Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 204866 times)

bloo

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #480 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Black Delphinium: No, my husband and I simply purchased one as 'Business Members' as we owned our own business, which we 'proved' by simply telling them that. :o The only benefit to 'Business Membership' that I could see is that we get to walk in the store earlier.

Every late September, I'm reminded at the checkout that my membership is expiring in October and do I want to renew and I always do. It's been $35/year for as long as I can remember.

Used to be a member of Costco & BJ's when I lived in SW FL and I seem to remember the membership fees being comparable but this was in 2004 & 2005.

Piratelvr1121: I would guess it would have to be regional. I've never lived in such of large collective of tight-fisted peoples and they would squawk bloody murder at $100/year. :)

ETA: Ah I just googled it and saw that Advantage Plus or Business Plus is $100/year. Advantage is $40 an Business is $35. For some reason I can't login to Sam's Club's website so I can't see what the differences are.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 10:03:36 AM by bloo »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM »
Black Delphinium: No, my husband and I simply purchased one as 'Business Members' as we owned our own business, which we 'proved' by simply telling them that. :o The only benefit to 'Business Membership' that I could see is that we get to walk in the store earlier.

Every late September, I'm reminded at the checkout that my membership is expiring in October and do I want to renew and I always do. It's been $35/year for as long as I can remember.

Used to be a member of Costco & BJ's when I lived in SW FL and I seem to remember the membership fees being comparable but this was in 2004 & 2005.

Piratelvr1121: I would guess it would have to be regional. I've never lived in such of large collective of tight-fisted peoples and they would squawk bloody murder at $100/year. :)

ETA: Ah I just googled it and saw that Advantage Plus or Business Plus is $100/year. Advantage is $40 an Business is $35. For some reason I can't login to Sam's Club's website so I can't see what the differences are.

I just logged in. The Business membership is $35 for a primary + one secondary, and you can buy up to 8 more for addional unmentioned fees. It says nothing about having a business!

We would have a card, but our closest stores are nearly 2 hours away, so we go about 3 times a year as our son's guests. We probably save enough in one visit to on Advil and glucosimine to pay for the card, not to mention the paper goods and electronic supplies. We used to save a lot in one visit a month when we lived in City to be well worth.

They only take cash and Discover cards (as of last fall, anyway), and maybe checks - I don't know about that.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:20:55 PM by Luci45 »

amylouky

« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.

Oh yeah!  The only time I replaced a pair was because I wanted a different colour, and the time I came off my motorbike wearing them and shredded the tops.  Still didn't go through the leather though - I wore them as bike boots for years!

I must wear out footwear quickly - I've had 2 pairs of Doc Marten's and wore through the soles (which are not replaceable due to their technology) in 2 years (each pair) of almost everyday wear.

I have no idea how you can manage that.  I am seriously impressed.  I can wear out a pair of tennis shoes in 3-6 months (fat guy plus being hard on them with disc golf and such).  I had a pair of Doc Martens that I wore 5 days a week for 6 years, and they still aren't worn out.  The soles have lost traction in a couple spots, and they don't look perfect anymore, but not worn out at all.

My DH had club feet when he was born. He had corrective surgery, but his feet still aren't shaped right. He goes through shoes FAST.. the soles wear unevenly so if he tries to make them last too long, he's walking at an angle and gets bad back pain. He likes Doc Martens but if he wears them daily he'll go through the soles in about six months.

CakeBeret

« Reply #483 on: April 09, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »
I used to buy a $15-20 purse at one of the discount stores 3-4 times a year. I then realized these purses weren't made well and I was tired of repairing or discarding them. I now buy one or two well made purses a year for $30-40 and they last. I just change them out if I get bored. Same with shoes, if they aren't made well then they aren't worth a dollar, if you have to keep replacing them.

My current purse is a beautiful, heavy and soft leather item that cost me $120.  My most expensive bag ever...  It's now 3 years old, and that's young for me and my leather bags.  Most of them get used for 10+ years.  I had a nice pair of good leather flats that were $105 new.  I wore them for 12 years.  I resoled them 5 times, and re heeled them another 3 or so on top of that.  I probably spent another $100 over the years, spiffing them up.  But, $200 over 10 years, with no problems caused by ill fitting shoes, breaks down to $20 a year - and I have NEVER had a $20 pair of shoes that fit me or would last more than a few months.  There are quite a few things that are expensive up front, but will pay for themselves many times over in length of use time.

May I ask where you found your good leather flats? I've never found a pricey pair of flats that felt much better than cheap flats, but perhaps I've been looking in the wrong places.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #484 on: April 09, 2013, 01:17:42 PM »
I bought flats by Rieker, and have had several strangers come up to me and tell me how much they liked them!  ;D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mharbourgirl

• I am what I am, not what everyone wishes me to be
« Reply #485 on: April 09, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
Oh, and the horseradish that was near the hotdogs, that was also where the refrigerated pickles were, too.  So I think they just didn't have the pink one.  My mom tried to suggest that I get some beets and follow some recipe... I have 4 kids under 7, not happening.  White horseradish will do.  :)

You are most wise, MommyPenguin.  My family always loved pickled horseradish, and I still do.  So one year Mom decided to add horseradish to the giant vegetable garden she put in to make her own.  Come late August, we go and pull the horseradish - they look like giant brown carrots, 1-2ft long.  Take them in, clean them and start peeling.

The house emptied instantly of all but Mom and unlucky me, who was helping and so couldn't leave.  The fumes from those roots will make your eyes water, your nose run, and the smell is horrendous.

We did have a pantry shelf full of lovely pickled horseradish when we were done, but once it was gone we went back to buying it at the grocery store. 

Mom is wonderfully frugal and made almost everything from scratch because it was much cheaper when you've got a big family to feed, but she could go too far sometimes.  That was one of those times.  I can still taste the fumes in the back of my throat when I remember it, and that was almost 30 years ago!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #486 on: April 09, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.

Oh yeah!  The only time I replaced a pair was because I wanted a different colour, and the time I came off my motorbike wearing them and shredded the tops.  Still didn't go through the leather though - I wore them as bike boots for years!

I must wear out footwear quickly - I've had 2 pairs of Doc Marten's and wore through the soles (which are not replaceable due to their technology) in 2 years (each pair) of almost everyday wear.

I have no idea how you can manage that.  I am seriously impressed.  I can wear out a pair of tennis shoes in 3-6 months (fat guy plus being hard on them with disc golf and such).  I had a pair of Doc Martens that I wore 5 days a week for 6 years, and they still aren't worn out.  The soles have lost traction in a couple spots, and they don't look perfect anymore, but not worn out at all.

Color me impressed, too - I wore my first pair daily for 5+ years. Wore off the tread in a few key spots, but not all over, and not through the whole sole.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »

I just logged in. The Business membership is $35 for a primary + on secondary, and you can buy up to 8 more for addional unmentioned fees. It says nothing about having a business!

We would have a card, but our closest stores are nearly 2 hours away, so we go about 3 times a year as our son's guests. We probably save enough in one visit to on Advil and glucosimine to pay for the card, not to mention the paper goods and electronic supplies. We used to save a lot in one visit a month when we lived in City to be well worth.

They only take cash and Discover cards (as of last fall, anyway), and maybe checks - I don't know about that.

They take debit cards and checks, I have used visa and master card as well.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #488 on: April 09, 2013, 03:03:18 PM »
Oh, and the horseradish that was near the hotdogs, that was also where the refrigerated pickles were, too.  So I think they just didn't have the pink one.  My mom tried to suggest that I get some beets and follow some recipe... I have 4 kids under 7, not happening.  White horseradish will do.  :)

You are most wise, MommyPenguin.  My family always loved pickled horseradish, and I still do.  So one year Mom decided to add horseradish to the giant vegetable garden she put in to make her own.  Come late August, we go and pull the horseradish - they look like giant brown carrots, 1-2ft long.  Take them in, clean them and start peeling.

The house emptied instantly of all but Mom and unlucky me, who was helping and so couldn't leave.  The fumes from those roots will make your eyes water, your nose run, and the smell is horrendous.

We did have a pantry shelf full of lovely pickled horseradish when we were done, but once it was gone we went back to buying it at the grocery store. 

Mom is wonderfully frugal and made almost everything from scratch because it was much cheaper when you've got a big family to feed, but she could go too far sometimes.  That was one of those times.  I can still taste the fumes in the back of my throat when I remember it, and that was almost 30 years ago!

Ha!  Yeah, I don't love horseradish *that* much.  Just for Passover, mostly.  We're planning to do a vegetable garden in our new house, but I think we'll stick to carrots and peas and cucumbers and the like.  :)

nayberry

« Reply #489 on: April 09, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »
>snip<

Yes - my bras and panties started lasting a lot longer once I started washing the bras in a bag (albeit in the machine) and hanging all the lingerie to dry, about 10 years ago.  Apparently most European women would be aghast at the idea of machine-washing any of their lingerie.

UK here,  i chuck my lingerie in the washing machine on a 30degC wash and drip dry,

when my dh and i were living in our old house, he rarely drank tea, whereas i can guzzle it by the gallon, so i would reuse teabags, but i had two normal teas and 1 with 2 teabags to get the most i could from it.  really did save us money.

we also have a costco membership and i make a list from our normal supermarkets online shopping website and when we go round, if it isn't cheaper we don't get it,  except for meat, costco meat is always fab.

We have within walking distance: Aldi, Lidl x 2, Tesco, Sainsbury x 2, Waitrose x 2, Marks & Spencer and a few smaller speciality stores such as bakers, butchers, polish deli's,    and i adore the Chorizo from lidl,  can make so many different meals from it.

ok, looking at that we are definitely spoilt for choice. 

bloo

« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »

I just logged in. The Business membership is $35 for a primary + on secondary, and you can buy up to 8 more for addional unmentioned fees. It says nothing about having a business!

For many years the only credit card Sam's would take was Discover, but they'd always take checks. About 2-3 years ago the local Sam's here started taking MasterCard. I'd assume they take debit though I don't have a debit card.

Now Sam's has it's own credit card and that's the one I use for Sam's when I need to charge something. It's 'built-in' to my membership card.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #491 on: April 09, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »

For many years the only credit card Sam's would take was Discover, but they'd always take checks. About 2-3 years ago the local Sam's here started taking MasterCard. I'd assume they take debit though I don't have a debit card.

Now Sam's has it's own credit card and that's the one I use for Sam's when I need to charge something. It's 'built-in' to my membership card.
They also have a Sam's Club Discover Card, which is also 'built-in' to your membership card.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

25wishes

« Reply #492 on: April 09, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as cheapskate but I thought it was tacky.

My dad went into the hospital for cancer treatment and expected to be there for awhile. He put his (non-live-in) GF on his checking account so she could take care of his bills while he was in hospital.

He passed away after a very short time. My uncle, who was the executor of the estate, asked her for the money so he could at least get the funeral expenses paid. Nope, she was keeping it. He had to front the funeral money himself until the estate was settled.

reflection5

« Reply #493 on: April 09, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »

My dad went into the hospital for cancer treatment and expected to be there for awhile. He put his (non-live-in) GF on his checking account so she could take care of his bills while he was in hospital.

He passed away after a very short time. My uncle, who was the executor of the estate, asked her for the money so he could at least get the funeral expenses paid. Nope, she was keeping it. He had to front the funeral money himself until the estate was settled.

Not just tacky, but illegal.  Hope the executor goes after her.

Condolences re: your father.

Carotte

« Reply #494 on: April 09, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »

Not cheapstake, more like criminal or abuse of the situation...
I guess they didn't write anything down (who would think you need to with a relative or SO), so uncle can't prove she was only allowed to take care of his bills, not hers.