Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 217468 times)

Gwywnnydd

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #495 on: April 10, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.

Oh yeah!  The only time I replaced a pair was because I wanted a different colour, and the time I came off my motorbike wearing them and shredded the tops.  Still didn't go through the leather though - I wore them as bike boots for years!

I must wear out footwear quickly - I've had 2 pairs of Doc Marten's and wore through the soles (which are not replaceable due to their technology) in 2 years (each pair) of almost everyday wear.

I have no idea how you can manage that.  I am seriously impressed. 

I managed it by gripping so much with my toes when I walk, that I popped the soles, from the inside. Very disappointing.

weeblewobble

« Reply #496 on: April 10, 2013, 06:48:28 PM »
I've lost a significant amount of weight since Christmas.   At a recent gathering, a friend, Rachelle, very graciously paid me a compliment and asked what I'd been doing different. I replied, WW and I just started with a personal trainer through my gym to "tone up" now that I've shed the dense protective layer of fluff.  This apparently, was a huge mistake.  Someone else at the party, Tony, foghorned across the room that using a trainer was WASTEFUL and if I wasn't so lazy and uninformed I could do the exercises on my own and save the trainer's fees.  He suggested that I just follow the trainer around while he works with another woman of my size, watch what exercises she does and copy her.

Cue this expression from me:  :o

There's a couple of things wrong with this:

1) It's a theft of the trainer's time and techniques.

2) What are the odds that the trainer would be working with a woman of my (far above average) height and build during the times I go to the gym?

3) The exercises the trainer would be doing with the other woman might not be the best exercises for me.  For all I know, the other woman might have a major injury she's recovering from.

4) Part of the reason I want to use a trainer is that I need someone to correct my form and make sure I'm not under/over-doing it.  I don't want to hurt myself.  Using the Peeping Tom method of trainer stalking would not accomplish this.

5) Following another person around the gym, copying them, is a little creepy.

I immediately thought of this thread and simply smiled at him, saying, "That's an interesting thought."

DH, however, has never been to ehell, and wanting to defend his wife, told Tony, "Weeble's doing great.  I'm really proud of how much progress she's made and if she wants to devote money to learning which exercises will work best for her goals, I'm all for it."

Tony grumbled that it must be nice to have "money to waste."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #497 on: April 10, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
^Reminds me of a TV show (Will and Grace?  I'm not sure.) where Grace(?) followed a woman and her trainer.  Turned out the trainer was training the paying woman to have smaller b00bs and a bigger butt. >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #498 on: April 10, 2013, 06:59:40 PM »
My gm was one of those people who would take anything not nailed down at a fast food place...napkins, plastic utensils, sweet n low, whatever.

Had another relative build an outside shower, cold water only, because he didn't want water going into his septic system.  It was completely functional and needed no repairs, he just didn't want to pay the guy to empty it.  In the same vain, he only flushed the toilet once a day and no one was allowed to flush any toilet paper (he kept a small, unlined, garbage can to place all used paper...even #2's). Yuck, yuck, yuck.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

weeblewobble

« Reply #499 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:13 PM »
The irony is that the boots theory works both ways.  To give my real-life example which actually involves boots, I always wear "hiking boots" for footwear because I like the way they work for me.  I put that in quotes because there are $25.00 cheapies and $500.00 extreme-o boots, and since I wear them all the time they wear out a lot faster than hiking boots normally do.  The thing is, I figured out that a good set of boots lasts 3-4 times as long as the cheapies, so it would seem that they would be the better investment.  But the problem is that the good boots that last that long are $150.00, so they'd have to last six times as long to be worth it, and the big plus is that I always have a reasonably new backup pair of boots.

This is only one example, but there are plenty of situations where the extra quality doesn't justify the extra cost, so it pays to consider the balance in all things.

Virg

I make that argument about bras - you can go through a lot of $8 K-mart Specials before you approach the price of a $60 good one - and the good ones can get ruined in the dryer just as easily.  I'd rather have cheap ones I don't have to take such good care of  :P  (Of course, that's all moot if you're a hard-to-find size . . . then you buy what fits and wear it forever!)

My bras are also wonders of modern engineering.  I refuse to scrimp on them because 1) I can't find cheap bras in my size and 2) I want all of the preservative support I can get.  I will spend anywhere from $35 to $60 each, depending on if it's a "specialty" bra (strapless, backless, fires bullets like a Fembot.)  Up until recently, friend of mine (who is significantly smaller) thought this was a huge waste of money and told me I should just go to the discount store and buy a cheaper one. She simply refused to believe I could be that hard to fit.

Finally, I got her to understand.  She's an avid runner and spends quite a bit of money on quality running shoes. We were out shopping and she was looking at a very expensive pair of running shoes.  I scoffed and said, "Well, that's a huge waste of money, why don't you just go to the discount store and buy a $12 pair of sneakers?"

Friend's eyes went huge and she said, "That would kill my feet!  Those shoes offer no support."

"Really?" I asked.  "So, it's worth it to you, to spend your money on a well-made item, when that quality supports something that's important to you."  And I glanced down at my cleavage.

Friend's face flushed and said, "I got it, I got it."

weeblewobble

« Reply #500 on: April 10, 2013, 07:07:58 PM »
^Reminds me of a TV show (Will and Grace?  I'm not sure.) where Grace(?) followed a woman and her trainer.  Turned out the trainer was training the paying woman to have smaller b00bs and a bigger butt. >:D

OK, that would be reason number 6!!  I do not need a bigger behind.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #501 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:46 PM »
Weeblewobble, that's creepy.

Dazi, that's sick.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #502 on: April 10, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
Weeblewobble, that's creepy.

Dazi, that's sick.

No kidding...just glad I don't have to deal with him often.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

HoneyBee42

« Reply #503 on: April 11, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »
Finally reached the end of the thread ... and a few additions from me, now.

Relatives (husband and wife) who would do the two people/one teabag thing and then *reuse* said teabag the next day.  Not because that's the way they liked their tea, they were just cheap.

Some of the stories on my ex:

1)  Bringing home trash (literally picked up off the curb) for our use.  A chair, shelves, a propane-powered grill that was missing some of the wheels, a dresser with peeling veneer, toys for the children, bicycles (that were missing stuff or the chains were rusted to the point of irretrievable). 

2)  Not allowing the heat to be turned on before November 1 (in upstate NY where it usually involved snow on the ground in October) -- I would frequently "cheat" and turn it on and quickly turn it off if he came home unexpectedly just because I found it inhumane to live in a house where I could see my breath indoors.  He also didn't think it should be turned above 60 (Fahrenheit).

3) Buying the children shoes--he would never buy the right size, but something that was too big by about three sizes.  He'd holler about me being wasteful when I bought them shoes that were the right size because "they're just going to outgrow them before next year".  So what--properly fitting shoes are important, especially for children. 

4) He tried to refuse to allow oldest son to have braces because "my father [that is, my FIL, who was by then deceased] never paid for braces for any of his children and [one particular sister] got them when she was 30, he can wait".  We had enough money for the downpayment and the monthly (interest free loan) payment was only $133, which was pretty affordable.  I was sneaky and came up with a way to get the down payment made and got him the braces (I hid the tax refund check, did the "for deposit only" thing into our joint account and then paid the orthodontist).  After that, I had to make all the monthly payments from my check (that joint account was really "in name only"--he had his own separate account in his name) even though he was making 3x as much and I still had to come up with the groceries for 6 plus the "free dog" he insisted on getting.

5) When he delivered newspapers, there was one time when a cleaning product was given out as samples with the paper.  (Some Comet spray thing).  He later went through and cleared out a whole bunch of samples from the newspaper boxes (ok, the people hadn't taken them and had taken the paper, but seriously?) 

MerryCat

« Reply #504 on: April 11, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »
My mother had really strong cheapskate tendencies :

- Softening butter to add milk to it, so that when it was solid again, there would be more butter.

Does that actually work? What milk to butter ratio do you use? I'm really curious to try it.

I'm turning in myself and DH as cheapskates here. In our defense we were starving college students at the time and money was very tight even though we were living at home. For our dates we would sometimes go to Ikea for their cheap lunch deals and if that didn't fill us up, which it almost never did, we'd fill up on the free crackers and jam. Sometimes we'd even take extras for snacks later.

When we got our first apartment together after graduating we bought all our furniture, and even our curtains, towels and some of our dishes, at Ikea, so hopefully that made up for our earlier cheapness.

AylaM

« Reply #505 on: April 11, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
My grandmother's neighbor was cheap.  The husband had the wife on an unrealistic budget for the household - to the point where I was told they went to get it resolved legally.  I was told that he was forced to increase her allowance, but I am not sure that is true.  I don't know if there is any legal way for that to be done.

Before it was resolved, I can recall that on trash day she'd go through the cans on the curb open the bags and pick through them.

And it wasn't that they were really hurting for money.  He paid their 30 year mortgage off in under 10 years and bought all their cars and big expenses in cash.  Which is admirable...but his wife was picking through the neighbor's trash.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #506 on: April 11, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
My grandmother's neighbor was cheap.  The husband had the wife on an unrealistic budget for the household - to the point where I was told they went to get it resolved legally.  I was told that he was forced to increase her allowance, but I am not sure that is true.  I don't know if there is any legal way for that to be done.

Before it was resolved, I can recall that on trash day she'd go through the cans on the curb open the bags and pick through them.

And it wasn't that they were really hurting for money.  He paid their 30 year mortgage off in under 10 years and bought all their cars and big expenses in cash.  Which is admirable...but his wife was picking through the neighbor's trash.

I don't care what the motive is for being a skinflint; picking through trash should not be the result.

Coralreef

« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »

- Softening butter to add milk to it, so that when it was solid again, there would be more butter.

Does that actually work? What milk to butter ratio do you use? I'm really curious to try it.

She used 1 cup of milk to one pound of butter.  On a personal note, I found it disgusting on toast and useless in frying steak.  The only thing it was really good for was baking.  And it was a waste of time as it seemed to take forever to mix.  Although I was a child at the time; I haven't done that as an adult, so maybe there was something to it.  She later switched to margarine as it was cheaper than butter. 

[/right

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #508 on: April 11, 2013, 08:44:55 AM »

If you soften butter and whip it with an equal amount of olive oil, you end up with twice as much butter that tastes good and is spreadable from the fridge (but liquid if you leave it out).   
The spreadable margarine that we buy, the cheaper stuff anyway, is often whipped with water to add volume, so you're paying a lot of money for water-soaked margarine, and it's no good for cooking.  The butter/olive oil mix is good for cooking.

Hillia

« Reply #509 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:25 AM »
I lived in Monterey, CA for a while in the mid 80s and worked in a county office.  One of the men who worked there owned a home on 17 Mile Drive (very, very expensive real estate, at least back then there were several celebrities including Clint Eastwood who lived there).  Thinking back now, I can't remember the sacrifices this man and his wife made to be ablel to live there; I do remember him cutting coupons out of the office copy of the newspaper, and buying lunch at the grill at KMart on double hot dog days.  They basically poured every cent of their income into their house, which is certainly their choice, but it always seemed to me to be detrimental to their overall quality of life - sure, the house was great, but the furniture (I heard) was pretty sparse, they had one 15 year old car on its last legs, and of course there was no room at all for fun items in the budget.  Kind of a grim life, to me, but each to his own.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools