so much that it would not flush down.

The stink from that toilet was so bad that we had to stopped using their toilet when we visit. Even if we had to hold it for an hour. It was truly awful.

Iris

« Reply #469 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:29 AM »
My uncle's family would only flush the toilet if they did a No. 2. You are not allowed to flush for No. 1! They had 7 people living in that house. They only use one of the toilets despite having 3 toilets in their house to save water and cleaning agents. Sometimes by the time it was flushed, the toilet paper was so much that it would not flush down.

The stink from that toilet was so bad that we had to stopped using their toilet when we visit. Even if we had to hold it for an hour. It was truly awful.

I once stayed with a friend whose flatmates were saving the world one flush at a time. Fine, except that they didn't close the lid of the toilet OR the bathroom door. The whole house stank of stale No. 1. Extremely unpleasant.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #470 on: April 09, 2013, 04:26:18 AM »
My mother had to lay down the law to Dad a couple of years ago.  She wanted to go into an independent living retirement home, so that she could finally retire!  No cooking, no cleaning, etc.  All the things that a lifelong housewife of her era did.  "But we have to save that money for our old age!" Dad cried. 

"Look.  You are NINETY YEARS OLD. I am EIGHTY-SIX.  All that  money for our old age?  THIS IS IT!"
lol

we tried to convince my 82 YO father to move into a retirement home. (he is beyond unbelievably stubborn). he is pretty much but not entirely independent but we are concerned that he is living alone, doing a lo t of driving, and lives about 20 minute drive from the city (his town has medical clinics, stores, etc but not the same as in the city). we finally convinced him "just to go and see". when he told his "younger" sister about this (i think she is 80), she said "why do you want to go live there? it's full of old people"... ::) thanks auntie... ::)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #471 on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:34 AM »
I used to buy a $15-20 purse at one of the discount stores 3-4 times a year. I then realized these purses weren't made well and I was tired of repairing or discarding them. I now buy one or two well made purses a year for $30-40 and they last. I just change them out if I get bored. Same with shoes, if they aren't made well then they aren't worth a dollar, if you have to keep replacing them.

My current purse is a beautiful, heavy and soft leather item that cost me $120.  My most expensive bag ever...  It's now 3 years old, and that's young for me and my leather bags.  Most of them get used for 10+ years.  I had a nice pair of good leather flats that were $105 new.  I wore them for 12 years.  I resoled them 5 times, and re heeled them another 3 or so on top of that.  I probably spent another $100 over the years, spiffing them up.  But, $200 over 10 years, with no problems caused by ill fitting shoes, breaks down to $20 a year - and I have NEVER had a $20 pair of shoes that fit me or would last more than a few months.  There are quite a few things that are expensive up front, but will pay for themselves many times over in length of use time.

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.

Oh yeah!  The only time I replaced a pair was because I wanted a different colour, and the time I came off my motorbike wearing them and shredded the tops.  Still didn't go through the leather though - I wore them as bike boots for years!

DaisyG

« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:27 AM »

Oh yeah!  The only time I replaced a pair was because I wanted a different colour, and the time I came off my motorbike wearing them and shredded the tops.  Still didn't go through the leather though - I wore them as bike boots for years!

I must wear out footwear quickly - I've had 2 pairs of Doc Marten's and wore through the soles (which are not replaceable due to their technology) in 2 years (each pair) of almost everyday wear.

deadbody

« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2013, 08:32:34 AM »

I must wear out footwear quickly - I've had 2 pairs of Doc Marten's and wore through the soles (which are not replaceable due to their technology) in 2 years (each pair) of almost everyday wear.

I have no idea how you can manage that.  I am seriously impressed.  I can wear out a pair of tennis shoes in 3-6 months (fat guy plus being hard on them with disc golf and such).  I had a pair of Doc Martens that I wore 5 days a week for 6 years, and they still aren't worn out.  The soles have lost traction in a couple spots, and they don't look perfect anymore, but not worn out at all.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »

I have no idea how you can manage that.  I am seriously impressed.  I can wear out a pair of tennis shoes in 3-6 months (fat guy plus being hard on them with disc golf and such).  I had a pair of Doc Martens that I wore 5 days a week for 6 years, and they still aren't worn out.  The soles have lost traction in a couple spots, and they don't look perfect anymore, but not worn out at all.
I just retired a pair of steel toed, waterproof, US Navy flight deck boots that I wore almost everyday for four years.  There was nothing wrong with them except the soles are too slick for the kind of work I do (scrubbing, buffing, stripping & waxing floors),  so I bought a new pair just like them, and use my old pair for everyday riding boots.  They are $180 a pair, but they last more than a year, which was how long the $60 boots I was wearing before lasted, 
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #475 on: April 09, 2013, 09:40:16 AM »
They have Thomas bagels and bagel thins at Sam's club, where 2 packages are under $4.

Sweet!! All the more reason to join and I found out it's a very reasonable price to join. $100 for a year. 

The only truly useful coupons I find are ones for glade/air wick plug in oil, toilet paper and paper towels.  Most times I can't find coupons for other stuff I get.  Sometimes I'll get lucky and they'll be offering a coupon for hygeine products when I need them but most of the time the coupons are for junk food and prepackaged meals which I admit I will get now and then but I think I end up using at most 5.  Which generally only saves me about $10 at most.  And don't get me wrong, that $10 is nice and enough that I can treat us to a bottle of cheap hooch, but I am amazed by the people who can whittle a $200 grocery tab to $10.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bloo

« Reply #476 on: April 09, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
They have Thomas bagels and bagel thins at Sam's club, where 2 packages are under $4.

Sweet!! All the more reason to join and I found out it's a very reasonable price to join. $100 for a year. 

The only truly useful coupons I find are ones for glade/air wick plug in oil, toilet paper and paper towels.  Most times I can't find coupons for other stuff I get.  Sometimes I'll get lucky and they'll be offering a coupon for hygeine products when I need them but most of the time the coupons are for junk food and prepackaged meals which I admit I will get now and then but I think I end up using at most 5.  Which generally only saves me about $10 at most.  And don't get me wrong, that $10 is nice and enough that I can treat us to a bottle of cheap hooch, but I am amazed by the people who can whittle a $200 grocery tab to $10.

Hijack: Wait...what? I've paid $35 a year since 1997 or so. If I let my membership lapse, will it go up to around that?

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #477 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »

Hijack: Wait...what? I've paid $35 a year since 1997 or so. If I let my membership lapse, will it go up to around that?
Do you get your membership through work? My mother used to, and her rates were lower for it.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2013, 09:49:37 AM »
I don't know.  I've never had a membership with them before. Maybe it's a locational thing?  I'm in the Midatlantic and even in this lower income area, I've found things are still pricier here than where my friend lives in the Midwest.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Hillia

« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »
Right out of college i decided I wanted a pair of leather hightop Pony sneakers - don't know why, since I've never been particularly active and certainly never played a sport requiring good shoes.  I paid I think $65 for them - a ton in 1985 - and wore them for about 5 years, at which point I was sick to death of them.  They were heavy and clunky, although pretty comfortable, and they would not show any wear at all to justify ditching them.  I finally took them to Goodwill, and have no doubt that somewhere in the universe those darn shoes are still in existence.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools