Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 221664 times)

o_gal

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #900 on: August 03, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Can all the talk about the McDonald's "budget" and how much people spend at the grocery store be moved to its own spin-off thread, please?

Amava

« Reply #901 on: August 04, 2013, 03:36:12 AM »

My mom reuses ziplock bags all the time. They are really not meant to be washed, and so often have a film of leftover food clinging to the inside.

I do that too, and (no disrespect to your mother) if they have bits of food still inside she's just not washing them thoroughly enough. I give them a good wash inside and out with dish soap, then hang them out to air dry. They're clean and can be used a couple dozen times before they tear and have to be thrown away. I do it less to be frugal (although that's a plus) and more in an effort to be green.

My great-aunt!  She did exactly the same thing, word for word!
And I have to agree those bags were very clean.  To an extreme.

CakeBeret

« Reply #902 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »

My mom reuses ziplock bags all the time. They are really not meant to be washed, and so often have a film of leftover food clinging to the inside.

I do that too, and (no disrespect to your mother) if they have bits of food still inside she's just not washing them thoroughly enough. I give them a good wash inside and out with dish soap, then hang them out to air dry. They're clean and can be used a couple dozen times before they tear and have to be thrown away. I do it less to be frugal (although that's a plus) and more in an effort to be green.

My mom does clean hers thoroughly and there are no bits of food, but there is a film that seems to never go away. So if she was marinading something in a chipotle marinade, for example, there would be a red, greasy film that smells vaguely of chipotle that no amount of washing can remove.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #903 on: August 04, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »

My mom does clean hers thoroughly and there are no bits of food, but there is a film that seems to never go away. So if she was marinading something in a chipotle marinade, for example, there would be a red, greasy film that smells vaguely of chipotle that no amount of washing can remove.

Those types of bags I won't reuse; anthying that had any kind of sauce, or meat or anything that could possibly harbor germs, I toss. Others, say if i open a loaf of bread not in a bag, and put it in the ziploc, when its gone, I'll reuse that for anotehr round.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #904 on: August 04, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Plastic, unlike glass or metal, is a permeable material, and can permanently absorb flavours, odours, etc.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #905 on: August 04, 2013, 10:15:56 AM »
I don't reuse ziplocks if they've had raw meat in them.  Sandwiches, vegetables, cookies, chips, sure, but I don't trust that I can get them clean enough to be safe after storing raw meat.  Maybe running them through the dishwasher would help, but unlike a plastic food container, a bag has little corners and crevices that I worry won't get clean enough.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #906 on: August 04, 2013, 10:54:53 AM »
If a ziplock bag has a residue in it we just dump it.  Ones that contained dry food we will wash, turn inside out and reuse.

Often, we use the bags for non-food items. When we travel, I like to package a set of earrings and a necklace together in one of these bags.  Getting ready for an event is so much easier when each set is in it's own bag in a larger jewelry bag. 

Shea

« Reply #907 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17:33 AM »

Those types of bags I won't reuse; anthying that had any kind of sauce, or meat or anything that could possibly harbor germs, I toss. Others, say if i open a loaf of bread not in a bag, and put it in the ziploc, when its gone, I'll reuse that for anotehr round.

Oh yes, me too. Nothing that's gone bad, no meat, nothing oily. I mostly use mine to carry veggies and fruit to work for lunch, sometimes things like crackers or bread. So they're not hard to clean.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Jocelyn

« Reply #908 on: August 04, 2013, 04:30:59 PM »

I remember catching a neighbor who stole my newspapers way back in the day when I lived in an apartment bldg where you had to walk down a long hallway.  I suspected it was the guy living across me.  (A friend said I should have put out an old newspaper with a nasty note inside) but I decided to try to catch him in the act.  I got up really early and just waited at the door, looking out the peephole.  Sure enough, at about 5:45am I heard the carrier toss my Sunday paper on the floor in the hall.  Then I saw the guy across the hall very quietly come out, look to the left and right, and bend down.  I yanked my door open, grabbed my paper, and he turned all shades of red.  ;)  Just like your ex, OP, he was a cheapskate AND also a thief.
My parents had a neighborhood thief. They lived across the street from the house that was 2 doors down from my parents; my parents were good friends with that neighbor. The good neighbor started rolling up old papers and putting them in his yard after picking up the recently delivered paper. That only prompted the thief to come down the street to my parents' yard. One snowy Sunday morning, Dad got up to see footprints coming from and returning to, the thief's house, and a big dent where the paper had been thrown into our yard. It had snowed substantially after the delivery, and Dad called the cops, asking them to approach the house from the north. When the cops got there, the footprints were still unobstructed by traffic, and the cops went to the thief's house and found him reading the Sunday paper. He claimed he'd gone out and bought it...but the snow evidence showed he hadn't had a car out that day.
The next summer, some plants disappeared off my parents' porch. They called the cops again. The same officer responded (he was a guy I'd gone to high school with) and he just went down to the thief's house and told them to pony up. Oh, no, these were THEIR plants- they'd just happened to buy plants of the exact same kind as had been stolen, what a coincidence. The cop pointed out that it was an even greater coincidence that the plants happened to be in the same kinds of hand-thrown pots as had been stolen. Pots that had left marks on our porch documenting their unusual shapes and sizes. Pots that happened to have the name of the potter (my sister) and the date on their bottoms. Yes, they tried to claim that they had found a potter with the same last name, who just had happened to make pots the same size and shape 25 years ago, and they had just now found those pots for sale. And our pots and plants just happened to go missing the very weekend they bought theirs. What a coincidence.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #909 on: August 04, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
^^ It certainly does strain credulity LOL
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Emmy

« Reply #910 on: August 04, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
The stories about people being cheap because they think the prices are too high reminds me of me. I wear lots of T-shirts because they're cheap, cheaper than nice shirts. I have money in the monthly budget that's supposed to go toward my clothes but I never spend it. When I do go clothes shopping I usually come home with nothing. $10 for a plain T-shirt? $40 for jeans? No thanks. I saw a pair of shorts online for $50 the other day, and I can't even fathom shopping at a place like Anthropologie, where a shirt can be close to $100.

I don't consider this to be cheap, but frugal. You aren't inconveniencing anyone or making anyone go without, or impacting anyone else because certain items cost more than you choose to pay for them. And unless you constantly badmouth people who are willing to pay that much for things, then you're fine.

Iím cheap about certain things as well; while I work in a store where a t-shirt can be $30 or more, pants over $100, and so on.  I get a nice discount, even on the sale stuff. And when I didnít work there, I waited for sales as well. Certain things, yes, I will pay more for since Iím a firm believer in ďyou get what you pay forĒ regarding some things.  But others, nope, I go as cheap as I can.

My friend's DH however, I posted about him upthread. he wont get a haircut unless he has a coupon, and its only $10 to begin with. She also told me he wears his undies until they are literally falling apart, in spite of the fact he buys the cheapest he can.

I'm the same way.  I refuse to pay $$$$ for clothes.  I am a regular at thrift and consignment shops and have shopped on e-bay because I can get great stuff for a fraction of the cost and the thrill of the hunt is fun for me too.  I am also too cheap to pay full price for clothes for my daughters who are young and will grow out of them in a few months (although I do splurge on shoes because they can be hard to fit).  Soon after DD1 was born, I realized yard sales were a great place for kids toys and will buy nearly all of them there. 

SheltieMom

« Reply #911 on: August 04, 2013, 06:53:35 PM »
The stories about people being cheap because they think the prices are too high reminds me of me. I wear lots of T-shirts because they're cheap, cheaper than nice shirts. I have money in the monthly budget that's supposed to go toward my clothes but I never spend it. When I do go clothes shopping I usually come home with nothing. $10 for a plain T-shirt? $40 for jeans? No thanks. I saw a pair of shorts online for $50 the other day, and I can't even fathom shopping at a place like Anthropologie, where a shirt can be close to $100.

I don't consider this to be cheap, but frugal. You aren't inconveniencing anyone or making anyone go without, or impacting anyone else because certain items cost more than you choose to pay for them. And unless you constantly badmouth people who are willing to pay that much for things, then you're fine.

Iím cheap about certain things as well; while I work in a store where a t-shirt can be $30 or more, pants over $100, and so on.  I get a nice discount, even on the sale stuff. And when I didnít work there, I waited for sales as well. Certain things, yes, I will pay more for since Iím a firm believer in ďyou get what you pay forĒ regarding some things.  But others, nope, I go as cheap as I can.

My friend's DH however, I posted about him upthread. he wont get a haircut unless he has a coupon, and its only $10 to begin with. She also told me he wears his undies until they are literally falling apart, in spite of the fact he buys the cheapest he can.

I'm the same way.  I refuse to pay $$$$ for clothes.  I am a regular at thrift and consignment shops and have shopped on e-bay because I can get great stuff for a fraction of the cost and the thrill of the hunt is fun for me too.  I am also too cheap to pay full price for clothes for my daughters who are young and will grow out of them in a few months (although I do splurge on shoes because they can be hard to fit).  Soon after DD1 was born, I realized yard sales were a great place for kids toys and will buy nearly all of them there.

I'm very much a bargain shopper for clothes, for myself, and my foster babies. (Although I've got way too much baby stuff-just ask DH!) My favorite place to shop for kids' stuff is Just Between Friends consignment sales. You might look and see if there's one in your area.
http://www.jbfsale.com/home.jsp
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

nuit93

« Reply #912 on: August 04, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »

I don't mind paying full price/bigger bucks for union-made or locally-made/fair trade clothing.  I won't pay big bucks for something I know was made in the same factory or sweatshop as the cheaper labels.  Besides, I can get a lot of stuff wholesale through work :)

snowflake

« Reply #913 on: August 04, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
There was once upon a time that I made a little more than $2000/mo in an expensive city.  I didn't require assistance but it ws tight.  My dad always used to rag on me.  "What can you possibly spend thosands of dollars a month on?"  You should save half of it.  My take home pay was 1600, my rent was 600.  (OK this was 15 years ago.)  He responded by telling me I only needed a couple hundred for food, utilities, and stuff like that.  Ironically, he was running up lots of cc debt at the time when he and my mom had over 6 figures in income.  I pointed this out and he told me that I didn't have a mortgage.  His mortgage was 5% of their income.

Yep, the "one way" cheapskatism.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #914 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:50 PM »

I don't mind paying full price/bigger bucks for union-made or locally-made/fair trade clothing.  I won't pay big bucks for something I know was made in the same factory or sweatshop as the cheaper labels.  Besides, I can get a lot of stuff wholesale through work :)
When DD1 went into high school, she wanted the same kind of designer jeans that some of the other kids had.  Jeans that cost $60, when my budget for new school clothes for two kids was $150.   She nagged and whined and was just generally so obnoxious that I finally snapped.  I went to the credit union and pulled out $150 in cash, handed her $75, and told her that this was all we could afford.  She could spend it however she wished.  Get the jeans, and no other new clothes, if that was what she wanted.

And you know what?  She looked at that money, more than she'd ever held in her hands before, and the state of her wardrobe, and stopped nagging about those jeans.  :o   She asked to be taken to the three different thrift shops in the area, and got several new-to-her skirts, blouses, and sweaters.  And yes, even designer jeans.  ;)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~