Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 207357 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #285 on: April 03, 2013, 09:07:11 AM »
My Dad has planted and maintains a memorial garden for my mother at his local hospital.  He'd planted a miniature rose in the garden.  Came back a couple of days later to find it gone.

'Here, honey, I brought you these roses.  Never mind the dirt...'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #286 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
My father used the cemetery as the main source of our flower garden but he never took anything from graves.  He'd take bulbs from the trash heap and plant those.

I don't consider this being cheap but, because we never really knew what colors  were going to come up, our garden was always a surprise. 

25wishes

« Reply #287 on: April 03, 2013, 09:29:19 AM »
My father used the cemetery as the main source of our flower garden but he never took anything from graves.  He'd take bulbs from the trash heap and plant those.

I don't consider this being cheap but, because we never really knew what colors  were going to come up, our garden was always a surprise.

I have heard of people stealing stuffed animals off a child's grave. How cheap is that...

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #288 on: April 03, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »

I think that falls squarely under 'thrifty' - like my grandmother, who whenever she sees someone digging out a flower garden asks if they are taking out anything that's alive, so she can 'rescue' it. She's got an amazing variety of stuff growing in her back yard, much of it rescued.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #289 on: April 03, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »
Oh zyrs that's HORRIBLE.

I thought the story about the neighbours coming to my mothers' door after I'd been to visit and had secured her wi-fi (she was hitting her download limit suspiciously fast for a person who only used the internet for e-mail and Facebook) and demanded the password.

They were most put out when she refused - "But we need the internet!"
"So get your own!"
Leo Laporte, The Tech Guy, has had people call into his show because their wifi quit working. Turned out they had been using neighbor's unsecured wifi. Some of them were just ignorant. They thought wifi was just there for everyone to use and didn't realize they were using their neighbor's wifi. (I ran into a colony of these people in a tech class for the district).

One famously demanded that Leo tell her how to hack back into the neighbor's wifi. Leo told her off.

There is a town near where I live that has wi-fi access for the whole town. They were the first in the world to offer that!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #290 on: April 03, 2013, 09:42:11 AM »
A member of my book club hosted our last meeting and a few of us used her wifi to look something up on our tablets/e-readers (with her permission.)  We noticed she had re-titled her server to something a little weird.  I asked her why and she said they had a problem with male neighbors coming over to "borrow a cup of wifi" and got quite ugly when friend refused to hand over her password.  She suspects that as a single woman living alone, they assumed that she would be too intimidated to say no to several big guys showing up to her door asking for her password. 

They were wrong.  She said no and changed the name of her server to "FBI Surveillance Van."  No one ever asks about it, she said.

So awesome!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #291 on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »
A woman was put into the hospital by her abusive boyfriend.

He came to visit her at the hospital.  He brought her flowers.  She noticed that there was dirt on the stems and asked him about it.  He had stopped at the local cemetery to gather flowers that had been left on graves.
not cheapskate related but ..... *that's* what bothered her?

OK, back to cheapskate stories...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

alkira6

« Reply #292 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
I freely admit to taking any plant/cutting/bulb that is freely given.  I had quite a few amaryllis plants at one point because they were given out as gifts at school at Christmas as blooming plants and people would throw them away when the blooms died.  Most didn't care if I took them even though I tried to tell them how to replant them so they'd grow.

My hostas, 3 rose varieties, my peonies, tiger lilies, some variety of elephant ear type plant, and an Indian hawthorn bush were given to me by people thinning their plants.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #293 on: April 03, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
A member of my book club hosted our last meeting and a few of us used her Wi-Fi to look something up on our tablets/e-readers (with her permission.)  We noticed she had re-titled her server to something a little weird.  I asked her why and she said they had a problem with male neighbors coming over to "borrow a cup of Wi-Fi" and got quite ugly when friend refused to hand over her password.  She suspects that as a single woman living alone, they assumed that she would be too intimidated to say no to several big guys showing up to her door asking for her password. 

They were wrong.  She said no and changed the name of her server to "FBI Surveillance Van."  No one ever asks about it, she said.

Snerk.....

Last month our modem quietly started to go drop the signal, constantly.  The router worked, but was having trouble since there was no stable signal from the modem.

Took the modem back to Comcast and got a new modem (same lease fee) with built in wireless - only ONE piece of equipment to troubleshoot if the Wi-Fi drops out!

The only issue was that no one had done a factory image recovery on it from the time someone turned it in before it was handed out to me......so I had someone else's network name, unknown passwords, and their MAC strings for their computers.....I did a factory image reset very quickly!

FBI Surveillance Van does sound like an interesting idea for a name, though.......Evil & Snarky are wondering about one of the other alphabet agencies.  Maybe IRS Mobile Operations?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nuit93

« Reply #294 on: April 03, 2013, 11:47:13 AM »
A member of my book club hosted our last meeting and a few of us used her Wi-Fi to look something up on our tablets/e-readers (with her permission.)  We noticed she had re-titled her server to something a little weird.  I asked her why and she said they had a problem with male neighbors coming over to "borrow a cup of Wi-Fi" and got quite ugly when friend refused to hand over her password.  She suspects that as a single woman living alone, they assumed that she would be too intimidated to say no to several big guys showing up to her door asking for her password. 

Snerk.....

Last month our modem quietly started to go drop the signal, constantly.  The router worked, but was having trouble since there was no stable signal from the modem.

Took the modem back to Comcast and got a new modem (same lease fee) with built in wireless - only ONE piece of equipment to troubleshoot if the Wi-Fi drops out!

The only issue was that no one had done a factory image recovery on it from the time someone turned it in before it was handed out to me......so I had someone else's network name, unknown passwords, and their MAC strings for their computers.....I did a factory image reset very quickly!

FBI Surveillance Van does sound like an interesting idea for a name, though.......Evil & Snarky are wondering about one of the other alphabet agencies.  Maybe IRS Mobile Operations?

I_can_hear_you_playing_scrabble is a fairly common I've seen in apartment buildings.

Coralreef

« Reply #295 on: April 03, 2013, 11:59:58 AM »
A woman was put into the hospital by her abusive boyfriend.

He came to visit her at the hospital.  He brought her flowers.  She noticed that there was dirt on the stems and asked him about it.  He had stopped at the local cemetery to gather flowers that had been left on graves.
not cheapskate related but ..... *that's* what bothered her?

OK, back to cheapskate stories...

On the other hand, if she keeps going back to the jerk, the cemetery may be the next place she gets flowers.

Corrected to point out that I do know how to spell (most of the time).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:56:56 PM by Coralreef »

[/right

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #296 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:24 PM »
<threadjack> I once had a neighbor knock on my door and ask if they could borrow my wifi for a week while they waited for their ISP to set up their new service. She was very polite, and brought over her laptop so I could enter the password, and I expect that she'd have simply said OK and asked someone else if I had said no. I don't know if it actually worked all that well for her, since the signal didn't carry far outside my apartment, but that's OK.

And, so everyone can get their giggles without totally derailing the thread, here's a page of funny wifi names... http://wifilol.com/ </threadjack>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #297 on: April 03, 2013, 02:10:27 PM »
There was someone who used to post her who had lost a child. She said she had to start marking things on the grave with indelible ink, "THIS ITEM WAS STOLEN FROM A CHILD'S GRAVE," to keep everything from disappearing.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Emmy

« Reply #298 on: April 03, 2013, 03:46:44 PM »
Shortly after graduating college, I ran into a friend of a friend who lived in the same complex and we started hanging out.  We both were still members of the college gym and decided to go together with me driving.  On the way home, he asked me to pull into the bank, and then make two more stops and when I protested, he said "it will just take a minute".  He never mentioned running errands ahead of time.  I later told our mutual friend about it and he said that "Joe" tends to do this because he doesn't want to pay for gas to run his own errands.  I took my own car to the gym from that day forward.  Joe got to know some of my group of friends and would often announce that he had no money and needed to borrow some when we got to our destination instead of mentioning he needed to stop at the bank to get some cash.  My friends and I always insisted on getting paid back and making sure Joe either had cash or hit a MAC before getting to the destination.  Joe's way of thinking seemed to be that if he claimed to be broke when we got to the destination, it would be inconvenient for him to get the money so somebody would spot him (and later forget about it).  Fortunately Joe realized that we being a cheapskate wasn't going to fly, so he started having money on hand.

DH's uncle was traveling in a city about 45 minutes away from us and asked him to pick us up at the train station and drop him off at the hotel in the city.  Parking, gas, and tolls (not to mention the time factor of getting around in the city at rush hour) would have cost us more than it would it would have for DH's uncle to pay for a cab.  DH told him that wouldn't be possible and mentioned he could catch a cab to the hotel.

It is annoying when cheapskates are willing to have you spend time, money, or aggravation to save themselves money.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being thrifty and come from a thrifty family, but wouldn't expect anybody else to be inconvenienced by my choices.

goodwillgal

« Reply #299 on: April 03, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
2 stories about my mom- Mom has NEVER liked her SIL - always complained about how "cheap" she was -and admitingly aunt did some overly cheap things (like showing up with a bag of baking potato's at a family party and using the hostesses milk butter etc to make mashed potatoes at a party (and no, she didn't live a far distance from the party that prepping it at home was not possible )
 anyway mom complained that aunt left at moms house a coupon for a thrift store and told me "SIL shouldn't shop at stores "like that" there for people that "need them" I replied to mom - people like SIL - keep me in a job - and my outfit came from a thrift store  Mom was speechless for a minute....
other story - BG-  Mom worked at a company cafeteria and ALWAYS complained about "never seeing some people except when the company had there free Christmas dinner or their employee appreciation day dinner . but would complain about people coming down and stealing from the condiment bar individual packets of things or stealing lemon to make lemonade in their  offices . story - We were at Fuddruckers (a gourmet hamburger place known for its condiment bar ) Mom asked me what I was ordering -I said a small hamburger and a salad (instead of Fries) Mom said - don't' get a salad - just get stuff off the works bar to make your own salad - you just wont have dressing for it - I was flabbergasted