Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 207254 times)

reflection5

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #270 on: April 02, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »
NyaChan, of course!!!  The manipulation did not escape me.  (shaking my head)

weeblewobble

« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:41 PM »
My dad haggles at garage sales too, but he haggles UP.   As in:  "you're only asking $1 for that?   C'mon, it's worth at least $5, and I refuse to pay a penny less!"   People think he's quite mad.   :)

That's kind of adorable.

Paper Roses

« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
I will admit to keeping my house pretty cool in the winter (well, I mean, it's pretty cool all the time, but in a different way), but it's not just because I'm cheap - it's also because I find that between showers, appliances, (cooking and what not) and things in general that tend to generate heat, if the thermostat is set at a "normal" temperature, it actually gets too warm.  Plus, I like to snuggle up with blankets to watch TV, and that's more comfy when the air is cool.

But - that said, I don't freeze my family or friends just to save money!
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #273 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
Late Dh and I attended an RV show (we were considering upgrading from a tent-trailer to a compact "real" trailer) and found a seminar called "RVing on a Shoestring".  Out of interest, we attended.

We found that the couple's main source of funding was in researching/attending Farmer's Markets at just about every destination they were planning on.  She did relishes/jams, and he did wood carvings.  Fair enough - but isn't the whole point of Farmer's Markets that the offerings are local?  I wondered how they got away with it, but who knows, maybe the town was willing to rent a table to just about anybody.

Plus, they had a tale about when their RV broke down completely.  Did they take their lumps and get it towed back to hometown? (We had to do that once - luckily we had insurance).  No - she called Daddy!  Honestly, these people seemed to be in their late 50s/early 60s, so let's assume that Daddy was probably around 85.  And they seemed to think that this was perfectly okay - let old Daddy bail you out and then get prepared for next summer's "free" RV adventure.

Again, I didn't know these people personally, but I can imagine how many elderly parents would react to a message of "we're stranded, we need you!"

CakeEater

« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:59 AM »
Loving this thread! A lot of these stories sound so familiar.

And I like the idea of bringing a tall child's birth certificate to places like buffets and amusement parks. I was a tall child and my parents sometimes got the stinkeye from staff who thought we were trying to get in on the cheep. DD is 6 years old but looks closer to 8.

I always got around that problem with my kids by pointing at the child in question and asking, "How old are you?"

Except I'm sure there are plenty of parents who prep their kids to lie as well.

Late Dh and I attended an RV show (we were considering upgrading from a tent-trailer to a compact "real" trailer) and found a seminar called "RVing on a Shoestring".  Out of interest, we attended.

We found that the couple's main source of funding was in researching/attending Farmer's Markets at just about every destination they were planning on.  She did relishes/jams, and he did wood carvings.  Fair enough - but isn't the whole point of Farmer's Markets that the offerings are local?  I wondered how they got away with it, but who knows, maybe the town was willing to rent a table to just about anybody.

Plus, they had a tale about when their RV broke down completely.  Did they take their lumps and get it towed back to hometown? (We had to do that once - luckily we had insurance).  No - she called Daddy!  Honestly, these people seemed to be in their late 50s/early 60s, so let's assume that Daddy was probably around 85.  And they seemed to think that this was perfectly okay - let old Daddy bail you out and then get prepared for next summer's "free" RV adventure.

Again, I didn't know these people personally, but I can imagine how many elderly parents would react to a message of "we're stranded, we need you!"

There was an article in the Reader's Digest here a few years ago about living spend-free, that among all sorts of sensible money-saving tips, advocated:

-using your neighbours' unsecured wifi
-taking and reading your neighbours' newspapers early, then returning them to their footpaths before they wake up.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:42:50 AM by CakeEater »

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #275 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:03 AM »
I wonder whether the Dresser Queen wrote that one.

Iris

« Reply #276 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:18 AM »

There was an article in the Reader's Digest here a few years ago about living spend-free, that among all sorts of sensible money-saving tips, advocated:

-taking and reading your neighbours newspapers early, then returning them to their footpaths before they wake up.

Did they also suggest saving on gas by taking your neighbour's car if it was unlocked? I'm sure they think that's fine aware long as you bring it back before neighbour wants it ::)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

CakeEater

« Reply #277 on: April 03, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »

-taking and reading your neighbours newspapers early, then returning them to their footpaths before they wake up.

Did they also suggest saving on gas by taking your neighbour's car if it was unlocked? I'm sure they think that's fine aware long as you bring it back before neighbour wants it ::)

I believe that in the next edition, they had a stack of letters chastising the author of the article for suggesting stealing, so faith in humanity restored.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #278 on: April 03, 2013, 04:49:47 AM »
A woman was put into the hospital by her abusive boyfriend.

He came to visit her at the hospital.  He brought her flowers.  She noticed that there was dirt on the stems and asked him about it.  He had stopped at the local cemetery to gather flowers that had been left on graves.

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #279 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:22 AM »
Oh zyrs that's HORRIBLE.

I thought the story about the neighbours coming to my mothers' door after I'd been to visit and had secured her wi-fi (she was hitting her download limit suspiciously fast for a person who only used the internet for e-mail and Facebook) and demanded the password.

They were most put out when she refused - "But we need the internet!"
"So get your own!"
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #280 on: April 03, 2013, 06:12:44 AM »
Oh zyrs that's HORRIBLE.

I thought the story about the neighbours coming to my mothers' door after I'd been to visit and had secured her wi-fi (she was hitting her download limit suspiciously fast for a person who only used the internet for e-mail and Facebook) and demanded the password.

They were most put out when she refused - "But we need the internet!"
"So get your own!"
Leo Laporte, The Tech Guy, has had people call into his show because their wifi quit working. Turned out they had been using neighbor's unsecured wifi. Some of them were just ignorant. They thought wifi was just there for everyone to use and didn't realize they were using their neighbor's wifi. (I ran into a colony of these people in a tech class for the district).

One famously demanded that Leo tell her how to hack back into the neighbor's wifi. Leo told her off.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

weeblewobble

« Reply #281 on: April 03, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
A member of my book club hosted our last meeting and a few of us used her wifi to look something up on our tablets/e-readers (with her permission.)  We noticed she had re-titled her server to something a little weird.  I asked her why and she said they had a problem with male neighbors coming over to "borrow a cup of wifi" and got quite ugly when friend refused to hand over her password.  She suspects that as a single woman living alone, they assumed that she would be too intimidated to say no to several big guys showing up to her door asking for her password. 

They were wrong.  She said no and changed the name of her server to "FBI Surveillance Van."  No one ever asks about it, she said.

weeblewobble

« Reply #282 on: April 03, 2013, 07:52:39 AM »
A woman was put into the hospital by her abusive boyfriend.

He came to visit her at the hospital.  He brought her flowers.  She noticed that there was dirt on the stems and asked him about it.  He had stopped at the local cemetery to gather flowers that had been left on graves.

Please tell me that she didn't go back to him. 

DH and I have a standing bet when we go to funerals re: whether we will see someone break off of the funeral party we're with and take flowers from the fresh grave to another grave in the cemetery.  They don't want to spend the money on flowers, but they want to "honor" someone they know in the cemetery.

It's happened more than you would think.  (We're weird.  It helps us cope.)

Coralreef

« Reply #283 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
@ Coralreef
Snipping leaves or branches from plants instead of buying them.  She would replant/soak them so they would grow roots.

I will overlook this one because I do it all the time!!   :D  Got most of my hanging plants this way.  But, I snip, root, and replant my own (I don't snip/pinch other people's plants.  My grandma used to do that).

She got the snippings from store plants, not from friends or family or even outside.  I have no problems with snippings, it's just that you don't take things from stores without paying.  Even a leaf. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:09:01 AM by Coralreef »

[/right

Coralreef

« Reply #284 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:46 AM »
I will admit to keeping my house pretty cool in the winter (well, I mean, it's pretty cool all the time, but in a different way), but it's not just because I'm cheap - it's also because I find that between showers, appliances, (cooking and what not) and things in general that tend to generate heat, if the thermostat is set at a "normal" temperature, it actually gets too warm.  Plus, I like to snuggle up with blankets to watch TV, and that's more comfy when the air is cool.

But - that said, I don't freeze my family or friends just to save money!

I too keep my house cool, my bedroom is at 16 C year round, the rest of the house around 18 C.  Friends find it freezing, but darn, menopause is making me sweat just looking at a picture of a sunny field in summer.  I rise the thermostat when I have guests and I have an assortment of afghans to share.

[/right