Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 206728 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
I once read that the difference between cheapness and thrift is:  does your behaviour cause physical discomfort for yourself or others?    If so, you're cheap.   In that case, my mum is cheap.   One winter the cost of heating her house went up by a few dollars per month, so - despite the fact that she and Dad could easily afford it - she set the thermostat to 16 Celsius.   I was freezing during my visit and begged her to turn it up; she refused.  "Just put on another sweater!"   "I'M ALREADY WEARING TWO!"

Our house was like that, growing up - we didn't have any heating at all.  In the mornings you could tell when someone had sprayed their deodorant on in the freezing cold bathroom - you'd hear a shriek!

Our house doesn't have "heat" We have a couple space heaters but my room doesn't have one.

I sleep under three blankets, with three chihuahuas. They're pretty effective "space heaters"

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
The first Christmas after MIL died FIL came for a visit.  DS1 went into the kitchen and asked what are all these paper things on the counter?  FIL washed all the paper plates from a litte gathering the night before.  I would have chalked it up to just wing helpful, but it was a constant disagreement about washing disposable cups, forks, etc.  I figure its my once a year decadence. 

People who steal toilet paper is a big complaint in libraries.  It comes up a lot on listservs. We put up a nice holder for plastic bags by the baby changing table.  It lasted a day.  Now we have an empty tissue box screwed onto the wall.  It looks strange, but no one steals it.

I am cheap in certain areas.  It equalizes out my splurges.  I make my own dish washing and laundry detergents, body scrubs, shave cream, etc.  I still cut up old tshirts for rags.  All my last bits of yarn are saved for random projects.  Many times people think we're not home because there is only 1 light on. 

Add me to the list of young looking kids passed as off as younger for discounts at "smorgasbord" (the height of good eating in S. California when I was young *** years ago), movies, theme parks.

After I weave ends on a project, if ther "cut off" yarn is over five inches or so, i tie it into a ball of yarn I've been creating out of my ends.

I've used my "pioneer ball" (because my dad refers to all money saving things as my "hearty Pioneer spirit" for everything from potholders to dishcloths(the cotton) and a purse(the acrylic)

I think its pretty... its like getting a free ball of yarn every few months!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »
Okay, I admit that I save the packets of ketchup/hot sauce/soy sauce because they're convenient to take in my lunch to work, but no way would I spend the time squeezing every packet into a bottle.  I also don't cram handfuls into my pockets whenever I go to Chinese food places/McDonalds/Taco Bell, whatever.  I keep any extras that are in the bag, toss them into a container I keep in the fridge, and grab as needed to go with lunches.

Even if I could save myself the cost of an occasional bottle of ketchup or soy sauce or whatever, it's just not worth the time and effort.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2013, 08:40:21 PM »
[raising hand]

I squeeze the packets into the bottle.  I also combine the hot sauce and the soy sauce and julienne fresh ginger to put into it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
I've never thought the soy sauce that comes from the little packets was any good.  I don't even use it when I'm eating the Chinese food from that restaurant; I pull out my bottle of Kikkoman!  :)  We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2013, 08:56:46 PM »
...  We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

My husband does the same with Arby's "horsey sauce".  We always ask for lots -- and he uses up as many as they'll give him.

kckgirl

« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

I put one packet on the top, and another on the bottom. It oozes out, but it's oh, so yummy. You just have to use a lot of napkins. :)
Maryland

Curious Cat

« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
I wonder whether the Dresser Queen wrote that one.

What is a dresser queen?

MNdragonlady

« Reply #308 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

What is a dresser queen?

She was a recurring character in a poster's life from a few years ago.

For your reading pleasure: a complete list of the stories (someone else put it together; I just searched and found it for you).

Curious Cat

« Reply #309 on: April 03, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »

What is a dresser queen?

For your reading pleasure: a complete list of the stories (someone else put it together; I just searched and found it for you).

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

MNdragonlady

« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »

What is a dresser queen?

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

Glad to help. Just be sure you've set aside a good chunk of time. The stories are pretty amazing, in a can't-stop-watching-the-train-wreck sort of way. :)

singingserpent

• I like pie.
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
A few years ago IHOP had a special where kids got a free pancake. We went and DD got the free pancake (I think it had a smiley face made out of whipped cream), and DH and I got an entree each. So of course this is a way to get families into the restaurant, understandable gimmick.

While we were there a family of parents and 4 kids came in. The kids got the free pancakes, no drink and the adults got nothing. They left after the kids finished eating and didn't leave a tip for their waitress. While they technically didn't do anything wrong, they should have left something for the waitress.

reflection5

« Reply #312 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »
While they technically didn't do anything wrong, they should have left something for the waitress.
They also could have gotten the kids a small juice or milk to go with the free pancake.

katycoo

« Reply #313 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
When a ship reaches port officials from Customs and Immigration come aboard.  Often, the clearance is done in a lounge and the visitors are treated to a nice spread of sandwiches and pastries. It never hurts to be nice to people who have to clear you.

Once the ship is cleared,  the lounge is used as a place for passengers to wait until their debarkation group is called.  On one voyage, the room was opened to passengers before the left over food was removed.  Everybody else just ignored it or nibbled on a danish,but a pair of ladies decided that they would take home the two dozen or so sandwiches that were left. 

We were in the same debarkation group so we saw them get caught and their booty confiscated. 

Customs can be suprising.

Last year I travelled to the USA.  We were entering via Hawaii.  We took ham sandwiches on board the flight from Oz to Hawaii as its a decent length and we weren't sure how much food would be provided. 
Coming into Australian customs, there are large waste bins for disposal of foods which you know you cannot bring into the country.  We assumed there would be somewhere to throw any uneaten sandwiches before going trough customs in Hawaii - we were wrong.

So we get to the desk, and I declare the sandwiches saying "We know we can't have them, we just expectd to be able to throw them away somewhere."  Nope.  Fresh deli ham and salad.  Approved for entry.

Bluenomi

« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
I will admit to keeping my house pretty cool in the winter (well, I mean, it's pretty cool all the time, but in a different way), but it's not just because I'm cheap - it's also because I find that between showers, appliances, (cooking and what not) and things in general that tend to generate heat, if the thermostat is set at a "normal" temperature, it actually gets too warm.  Plus, I like to snuggle up with blankets to watch TV, and that's more comfy when the air is cool.

But - that said, I don't freeze my family or friends just to save money!

I too keep my house cool, my bedroom is at 16 C year round, the rest of the house around 18 C.  Friends find it freezing, but darn, menopause is making me sweat just looking at a picture of a sunny field in summer.  I rise the thermostat when I have guests and I have an assortment of afghans to share.

See that's frugal not cheap. My ex's mother refused to pay to run her ducted heating so only heated the room she was in. When she was the only person there, that was fine. But she refused to turn the heating on when she had visitors. So every other room in the house bar the one she was in was freezing and she didn't give a rats if everyone else was cold. Even in the heated room it was cold because she's bundle up in jumpers, blankets and slippers and put the heater right next to her so she was warm but nobody else got any heat. I'd be sitting there in my winter coat and gloves and still be cold. It was warmer outside during the day!