News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 01:08:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 625530 times)

25wishes

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »
OK, maybe this can get second prize. It concerns friends of friends, let's call them John and Mary.

They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her.

NyaChan

« Reply #226 on: April 02, 2013, 01:32:30 PM »
OK, maybe this can get second prize. It concerns friends of friends, let's call them John and Mary.

They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her.

I don't know, I kind of feel for Mary here, though I would have requested the charge be removed rather than demanded a tea bag.  If she actually just had hot water and was charged for it (as opposed to using John's tea bag and hoping they would only charge for one), they should have told her ahead of time that they were going to charge her for a tea.

snowflake

« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2013, 01:33:59 PM »
- Me- I keep all the soy sauce that we have ever gotten in a drawer in the kitchen. When we need soy sauce I will open enough packets to measure out what I need. cheap  In my defence, we only need it to cook with it 2-3 times a year and I always forget to actually buy it.

Unless you're taking packets from your local Chinese restaurant for the express purpose of replenishing your stock, I don't see anything wrong with this. Every single time I order takeout, they send a handfull, which is way more than we'll actually use on the food. I have no compunction about throwing them in a drawer for future use in recipes or to take along for picnics or packed lunches.

No, there is a sushi place about 1/2 mile from our house that we order from. They always give us way too much wasabi and soy (never enough pickled ginger. There can NEVER be too much pickled ginger  >:D )

I use far fewer condiments than I get.  I save the little packets for when I go camping.  It's very handy.

One thing I just thought of.  I keep seeing crafts on Pinterest for those paint chip samples.  I know you can get a stash when redecorating, but I keep seeing things like Valentines with the same paint sample used over and over again.  Um, so is the idea that you just go to Home Depot and grab a handful?  I keep thinking it's tacky every time I see them.

25wishes

« Reply #228 on: April 02, 2013, 01:35:10 PM »

I don't know, I kind of feel for Mary here, though I would have requested the charge be removed rather than demanded a tea bag.  If she actually just had hot water and was charged for it (as opposed to using John's tea bag and hoping they would only charge for one), they should have told her ahead of time that they were going to charge her for a tea.

No, they did not share the tea bag - she just likes hot water.

NyaChan

« Reply #229 on: April 02, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »

I do too actually  :)  Since she didn't try to game them, I don't think she is cheap for being irritated by the charge.

rose red

« Reply #230 on: April 02, 2013, 01:43:19 PM »

I do too actually  :)  Since she didn't try to game them, I don't think she is cheap for being irritated by the charge.

I'm with Mary on this one too.

ETA: That actually reminds me of a story.  A coworker went to a restaurant who gives out free hot tea.  She asked for iced tea and they said there's a charge for that.  So she takes the hot tea, ask for a glass of ice, and made her own free iced tea.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:46:51 PM by rose red »

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #231 on: April 02, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
My MIL and several other people who, after acquiring a cell phone with nationwide calling, still tell people they are on a "long distance" call, so they shouldn't be disturbed.

Now, most people I know don't even change their numbers when they move, they keep the old area code and number, because it is the same charge to call local or out of the area.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

magicdomino

« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
One thing I just thought of.  I keep seeing crafts on Pinterest for those paint chip samples.  I know you can get a stash when redecorating, but I keep seeing things like Valentines with the same paint sample used over and over again.  Um, so is the idea that you just go to Home Depot and grab a handful?  I keep thinking it's tacky every time I see them.

I'd agree.  It's possible that one might luck out and get a bunch of discontinued samples; no problem with that. 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #233 on: April 02, 2013, 02:12:09 PM »
I had an uncle who was slightly eccentric and very cheap.  Some I remember off hand (all of these 20+ years ago):

1.  Had an old fishing boat but refused to take it to the marina for gas as it was more expensive than a typical gas station (true, but the operating costs are higher).  So he some how found a gas tank for a small plane and mounted it on an old snow mobile trailer.  He took it to a gas station to fill up and then drove that moving fire bomb down the road to the family cottage.  He would then use a garden house and gravity to run the gas from the tank on the bank down to the boat in the water.  What a smell - gas fumes every where. 

2.  He got it in his head one day to fly (he was a small plane pilot and owned a small plane) with one of my cousins to Mackinac Island (you can only get there by boat or plane).  They land and spend the day touring the town and the Island.  When they got back to the plane they were greeted by someone who worked there.  He informed my Uncle that there was a cost to landing and taking off (no problem, my Uncle expected that).  It cost $20/engine and since my Uncle had 2 props, the fee was $40.  My Uncle informed him that he can land and take off with just one engine so only gave the man $20 and proceeded to ignore him as they got into the plane and took off - with one engine.

3.  My (very rich) Uncle only bought used cars.  He kept an ancient Suburban to tow the fishing boat mentioned in #1.  The floor was rusted so much you could see the road beneath the passenger's seat.  He was once towing the boat from the family cottage to his old barn for storage when the hitch came lose (old, rusted hitch).  For a while the boat was riding side-by-side with the Suburban down the road.  It ended in a ditch (thankfully a seldom traveled country road).  Oh the pains he went through to get that boat back out.

4.  He became interested in building a single seat plane.  (Thank goodness that it was single seat because there was no way my mother would have let my father (Uncle's brother) fly with him as she knew he always cut too many corners.)  He died before the plane was finished.  He was building it in his living room with the idea that once it was ready for wings, he'd remove the picture window and push it out of the house that way.

5.  He also had an ancient fishing boat in Florida.  That boat had a double hull.  Well, he knew he had developed a hole in the outside hull but decided not to worry about it because there was the second hull.  He went out fishing with my Father and BIL (who doesn't swim).  They thankfully made it to shore before the boat sank.

Luci

« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2013, 02:42:46 PM »
I must admit that we get a chuckle when someone with a $200K motorhome asks us about the gas prices in our state to decide whether to go or not. If you can't use the thing, downsize or quit traveling. There just seems to be an unbalance between the initial outlay and being able to support it.

We have a tiny unit, get 10 to 17 mpg (mountains, you know) and frankly, gas prices are the least of our worries. We took that all into account, plus insurance and motel prices vs. gas + campgrounds and our personal comfort, when we made the decision to by our little baby. I would like to think people who can afford the better unit are smarter than us.

Coralreef

« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2013, 02:44:45 PM »
Scubagirl, that uncle crossed the line from cheapskate to criminally insane!  Towing fuel? Unsafe hitch? Leaky boat? Rusted through car?  I'm not a religious person, but there were numerous dieties watching over that man if no one was killed or maimed!
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #236 on: April 02, 2013, 03:06:16 PM »
Scubagirl, that uncle crossed the line from cheapskate to criminally insane!  Towing fuel? Unsafe hitch? Leaky boat? Rusted through car?  I'm not a religious person, but there were numerous dieties watching over that man if no one was killed or maimed!

I won't argue with you at all.  But somehow the entire family still has a soft spot for him in our hearts and "Uncle Tom" stories are often repeated.

I remembered another one.  This one got my mom madder than she had ever been at my Uncle:  Uncle Tom had 2 plane jacks that he sold to a buyer in Connecticut (he lived in Michigan).  He had them mounted to a small, old snow mobile trailer (that was not designed for the weight) and hired 2 of my brothers to drive them to the buyer.  The weight of the jacks slowly crushed the trailer springs and some where in Ohio it started to ride on the tires and eventually (inevitably) caused flat tires.  Once they got the tires replaced they found some wood blocks to jam up under the trailer where the springs had been so the tires would be safe.  Well, every so often one of these blocks would slip out so they'd have to pull over and fix it.  They were driving straight through and had little sleep and my one brother just started losing it.   Besides the blocks popping out, the weight of the trailer would actually control the car at times as opposed to the other way around.  In hindsight they know now they should have pulled off the road and refused to drive further but they were young, it was pre-cell phone days and they didn't have money for hotels.  So they trudged on with a very unsafe load, pulling over almost hourly to fix it, resting during the day so they could drive at night with less traffic and fewer police.  My other brother is rather pig headed and he got himself convinced he had to finish the trip.  Eventually they made it and eventually they made it home but when our mother heard about how unsafe it was and my brothers' lives were actually at risk, she had a word or two with my Uncle.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #237 on: April 02, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
ETA: That actually reminds me of a story.  A coworker went to a restaurant who gives out free hot tea.  She asked for iced tea and they said there's a charge for that.  So she takes the hot tea, ask for a glass of ice, and made her own free iced tea.

I routinely do something similar.  A particular restaurant has a hot tea and an iced tea option, using different teas for each.  I dislike their iced tea, so I order their hot tea and a glass of ice.  Charge is the same for iced or hot.

Virg

« Reply #238 on: April 02, 2013, 03:23:38 PM »
Barb3000 wrote:

"They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her."

Well, she paid for tea and didn't get a tea bag, so I don't think this is cheapskate behavior.  I understand this sort of "it's the principle of the thing" reaction.

Virg

squeakers

« Reply #239 on: April 02, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »
I recently stayed in a hotel that promptly went on my "Didn't care for, won't revisit" list. (Didn't care for the level of cleanliness, food and service lacking etc.)

One quirk I did notice was that the hotel did offer complimentary shampoo and soap - but in large dispensers fastened to the wall of the shower. Perfectly hygienic and all, and no doubt cheaper than providing individually wrapped items, but I did find it a bit off putting in a stingy sort of way.
But I may be biased because by this time I was already less than impressed with the place.

I loved the dispenser at the last hotel we stayed at so much that I bought one for our bathroom.  Those teeny bottles of shampoo barely get my waist length hair washed so being able to squirt as much as I needed was awesome.  And when we travel as a family the 2-4 tiny bottles are not enough for a family of 5 (we get 2 king/queen beds and either a suite with a couch or book a roll-away bed.  Then the boys fight over who gets to sleep on the couch/roll-away.) So we end up breaking out either multiple teeny bottles from our stash (DH travels a lot for work) or we go buy a big bottle that hopefully won't get spilled on the way home.  BTDT and at least it was all dirty clothes that got extra clean when washed.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin