Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 204772 times)

Figgie

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #615 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:53 PM »
Just a quick note to remind people that pressure cooking canning is the only effective way to prevent botulism in high PH foods like meat.  Here's a link with more information:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Clostridium_botulinum/index.asp

magicdomino

« Reply #616 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »
...    I will stick them in my pantry and then curse them whenever I can't put something else away, so in the garbage they will
go.   ...

I'd dump the contents and save the jars!   ;D

Some of the jars are reused commercial jars, like salsa jars. I don't think those can be/should be reused.

Oh, I don't know.  I inherited a lot of ancient home-canned goods, many of them in whatever jar happened to fit a canning lid.  I buried the contents in the vegetable garden, and the jars are being reused -- after being smashed, melted and formed into new jars.   That counts as reusing, doesn't it?  ;)

Amasi

« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Amasi, I assume it was a chest freezer?  I've seen people on my local Freecycle asking for non-working freezers to store grain in (presumably for in a barn) because it helps keep vermin out.  If you're within driving distance of a rural area, you may be able to find someone who will come pick it up!

It's a very large upright freezer. I've already tried putting it on my local free stuff page. I've also tried emailing the local scrap metal place to see if they'd pick it up, but got no reply. It may be time to try again  :)

A few years ago, before the show Hoarders, there was a show called Clean House starring Niecy Nash. One episode involved a young married couple and their house, overrun with "treasures" her family kept dumping on them. It sounded as though the family were all hoarders and now that there was new "free" space, they were going to fill it up. As an example, I remember someone had been driving along the highway and had seen a golf bag and stopped, picked it up and brought it to their house. The clubs were all bent and totally unusable. They felt like they couldn't get rid of it because it would be "mean" or "rude". Niecy pointed out that her family was being incredibly rude and presumptuous to foist junk, BROKEN junk, on them and take over their home as a dumping ground. And honestly, the house and yard looked like a dump, a real dump.  Niecy basically told them to grow spines and refuse to allow this behavior to continue.

Yes I think spine is the key here. I'm working on it!

I needed to read this. When my inlaws were here earlier this month, I was "given" six jars of homecanned food. I have no problem with homecanned foods at all, my pantry is full of things I've canned. However, the newest of these jars is from 2011, the oldest, 2005, and that is orange cucumber relish, not something we'd eat at all. The rest of the canned goods are strange food combos or food that I question the quality of before it was canned. We will not eat them at all, I know to be polite (even though they are gone) I will stick them in my pantry and then curse them whenever I can't put something else away, so in the garbage they will go.

You're lucky! Mine weren't even dated! Every so often a jar of home canned pickled onions will turn up. I'm sure they must be about a decade old by now, and they have bright green spots all over them...I throw em out whenever they end up in my hands but they keep turning up.

Yeah, my dad comes from a family of hoarders. He and his brothers all married women who are either anti-hoarders or good at organizing, which is probably the only thing that saved them. Sometimes the symptoms of being a hoarder and being a cheapskate are the same--collecting plasticware, napkins, and condiment packages from restaurants, for example. In my mind, the hoarder never ends up using all the napkins they've collected, while the cheapskate uses them them for everything, even stuff that's kind of dicey, like baby diapers and toilet paper and gift wrap. I think the cheapskate actually has to save money, on the surface anyway, from not buying diapers and toilet paper and gift wrap in order to feel good; while the hoarder feels good because they've got this huge pile of napkins, which probably gets dirty and unusable before they can ever be used. That's my take on it, anyway.

I think this is quite accurate. I try to be careful to follow through when I set out to be thrifty. For example, I read a thread here about making your own stock from vege scraps, and since I always feel guilty about throwing "good" parts of veges in the compost, and I love making soup, I thought it was a brilliant idea. And then I had visions of myself collecting 800 containers of scraps and never making any stock. Luckily, I don't have the freezer space for that, and I've been regularly making up stocks. And no, I haven't told my family I've found a use for food scraps  :)

Another example of attempted thrift thwarted by lack of follow through. When my parents moved into their current house, the room they chose for me was unfinished. Most of the saga is irrelevant, but the room had two windows, one looking into the garage and one onto the back yard. They acquired a curtain from somewhere for my garage window, which didn't quite fit so wouldn't close all the way. They also decided to make the curtains for my large garden window. Fair enough. And they did make...one of the pair. Alone, it only covered 2/3 of the window, so I spent my teenage years carefully hiding whenever I wanted to change clothes. It's still like that.

Shalamar

« Reply #618 on: April 17, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
When my husband's aunt had to move into a senior's complex, her furniture was up for grabs.  My mother-in-law, knowing that we were planning to buy a couch (the "beer" couch that I mentioned in a previous post), high-handedly informed us that we could buy Aunt's couch from her.  We said "No, thank you - we'd rather buy our own."  "But why?  It's nice!"  "We just don't want a used couch."  "But it's almost new!  She only bought it a couple of years ago!"  "No, we don't want it.  But thanks anyway."

About a week later, she called us again and said "Aunt will give you the couch for free."  Um, yeah, because that was what was holding us back - the price.    ::)

She was quite put out when we still said no.  I hope Aunt was able to sell it to someone else!

wheeitsme

« Reply #619 on: April 17, 2013, 04:56:12 PM »
...    I will stick them in my pantry and then curse them whenever I can't put something else away, so in the garbage they will
go.   ...

I'd dump the contents and save the jars!   ;D

Some of the jars are reused commercial jars, like salsa jars. I don't think those can be/should be reused.

Oh, I don't know.  I inherited a lot of ancient home-canned goods, many of them in whatever jar happened to fit a canning lid.  I buried the contents in the vegetable garden, and the jars are being reused -- after being smashed, melted and formed into new jars.   That counts as reusing, doesn't it?  ;)

Actually the old jars (including old commercial jars) can be re-used.  They need to be cleaned and sterilized (like in a dishwasher), but they can be re-used.  The lids should not.  Every time you can something you should use a new lid. If the new canning lids fit the old commercial jars, that could be very acceptable. 

I don't bother with the old commercial jars because it's too much trouble.  I do, however, check to see if they have any old canning jars in any thrift store I go into (but those usually get snatched up really quick).

Arrynne

« Reply #620 on: April 17, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »
Amasi, I assume it was a chest freezer?  I've seen people on my local Freecycle asking for non-working freezers to store grain in (presumably for in a barn) because it helps keep vermin out.  If you're within driving distance of a rural area, you may be able to find someone who will come pick it up!

It's a very large upright freezer. I've already tried putting it on my local free stuff page. I've also tried emailing the local scrap metal place to see if they'd pick it up, but got no reply. It may be time to try again  :)

Check for an appliance recycler.  Last time we bought a fridge, a third party company came out to pick up the old one and recycle it.  It cost us $30, but got rid of the boat anchor.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #621 on: April 17, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »
Or look online for a scrap metal hauler. We had one come take away our dead fridge for free. He also took a bunch of other metal stuff that had been building up in the shed.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #622 on: April 17, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »
Made no sense except that the value lay not in the food consumed, but in the  money saved.  He couldn't get that it's not really a savings if you don't want what you're eating!
Or if you don't need what is on sale.  If you don't need a widget that normally costs $1000, but you buy it because it's 70% off, you haven't saved $700 -- you've spent $300 for a totally useless widget!  Couldn't get that through to my brother in any way, shape, form, or manner.  He and his wife would spend all their money on junk and then go whining to my parents that they couldn't pay their rent/car payment/electric bill.

Never figured it out. We were raised in the same house by the same parents, but I learned to budget my money, pay the bills and put some in savings FIRST, then buy the fun stuff with what was left over.  Brother never did.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #623 on: April 17, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
I honestly think that if it weren't for recycling that I would be a hoarder about some things.

When recycling came to town, I had over 50 margarine and Cool Whip containers and about 25 gallon milk jugs and uncountable glass jars - peanut butter, Miracle Whip, dressing (those all came in glass in my early marriage.) Now I am the queen of recycling and even treated myself to food storage containers that stack and fit nicely into a  small space.  I'm very choosey about plastic bags to reuse, to.

I still have fabric scraps from the first suit I sewed (1961) and some other pieces that will never be used, but I'm working on it. I even donated my yarn stash to Good Will when I realized that my hands don't work for crochet and knitting anymore, but I was very neat about it and labeled by fiber type. I keep hoping that I read on here that 'Wow! I got the coolest bunch of yarn! Several skeins that matched and a lot of scraps in neat balls for my plastic mesh projects!'

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #624 on: April 17, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
I have to keep my middle child from turning into a hoarder.  He's an aspiring engineer and wants to hold onto just about every single piece of scrap metal or plastic he can find, or wire or tape.

It doesn't matter if toys are broken, he will insist "But I can use it to build something else!"  Now, to give him credit, he is very creative and at 10 years old, he's very good and understands the basics of circuits.  Today, with batteries and some spare bits of wire, he gave a Lego car a homemade motorized propeller.   

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #625 on: April 17, 2013, 07:24:13 PM »
Pirateluvr your son reminds me of my cousins and me when we were that age...we were all creators and builders (as adults now, among us there are a machinist, an engineer and a mechanic) and when we were about the same age as your son when we built a little boat (that floated!) and took apart a Walkman and used its cassette motor to give it a propeller.  It buzzed out into the middle of our town's man-made lake, where we'd repeatedly swim out to rescue it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Bluenomi

« Reply #626 on: April 17, 2013, 07:54:08 PM »
Made no sense except that the value lay not in the food consumed, but in the  money saved.  He couldn't get that it's not really a savings if you don't want what you're eating!
Or if you don't need what is on sale.  If you don't need a widget that normally costs $1000, but you buy it because it's 70% off, you haven't saved $700 -- you've spent $300 for a totally useless widget!  Couldn't get that through to my brother in any way, shape, form, or manner.  He and his wife would spend all their money on junk and then go whining to my parents that they couldn't pay their rent/car payment/electric bill.

Never figured it out. We were raised in the same house by the same parents, but I learned to budget my money, pay the bills and put some in savings FIRST, then buy the fun stuff with what was left over.  Brother never did.

DH and BIL are like that. DH is great at budgeting, saving etc but BIL just spends and spends (mostly on new cars). It took me a while but I worked it out, DH is like MIL but BIL is like FIL. He is the same, MIL is always complaining about him wanting to buy new cars and waste money. So glad I got the sensible brother!

reflection5

« Reply #627 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:46 PM »
   The sad part is that hoarding, from what I've read, is one of the most difficult compulsions to treat because it is almost impossible to convince the hoarder that what they're doing is not normal.

Yup. I was watching over the weekend, and told a friend there is no way I could ever help someone who hoards clean out their home. I am ruthless, and am of the mind, if its not needed, don't have space for it, its trash, or you have more than you could ever possibly use" it goes. I simply don't have the patience since as you said, they don't know that their behavior isn't normal.

Yeah, my dad comes from a family of hoarders. He and his brothers all married women who are either anti-hoarders or good at organizing, which is probably the only thing that saved them. Sometimes the symptoms of being a hoarder and being a cheapskate are the same--collecting plasticware, napkins, and condiment packages from restaurants, for example. In my mind, the hoarder never ends up using all the napkins they've collected, while the cheapskate uses them them for everything, even stuff that's kind of dicey, like baby diapers and toilet paper and gift wrap. I think the cheapskate actually has to save money, on the surface anyway, from not buying diapers and toilet paper and gift wrap in order to feel good; while the hoarder feels good because they've got this huge pile of napkins, which probably gets dirty and unusable before they can ever be used. That's my take on it, anyway.

I  agree (w/bolded).  Cheapskate must save money/get something free and will use the items.  OTOH, hoarder feels better just having things and stockpiling them, even though they often won't use them or even allow others to use them. (footnote: I hope we haven't derailed the thread with analysis of hoarding.  Don't want to get thread locked.)  :-\

misha412

« Reply #628 on: April 17, 2013, 10:01:39 PM »
This isn't really my cheapskate story, since it happened before I met DH, but FIL has (and apparently has always had) a strong cheapskate streak.  MIL has a strong passive-aggressive streak, which makes for some interesting dynamics sometimes.  Apparently once upon a time when DH was young, FIL went to Costo or Sam's Club or one of those big "bargain" stores and discovered you can buy split pea soup by the crate - 48 times the regular package size.  Incidentally, he's the only one in the family who likes split pea soup. MIL proceeded to serve him split pea soup every breakfast, lunch, and dinner for two weeks.  (FIL later canceled his Costco membership.)

I am laughing so hard I just about snorted Coke out my nose.  ;D

He loved split pea soup...so what was the problem?  >:D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #629 on: April 17, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
This isn't really my cheapskate story, since it happened before I met DH, but FIL has (and apparently has always had) a strong cheapskate streak.  MIL has a strong passive-aggressive streak, which makes for some interesting dynamics sometimes.  Apparently once upon a time when DH was young, FIL went to Costo or Sam's Club or one of those big "bargain" stores and discovered you can buy split pea soup by the crate - 48 times the regular package size.  Incidentally, he's the only one in the family who likes split pea soup. MIL proceeded to serve him split pea soup every breakfast, lunch, and dinner for two weeks.  (FIL later canceled his Costco membership.)

I am laughing so hard I just about snorted Coke out my nose.  ;D

He loved split pea soup...so what was the problem?  >:D

Did he still love split pea soup after week 3?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture