Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 132188 times)

alkira6

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2013, 01:03:09 PM »
Regarding the soap, my grandmother used to keep all of the leftover slivers of soap in a giant pickle jar and when it was 2/3 full, cover it with boiling water and put a lid on it. After about a week she had a jar of soap goo that we used to wash with. She just filled a pump bottle (recyled) and put it in teh shower.  When the soap goo was gone we went back to the bar soap. not cheap

- My dad used to make us claim to be younger to score freebies. As he was prematurely grey/balding he would also claim senior discouts at the same time.cheap and scammy

- A former friend would find anything, anything at all to complain about in a restaurant in order to try to get a comp/discount.  The thing that made her a former friend was when she ran a waitress ragged asking for random things one at a time, trying to make her forget something or mess up so that she could complain. When she didn't mess up she flat out lied to the manager.  I defended the waitress, paid the bill and left her there.  cheap/horrible human being

- Me- I keep all the soy sauce that we have ever gotten in a drawer in the kitchen. When we need soy sauce I will open enough packets to measure out what I need. cheap  In my defence, we only need it to cook with it 2-3 times a year and I always forget to actually buy it.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
Regarding the soap, my grandmother used to keep all of the leftover slivers of soap in a giant pickle jar and when it was 2/3 full, cover it with boiling water and put a lid on it. After about a week she had a jar of soap goo that we used to wash with. She just filled a pump bottle (recyled) and put it in teh shower.  When the soap goo was gone we went back to the bar soap. not cheap

- My dad used to make us claim to be younger to score freebies. As he was prematurely grey/balding he would also claim senior discouts at the same time.cheap and scammy

- A former friend would find anything, anything at all to complain about in a restaurant in order to try to get a comp/discount.  The thing that made her a former friend was when she ran a waitress ragged asking for random things one at a time, trying to make her forget something or mess up so that she could complain. When she didn't mess up she flat out lied to the manager.  I defended the waitress, paid the bill and left her there.  cheap/horrible human being

- Me- I keep all the soy sauce that we have ever gotten in a drawer in the kitchen. When we need soy sauce I will open enough packets to measure out what I need. cheap  In my defence, we only need it to cook with it 2-3 times a year and I always forget to actually buy it.

Unless you're taking packets from your local Chinese restaurant for the express purpose of replenishing your stock, I don't see anything wrong with this. Every single time I order takeout, they send a handfull, which is way more than we'll actually use on the food. I have no compunction about throwing them in a drawer for future use in recipes or to take along for picnics or packed lunches.
Utah

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »

Unless you're taking packets from your local Chinese restaurant for the express purpose of replenishing your stock, I don't see anything wrong with this. Every single time I order takeout, they send a handfull, which is way more than we'll actually use on the food. I have no compunction about throwing them in a drawer for future use in recipes or to take along for picnics or packed lunches.

Yeah, if they actually give it to you with your order, that's totally fine.

alkira6

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2013, 01:22:03 PM »

No, there is a sushi place about 1/2 mile from our house that we order from. They always give us way too much wasabi and soy (never enough pickled ginger. There can NEVER be too much pickled ginger  >:D )

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2013, 01:30:33 PM »
- Lying about my age so I could get freebies.  Worse one was lying about my species: in order to avoid paying my ticket on a ferry, she wrapped me in a blanket, told me to curl up on the seat and shut up.  She told the ticket taker I was a dog.

;D ;D ;D OK, you win.

I agree.

Sadly, I agree too.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
I used to have a friend who didn't like to pay the cost of making phone calls from her home phone (land line), so if she called you, she would immediately make an excuse like "The line is full of static on my end, can you try calling me back?" Then you would call her, and she'd be happy to talk for an hour, now that you were footing the cost of the call.

This reminds me of a TV commercial from back in the day when long distance charges were a Big Deal, and various companies competed for your business with various cheap rates, family plans, etc.  On one commercial, prospective grandparents are waiting by the phone for the big announcement.  Phone rings, Grandpa answers, listens for a minute and says, 'No, we won't accept charges'.  He sits back down and tells his wife, 'They had a boy'.  Cut to the new dad in a pay phone booth, telling the operator, 'Collect call from Mr. Wehadthebabyitsaboy'.

We  do keep packets of condiments given to us, keep them in the camper, and discard them when the new camping season beginns and we have a good start on the ones for this season.

I forgot the phone calls! That is probably the one cheapskate thing we did. Lucas was taking a summer course in college - a 2 hour trip, then stayed the week. He would make a person to person call, and I would know he had arrived safely and say the reciever of the call was not available. (Yeah, right - I'm sure the operators had not clue!)

(OT:  Once our 6 month old had an enormous fever that came on after he left, the doctor was at our house (yes!), and I accepted the call. Lucas was really scared! Baby had roseola, got a shot, Doc saw where we lived and we barely paid for the house call, told me I was doing well putting Baby on a pad in the living room and dabbing her with cool water; then Doc called me every day for 3 days asking how Baby was and if I was OK.)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
When I was in college, I would call home person-to-person "From Ms_Cellany to Murphy_Cellany."  Murphy was our dog. My parents would decline the call and call me back.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Shalamar

« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2013, 01:55:07 PM »
When my parents got a computer in 2007 or thereabouts, they didn't really understand how e-mail worked.  I asked if I could borrow it for a minute so that I could check a couple of things on the 'Net, and my Mum said "Okay, but don't send any e-mails to Australia."  (They live in Canada.)  I laughed, thinking she was joking, then realized she was dead serious.  I had to explain that you didn't get charged long-distance for sending e-mails halfway across the world, but I'm pretty sure she didn't believe me.

Barb3000

« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
OK, maybe this can get second prize. It concerns friends of friends, let's call them John and Mary.

They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her.

NyaChan

« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
OK, maybe this can get second prize. It concerns friends of friends, let's call them John and Mary.

They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her.

I don't know, I kind of feel for Mary here, though I would have requested the charge be removed rather than demanded a tea bag.  If she actually just had hot water and was charged for it (as opposed to using John's tea bag and hoping they would only charge for one), they should have told her ahead of time that they were going to charge her for a tea.

snowflake

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2013, 02:33:59 PM »

No, there is a sushi place about 1/2 mile from our house that we order from. They always give us way too much wasabi and soy (never enough pickled ginger. There can NEVER be too much pickled ginger  >:D )

I use far fewer condiments than I get.  I save the little packets for when I go camping.  It's very handy.

One thing I just thought of.  I keep seeing crafts on Pinterest for those paint chip samples.  I know you can get a stash when redecorating, but I keep seeing things like Valentines with the same paint sample used over and over again.  Um, so is the idea that you just go to Home Depot and grab a handful?  I keep thinking it's tacky every time I see them.

Barb3000

« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »

I don't know, I kind of feel for Mary here, though I would have requested the charge be removed rather than demanded a tea bag.  If she actually just had hot water and was charged for it (as opposed to using John's tea bag and hoping they would only charge for one), they should have told her ahead of time that they were going to charge her for a tea.

No, they did not share the tea bag - she just likes hot water.

NyaChan

« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »

I do too actually  :)  Since she didn't try to game them, I don't think she is cheap for being irritated by the charge.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »

I do too actually  :)  Since she didn't try to game them, I don't think she is cheap for being irritated by the charge.

I'm with Mary on this one too.

ETA: That actually reminds me of a story.  A coworker went to a restaurant who gives out free hot tea.  She asked for iced tea and they said there's a charge for that.  So she takes the hot tea, ask for a glass of ice, and made her own free iced tea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:46:51 PM by rose red »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
My MIL and several other people who, after acquiring a cell phone with nationwide calling, still tell people they are on a "long distance" call, so they shouldn't be disturbed.

Now, most people I know don't even change their numbers when they move, they keep the old area code and number, because it is the same charge to call local or out of the area.