Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 217569 times)

alkira6

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #525 on: April 12, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »
This is what I've learned to do with jeans. I have "thunder thighs" that rub against the seams on the inside leg and they wear harder than the rest of the jeans. I have some old jeans that I have cut into strips that I use fusable webbing to patch in and then sew in so that the inside legs are re-enforced for hard wear. For some reason I do not have this same issue with any other pants, just jeans.

As a lifelong fat person, I have become quite the expert at patching the inner thighs of pants.  Nearly every pair of my pants has patches there, but since I made the pants, the patches are out of the exact same material.   As for jeans.....I've patched jeans for friends, but I don't wear them.

The pants that I make for myself already have a V shaped insert that is made of two pieces of fabric fused together and sewn into each leg.  I find that I have much less frustration doing it from the front end. That or making sundresses. Over the past few years the medium weight dress up/dress down sundress has become my friend.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #526 on: April 12, 2013, 11:48:41 PM »
I used to buy a $15-20 purse at one of the discount stores 3-4 times a year. I then realized these purses weren't made well and I was tired of repairing or discarding them. I now buy one or two well made purses a year for $30-40 and they last. I just change them out if I get bored. Same with shoes, if they aren't made well then they aren't worth a dollar, if you have to keep replacing them.

My current purse is a beautiful, heavy and soft leather item that cost me $120.  My most expensive bag ever...  It's now 3 years old, and that's young for me and my leather bags.  Most of them get used for 10+ years.  I had a nice pair of good leather flats that were $105 new.  I wore them for 12 years.  I resoled them 5 times, and re heeled them another 3 or so on top of that.  I probably spent another $100 over the years, spiffing them up.  But, $200 over 10 years, with no problems caused by ill fitting shoes, breaks down to $20 a year - and I have NEVER had a $20 pair of shoes that fit me or would last more than a few months.  There are quite a few things that are expensive up front, but will pay for themselves many times over in length of use time.

Doc Marten's boots. I used to LIVE in those things, and never managed to wear a pair out. At worst, a pair might be downgraded to use for painting & such where I don't want to wear shoes that I care about getting paint-splattered.

Careful with the new styles of Doc boots. My friend bought some black and white ones and the white flaked off almost instantly. Apparently the white had been painted on and not dyed and could not handle the natural creasing from walking. I bought a high heeled b & w womens version of the same thing and thankfully i got to treat them before any paint flecked off but they will need to be redone within a year or so. I also have a pair of bloodred traditional Doc which have no colour problems 5 years down the track. There is a problem with their white stuff though and it's not only Doc shoes with this problem. Still very hardy and comfortable boots but I have also noticed their soles are made of much softer rubber now then the ones from 10-15 years ago. I have more wear on my occasional wearing on my 2 year old red boots than my 20+ 4th hand black boots which have hardly any wear on the soles at all.

Are you ordering yours directly from the UK or from a US store?

Sorry about the quote tree. I ordered from the US store but his pair of b&w shoes came from the UK and mine from the US. They were shipped from whoever had them in stock really. Mind you the pricing was fantastic. If I'd bought my shoes here in Australia they would have cost me over $300 and ordering from overseas cost me $130 inc shipping (on sale). I've been told painted white is a tricky thing to adhere properly to leather in any shoe brand. Any teeny imperfection can ruin the whole thing. Friend isn't too bothered by his 'mouldy' looking shoes and he couldn't be bothered sending them back for an obvious manufacturing defect. Shrug, his loss. If my white comes off like his has I'll just recover in fabric.

Just be aware of painted shoes vs dyed shoes (which is which isn't often mentioned). Dyed will hold up to creasing much better, painted often doesn't. Never knew that until I talked to a cobbler.

Library Dragon

« Reply #527 on: April 13, 2013, 12:04:17 AM »
Humm... I'll have to try that.

I'm also debating just getting some khaki colored jeans, since it makes no sense to me to wear these thin flimsy pants to work in a kitchen.

You may want to try Dickies (http://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants.jsp), they are made for more demanding wear.  Carhartt's are good, but expensive.  DH hates to buy clothes and I buy him Dickies because they last forever.  Their scrubs hold up well too. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

crella

« Reply #528 on: April 13, 2013, 02:25:15 AM »
I don't know if this qualifies as cheapskate but I thought it was tacky.

My dad went into the hospital for cancer treatment and expected to be there for awhile. He put his (non-live-in) GF on his checking account so she could take care of his bills while he was in hospital.

He passed away after a very short time. My uncle, who was the executor of the estate, asked her for the money so he could at least get the funeral expenses paid. Nope, she was keeping it. He had to front the funeral money himself until the estate was settled.

Not just tacky, but illegal.  Hope the executor goes after her.

Condolences re: your father.

It may not be illegal. We just found this out the hard way when my mother passed away in August. My mother was arguing with my sister about 8 months before she died, trying to get my sister's name off her bank accounts, with my sister refusing to sign the papers. My mother never did any of the banking, so when my sister told her that her name had to be on the accounts she believed her and evidently made all her accounts into joint accounts with my sister as soon as my father died.

When I asked my sister about it, she told me she was on only one checking account, the one my mother used at the local supermarket. After the will was read, and my brother and I went to the bank (he was executor and I was helping out) we found out that she was on everything, even my father's IRA, and there was nothing we could do about it. Joint accounts at the time of a death go directly to the other cosigner on the account, they are not considered a part of the estate. There was only some cash we found in the house to work with to clean out a packed 12-room house. My husband funded all the construction to get the house in shape to be sold. My brother had to give away all the furniture he inherited, because the funds (promised to him verbally by my mother, to be withdrawn from the IRA upon her death) to do it with had all gone to my sister.

The GF quite possibly knew this, and so  is keeping the money.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #529 on: April 13, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
We went through something similar when my GM died. She had remarried after buying the property she lived on and building the house, and the property and house was only in her name. The rule was that her widower could live there until he died, then the estate would sell the property to be divided amongst my mother and aunt.

However, GM's husband began moving in women to help him with cooking and cleaning, and eventually married one of them, W, before he died. W moved her son and his GF into the house, which they promptly trashed. They also sold many of my GM's possessions. It took us three months to get them out (legal process of eviction), and six months to clean the property before we could sell it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #530 on: April 13, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
"I just thought you should know you're wife is out here spending your paycheck on shoes," he told DH.

This friend, of course, is a notorious cheapskate, who flips out anytime his wife makes a purchase he doesn't approve of.

Does his wife work or is it a case of "No wife of mine will ever work" so the can control the purse strings?  I bet he longs for the days when all women have no say.
My parents were good friends with a man who had a similar attitude about his wife. One time Mom and the lady were shopping for a particular occasion. Now, Dad has always sort of liked going shopping with Mom, and the other man was there to keep an eye on his wife. The wife tried on two dresses, and she and my parents agreed that one was much more flattering than the other. The husband checked the tags, and then announced that his wife should buy the cheaper, less flattering one. My parents were appalled.

The husband died about 15 years ago and his widow is spending all his savings going out to eat, shopping as much as she pleases, and traveling....with her gentleman friend.  We could probably generate electricity from the spinning her husband is doing in his grave.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #531 on: April 13, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
Good for her!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #532 on: April 13, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
"I just thought you should know you're wife is out here spending your paycheck on shoes," he told DH.

This friend, of course, is a notorious cheapskate, who flips out anytime his wife makes a purchase he doesn't approve of.

Does his wife work or is it a case of "No wife of mine will ever work" so the can control the purse strings?  I bet he longs for the days when all women have no say.
My parents were good friends with a man who had a similar attitude about his wife. One time Mom and the lady were shopping for a particular occasion. Now, Dad has always sort of liked going shopping with Mom, and the other man was there to keep an eye on his wife. The wife tried on two dresses, and she and my parents agreed that one was much more flattering than the other. The husband checked the tags, and then announced that his wife should buy the cheaper, less flattering one. My parents were appalled.

The husband died about 15 years ago and his widow is spending all his savings going out to eat, shopping as much as she pleases, and traveling....with her gentleman friend.  We could probably generate electricity from the spinning her husband is doing in his grave.

Too bad she still has to pay for the electrical hookup - because I'm sure that she would relish the idea!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cabbageweevil

« Reply #533 on: April 14, 2013, 05:57:25 AM »
I have a friend who is highly -- what Americans call "cheap", and Brits, "mean" (and he's always had very well-paying jobs).  He's a byword among his friends and family, for his extreme cheapskate-ishness. (He does also have some excellent qualities.)

Many instances of petty penny-pinching on his part over the years, come to mind. One IMO egregious one which sticks with me, is: I was staying at his home one time, and was making coffee for him, me, and I think another visitor. I put in the kettle, well over the necessary amount of water for three cups of coffee, and boiled it. Friend, finding the surplus hot water, insisted in putting it into a thermos flask to keep it hot until a future occasion when hot water would be wanted.

I can "see with my head", the point of trying to measure out the approximate amount of water that you'll need to boil -- though I'm just not capable of functioning that way; but the thermos-flask stunt, frankly struck me as -- to put it mildly, over-the-top.

I used to work for 2 brothers who were millionaires many times over.  They were obsessed with stamps. Everyday they would check the incoming mail to see if any stamps had accidentally not been cancelled and then they would spend hours carefully steaming and soaking off the stamps for reuse.  They got very upset at me one day when I let a stamp get past me.

My cheapskate friend is just the same with the business of soaking off and reusing accidentally-unfranked stamps -- he does it "religiously". The one time I tried to do the same thing: I somehow did not manage to glue the stamp successfully, to the envelope -- it clearly got detached in transit: I was told by the recipient of that letter, that I had forgotten to stamp it, and he had had to pay postage due. (I duly explained to him, and offered to reimburse him.) I took that incident as a message from on high, to the effect that I haven't got what it takes to be an effective cheapskate.

reflection5

« Reply #534 on: April 14, 2013, 06:19:58 AM »
I was half watching/half listening to HLN Murder Mysteries yesterday afternoon and caught something that made me think of this thread.  A woman was shown entering and leaving a store (similar to Lowes) on a certain date and time.  She bought some containers of some kind of acid and a few other things used in the crime.  The investigators explained that the video wasnít clear enough to prove it was her, but something else did:  she used her discount card to save 34 cents.  That helped to prove she bought the items.

Nothing wrong with using a discount card; most of us do it all the time.  But Iíll bet she wishes she hadnít bothered.  Now she's in prison.  ;)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #535 on: April 14, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
I love that.

The stamp thing makes me remember a boss of a client of my first ad agency who nickel and dimed my company within an inch of his life.  That was back in the days before computers on every desk, the current quality of fax, e-mail, and the internet (sometime during the Roman Empire). 

One day my boss was giving a presentation at their office.  The documents were in duo-tang folders that had paper fasteners inside, a clear front cover, and a white rear cover.  The CEO of the client company took the papers out of it and put the folder in front of my boss asking "Am I paying for that?"

I had never met this man (who never came to our office) so I had no way of knowing whether this was pure rudeness, stinginess, or a power play.  I wasn't at the meeting so I couldn't make any assumptions.  However, the following two incidents told me he was cheap to the point of depravity:

1.  He got really weird about postage.  My firm's senior partner received a memo from him one day that contained cancelled postage ripped off of that week's mail (He opened all the mail in the company no matter whom it was addressed to).  The mail that week was all from different departments in our office and addressed to different people in different departments within the client's company, which was much larger than ours.  The memo -- written on a carbon form -- said "If you can waste this much money on postage maybe we should renegotiate the commission."  The entire office rolled their eyes at that.  My immediate boss -- who lived ten minutes away from the client -- then announced that he would collect every piece of correspondence every day and drop it off in person on his way home twice a week after that.

2.  Here is the kicker:  My then-boyfriend was an office supplies buyer for a banking chain.  His invitation to a vendor show included a free guest, so I went with him and picked up a huge shopping bag of new products that included vinyl-coated paper clips in assorted colors.  I brought this to the office and used them.  My boss told me one morning after dropping off an estimate to our client "Where did you get that red paper clip?  Harvey loved it."  I explained the source and he said.  "The other day his boss held a senior management meeting at which he announced that the company was no longer going to waste money on paper clips.  The meeting went on for an hour and a half in which he explained what documents were to be stapled instead of held together with paper clips.  Harvey wants to be able to identify his paper clips so he can get them back, so can we get him a box that are all one color, like blue?" 

I told him I'd ask our office manager, but also speculated on how this man could justify wasting 90 minutes of his highest-paid employees' time over an annual office expenditure that didn't equal the hourly wage of any of them.  My boss knew this didn't make any sense, but we didn't want to lose the account.

Our next CEO resigned the account three years later over a difference of opinion regarding how the client was handling a product's second year in the market.  That client is no longer in business.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #536 on: April 14, 2013, 02:07:32 PM »
I was half watching/half listening to HLN Murder Mysteries yesterday afternoon and caught something that made me think of this thread.  A woman was shown entering and leaving a store (similar to Lowes) on a certain date and time.  She bought some containers of some kind of acid and a few other things used in the crime.  The investigators explained that the video wasnít clear enough to prove it was her, but something else did:  she used her discount card to save 34 cents.  That helped to prove she bought the items.

Nothing wrong with using a discount card; most of us do it all the time.  But Iíll bet she wishes she hadnít bothered.  Now she's in prison.  ;)

I remember that one! She and the victim had matching luxury sedans and she was switching them out in the parking lot too.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #537 on: April 14, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
I love that.

The stamp thing makes me remember a boss of a client of my first ad agency who nickel and dimed my company within an inch of his life.  That was back in the days before computers on every desk, the current quality of fax, e-mail, and the internet (sometime during the Roman Empire). ..

1.  He got really weird about postage.  My firm's senior partner received a memo from him one day that contained cancelled postage ripped off of that week's mail (He opened all the mail in the company no matter whom it was addressed to).  The mail that week was all from different departments in our office and addressed to different people in different departments within the client's company, which was much larger than ours.  The memo -- written on a carbon form -- said "If you can waste this much money on postage maybe we should renegotiate the commission."  The entire office rolled their eyes at that.  My immediate boss -- who lived ten minutes away from the client -- then announced that he would collect every piece of correspondence every day and drop it off in person on his way home twice a week after that.

People can indeed be amazingly stingy over postal matters. It occurs to me that if cheapskatery were a more widespread human trait, perhaps the use of postage stamps would never have caught on. After all, we managed without them for very many centuries before their introduction in the 1840s...

reflection5

« Reply #538 on: April 14, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
I was half watching/half listening to HLN Murder Mysteries yesterday afternoon and caught something that made me think of this thread.  A woman was shown entering and leaving a store (similar to Lowes) on a certain date and time.  She bought some containers of some kind of acid and a few other things used in the crime.  The investigators explained that the video wasn’t clear enough to prove it was her, but something else did:  she used her discount card to save 34 cents.  That helped to prove she bought the items.

Nothing wrong with using a discount card; most of us do it all the time.  But I’ll bet she wishes she hadn’t bothered.  Now she's in prison.  ;)

I remember that one! She and the victim had matching luxury sedans and she was switching them out in the parking lot too.

YES!  Must have been a rerun. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:57:15 PM by reflection5 »

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #539 on: April 15, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »

Honestly, if you put that in a work of fiction, people would assume it could only be satire, not a realistic portrayal.

"Hmmm, I could disappear leaving no evidence of this purchase, or save 34 cents. Decisions, decisions...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."