A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cheapskate stories

<< < (157/354) > >>

lemonfloorwax:

--- Quote from: Piratelvr1121 on April 30, 2013, 06:30:55 AM ---Heehee...first thing that came to mind when reading about the sugar was Marilla Cuthbert muttering "Twenty pounds of brown sugar..." after Anne whirls in and then back out with her puffed sleeves.

--- End quote ---

My daughter and I just finished that book! I must be a cheapskate because I picked it up for a dime at a local church's rummage sale. Nothing else that day, just the book. ;)

Elfmama:

--- Quote from: Asharah on May 08, 2013, 01:06:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: baglady on April 01, 2013, 05:36:40 PM ---On that show "Extreme Cheapskates" there was a family that didn't use TP at all. They used cloth rags that got washed and reused. Part of me says that the average cloth diaper contains a higher volume of ... well, you know, and people used those for eons before Pampers were invented, and some families still do, for ecological reasons, so what's the big deal?

But another, larger part of me just says, "Ewwww!"

--- End quote ---
My mother grew up with an outhouse. They used the Sears catalog.  ;D

--- End quote ---
Which is why so few Sears and Montgomery Ward's catalogs of that era are still in existence!

goodwillgal:

--- Quote from: gramma dishes on April 24, 2013, 04:35:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hillia on April 24, 2013, 03:19:48 PM ---My IL's, especially FIL, are very, very cheap.  It's actually kind of ruining DH's pleasure in buying our first home.  We have not told the ILs yet, and won't until we close and it's a done deal (Friday...yay!).  We paid a fair price for a property that we really like and are excited about moving in and making it our own.  However, DH is dreading the inevitable lecture from FIL about how he bought his property for $25k and it had more land with it and blah blah.  Well sure, but that was 25 years ago...the house was the manager's home on a now-abandoned oilfield...20 miles from a hazmat disposal site...in some of the ugliest, hottest, most barren territory you can imagine.

--- End quote ---

:) my grandparents - never knew the "real" price of my parents home - purchased in 1966- Grandma would have a fit if she knew that our house cost more than 12,000 (wonder what she would have thought about how much my house cost....
--- End quote ---

Asharah:

--- Quote from: Elfmama on May 15, 2013, 11:02:22 AM ---
--- Quote from: baglady on April 01, 2013, 05:36:40 PM ---On that show "Extreme Cheapskates" there was a family that didn't use TP at all. They used cloth rags that got washed and reused. Part of me says that the average cloth diaper contains a higher volume of ... well, you know, and people used those for eons before Pampers were invented, and some families still do, for ecological reasons, so what's the big deal?

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Which is why so few Sears and Montgomery Ward's catalogs of that era are still in existence!

--- End quote ---
I wonder what else they used. How long would one Sears Wish Book last with seven kids?

hermanne:

--- Quote from: Asharah on May 15, 2013, 01:22:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Elfmama on May 15, 2013, 11:02:22 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I wonder what else tbey used. How long would one Sears Wish Book last with seven kids?

--- End quote ---

Corn cobs. No joke.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version