A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Cheapskate stories

<< < (160/354) > >>

veronaz:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on June 29, 2013, 12:45:31 PM ---The mind..it boggles sometimes

--- End quote ---

This. 

Cami:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on May 17, 2013, 08:15:57 PM ---My FIL is a cheapskate. If we go out to eat, a mutually arranged dinner, he will never order an appetizer. However, if we order one he will help himself. I just think it is pretty PA for him to do that, especially as every time, we ask first if they (MIL & FIL) want to order an appetizer and most the time we pay or split the check.

--- End quote ---
People can only take advantage of you if you let them. I think I'd just tell him that unless he wants to pay for that mozzarella stick, to put his hand back.

I say this because I had a college roommate who played the, "Don't be petty. Be nice. After all, it's just one slice of pizza/one mozzarella stick" trick for months. Then one day I totaled up how much I'd spent "being nice" to her and had a meltdown. No more letting her trick me into feeling guilty/cheap. Next time I told her, "If it's no big deal, then you pay for it." Suddenly, she didn't want that food any more.

weeblewobble:

--- Quote from: Cami on June 29, 2013, 03:19:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on May 17, 2013, 08:15:57 PM ---My FIL is a cheapskate. If we go out to eat, a mutually arranged dinner, he will never order an appetizer. However, if we order one he will help himself. I just think it is pretty PA for him to do that, especially as every time, we ask first if they (MIL & FIL) want to order an appetizer and most the time we pay or split the check.

--- End quote ---
People can only take advantage of you if you let them. I think I'd just tell him that unless he wants to pay for that mozzarella stick, to put his hand back.

I say this because I had a college roommate who played the, "Don't be petty. Be nice. After all, it's just one slice of pizza/one mozzarella stick" trick for months. Then one day I totaled up how much I'd spent "being nice" to her and had a meltdown. No more letting her trick me into feeling guilty/cheap. Next time I told her, "If it's no big deal, then you pay for it." Suddenly, she didn't want that food any more.

--- End quote ---

In high school, we had small round tables in the cafeteria that could seat 8-10 students. There was a guy who sat near my group of friends (6 to 8 of us, depending on the day) at lunch.  And he always wanted "JUST a few fries" or "JUST a handful of chips" or "JUST a bite" of your grilled cheese.  And if you said no, he got highly offended as it was JUST a bite.  And weren't we his friends?  Friends SHARED what they had, he said, and if we didn't understand that, we would never have any real friends. We got sick of being made to feel greedy for wanting to eat our whole lunch, but couldn't figure out how to dislodge this tick without being mean.  Our group sort of disbanded and found other places to sit because we just got sick of dealing with it.

Thipu1:
A woman I'll call Thelma was a bit of a Cheapskate but this story is about Thelma's friend, Louise.

Thelma was trying to lose quite a bit of weight for her son's Wedding and was on a rather strict diet that included a lot of fresh fruit.  Everything had to be carefully weighed or measured.  For example, Thelma's lunch might consist of six crackers, a cup of cottage cheese, eighteen grapes and a few  orange sections. 

Louise was in the habit of sitting with Thelma while she ate lunch and idly nibbling on the crackers or the fruit.  Thelma was incensed because Louise could go to the museum cafe and get anything she wanted to eat. This was not an appetizer.  This was Thelma's entire lunch. 

Louise was equally incensed. A friend should be happy to share and, after all, it was only a few crackers and some fruit.           

veronaz:
Unless Louise was tired of having her hand attached to her wrist she would be well-advised to keep away from my food.   >:( >:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version