Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 213153 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #315 on: April 03, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
I wonder whether the Dresser Queen wrote that one.

What is a dresser queen?

She was a recurring character in a poster's life from a few years ago.

For your reading pleasure: a complete list of the stories (someone else put it together; I just searched and found it for you).

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

Was there ever any final update on the Dresser Queen saga?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #316 on: April 03, 2013, 11:30:47 PM »

What is a dresser queen?

For your reading pleasure: a complete list of the stories (someone else put it together; I just searched and found it for you).

She moved out a while ago (taking all her dressers with her).  :D

Edited to add a link to the final thread: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=57212.msg1352519#msg1352519
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 11:42:32 PM by The Opinionator »
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

MNdragonlady

« Reply #317 on: April 04, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »

What is a dresser queen?

She moved out a while ago (taking all her dressers with her).  :D

Edited to add a link to the final thread: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=57212.msg1352519#msg1352519

Thank you! I couldn't exactly remember the final episode, so I missed it in my search.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #318 on: April 04, 2013, 01:36:32 AM »
Please tell me that she didn't go back to him. 

DH and I have a standing bet when we go to funerals re: whether we will see someone break off of the funeral party we're with and take flowers from the fresh grave to another grave in the cemetery.  They don't want to spend the money on flowers, but they want to "honor" someone they know in the cemetery.

It's happened more than you would think.  (We're weird.  It helps us cope.)

not cheapskate related but ..... *that's* what bothered her?

OK, back to cheapskate stories...

I honestly do not know if she broke up with him.

Another cheapskate story.  I have a relative who does his own dental work.  He is not a dentist.  I'm not going to get any more specific than that because I want to sleep tonight and it freaks me out.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #319 on: April 04, 2013, 05:00:33 AM »

Another cheapskate story.  I have a relative who does his own dental work.  He is not a dentist.  I'm not going to get any more specific than that because I want to sleep tonight and it freaks me out.

That has allegedly been happening here, because it's not easy in some places to get an NHS dentist and private dental treatment is too expensive for a lot of people to afford :(

littlelauraj

• My world
« Reply #320 on: April 04, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »
My uncle is the notorious family cheapskate.  His house is just about falling down from lack of maintenance.  When a hole wears in the carpet, he throws a remnant over the hole.  Why pay for new carpet?  His best trick, though, is that he buys old, going in the bin ground beef.  He lives in a very small town, and the manager at the grocery store knows that once the ground beef is so old they are pulling it back out of the case, if they toss it in the freezer my uncle will come in and buy it for something like a buck a pound.  Then he makes big batches of chili with it.  He's been doing it for years.  And yes, he does occasionally try to feed it to a guest.  The smell is supposed to be tremendous.

To give him credit, though, he is generous to a fault with his daughter and her children.  He has scrimped and saved his entire life and now she spends his money like it's going out of style.  ("Dad, can I get a ride over with you?  Can we stop at the grocery store on the way home?  Oops, I don't have the money for that.  You're buying?  Good!")  Even my kids see through her shenanigans, but he just won't let his grand kids go without.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #321 on: April 04, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
When a bar of soap is too small to use, I wet both the old and the new soaps and stick them together to avoid throwing away the sliver of soap. I grew up thinking everyone did this. Please let me know if you think this is cheap?
Not cheap!  Smart, is more like it.

Cheap is asking everyone else to give you their slivers so you can make your own bar of soap.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #322 on: April 04, 2013, 10:37:16 AM »
A friend of mine had parents who grew up during the Great Depression and were *very* poor.  In the winter, her mother apparently would go from house to house, go to the coal bin, and scoop up the leftover coal dust at the bottom of the coal bin.  She'd then go knock on the door, tell them she'd scraped up this coal dust at the bottom of their bin, and ask if she might have it.  If they said no, she'd hand it to them (well, poured it into whatever container they grabbed), but if they said yes, she'd take it home and the family would use it to get a little heat.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #323 on: April 04, 2013, 10:41:05 AM »
A few years ago IHOP had a special where kids got a free pancake. We went and DD got the free pancake (I think it had a smiley face made out of whipped cream), and DH and I got an entree each. So of course this is a way to get families into the restaurant, understandable gimmick.

While we were there a family of parents and 4 kids came in. The kids got the free pancakes, no drink and the adults got nothing. They left after the kids finished eating and didn't leave a tip for their waitress. While they technically didn't do anything wrong, they should have left something for the waitress.

The cheap coworker I mentioned before goes to those free pancake day at IHOP.  There are typically long lines and she waits about two or more hours.  She never orders anything else or leave a tip either.  I know because she brags about free food.  I feel sorry for the waiters and cooks on those days dealing with cheapskates all day long with little or no tip, while working harder than usual.  I'm sure regular customers avoids those days.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 10:43:01 AM by rose red »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #324 on: April 04, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »
A few years ago IHOP had a special where kids got a free pancake. We went and DD got the free pancake (I think it had a smiley face made out of whipped cream), and DH and I got an entree each. So of course this is a way to get families into the restaurant, understandable gimmick.

While we were there a family of parents and 4 kids came in. The kids got the free pancakes, no drink and the adults got nothing. They left after the kids finished eating and didn't leave a tip for their waitress. While they technically didn't do anything wrong, they should have left something for the waitress.

The cheap coworker I mentioned before goes to those free pancake day at IHOP.  There are typically long lines and she waits about two or more hours.  She never orders anything else or leave a tip either.  I know because she brags about free food.  I feel sorry for the waiters and cooks on those days dealing with cheapskates all day long with little or no tip, while working harder than usual.  I'm sure regular customers avoids those days.

I'm surprised you don't have to buy an adult meal to get the free pancake! And not leaving a tip is just wrong. whether or not you pay for something at a restaurant, the servers still have to do the same amount of work.  Same thing as people who have BOGOs or Groupons or things like that, and only tip on the amount they actualky pay, not what their actual check would have been.

I had a Groupon last year for a restaurant. what was nice is they brought the check, listed the actual price, and then the Groupon price. Made it much easier for me to figure out how much to tip!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #325 on: April 04, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »
I'm surprised you don't have to buy an adult meal to get the free pancake!

IHOP gives out free pancakes on "pancake day" Feb. 5.  I just looked at their website and they ask guests to make donation to charity, but I wonder how many actually does (I hope I'm just being cynical). 

reflection5

« Reply #326 on: April 04, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
A friend of mine had parents who grew up during the Great Depression and were *very* poor.  In the winter, her mother apparently would go from house to house, go to the coal bin, and scoop up the leftover coal dust at the bottom of the coal bin.  She'd then go knock on the door, tell them she'd scraped up this coal dust at the bottom of their bin, and ask if she might have it.  If they said no, she'd hand it to them (well, poured it into whatever container they grabbed), but if they said yes, she'd take it home and the family would use it to get a little heat.

This is just people doing their best to get thru hard times.  Not cheapskates.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #327 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »

A couple years ago there was a gentleman who would walk through a stand of trees on my property and find the hidden nests from my chickens.  He'd then ask if he could have the eggs.  It took me a week or so to realize what his situation was, and then I'd let him have the 'unsellable' eggs and veggies (translation - whatever happened to be on my counter top when he dropped by).  Fortunately the VA was able to get some resources for him and he isn't on the street anymore.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #328 on: April 04, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't meant to say they were cheapskates, just that the story sort of reminded me of the people collecting slivers of soap to make a new bar of soap or soap liquid.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #329 on: April 04, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »

Maybe my confusion is just because I'm not familiar with how coal bins work, but her actions sound shady to me. First, she goes onto someone's property and collects their belongings (the coal dust), without their permission. Then she knocks on someone's door and says, "Can I have this? If not, scramble around for a container to put it in right now, possibly making a mess of your house and ending up with coal dust where you don't want it." It sounds like she's setting up a situation where if people don't want her to have their own property, they have to do some work to stop her. I think she should have started by asking if she could sweep up and keep the coal dust, not collected it first and then asked.

Now, if it's her job to clean the coal bins, and so she would have swept the dust up anyway with people knowing she's doing that and approving of it, and she's just asking to take it home instead of trashing it, that would be okay. Kind of like asking if you can take food home from the restaurant where you work, if you know it's otherwise going to be thrown out.
~Lynn2000