Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 212550 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
When a bar of soap is too small to use, I wet both the old and the new soaps and stick them together to avoid throwing away the sliver of soap. I grew up thinking everyone did this. Please let me know if you think this is cheap?

I don't thin it's cheap, we do the same thing, it gets fused with a new one. Why waste it when you can still use it. On it's own it would be too small to use it but not if it's fused to a bigger one.

Now collecting all your slivers until you can make a new soap would be too much for me, you either use it now or you throw it away.
Depends on your definition of "use".  Too small to wash with, or too small to do anything with?

I regularly liberate slivers of soap from the bathroom and take them to sanctuary in my sewing room.  There they are used as markers on dark fabrics.  I've tried all kinds of other made-for-quilters marking things, but nothing beats soap.  It doesn't rub off easily, but does wash off leaving nothing behind.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »
I know two people that this happened to: The host at the bar-b-que bought steaks for himself and hot dogs for everyone else.
When my daughters were staying with DH's parents for a week, MIL and FIL ate lobster two nights, and gave the girls hot dogs.  Lobsters that they were GIVEN, 4 of them.  So it wasn't a case of "I don't want to buy lobster for kids that might not eat them."  And my girls were 9 and 12, old enough to be adventurous about eating all kinds of things, not just PBJ and cold cereal. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2013, 06:41:33 AM »
I'm just kinda baffled at marrying someone with whom finances are pretty much guaranteed to be a constant source of tension, to say the least. For the longevity of the marriage, you should probably marry someone with similar notions on household finance, or at least negotiate terms before the wedding.

It has frequently been said that differences over money are the primary cause of marital discord.

Having said that, there is a story relating to the furniture purchase.  My friend's in-laws had a situation early in their marriage where her MIL bought an item of furniture and her husband threw a fit.  He then took away all her signing power over their joint finances and she had to almost beg for grocery money after that.

Emmy

« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:16 AM »
I'm just kinda baffled at marrying someone with whom finances are pretty much guaranteed to be a constant source of tension, to say the least. For the longevity of the marriage, you should probably marry someone with similar notions on household finance, or at least negotiate terms before the wedding.

It has frequently been said that differences over money are the primary cause of marital discord.

Having said that, there is a story relating to the furniture purchase.  My friend's in-laws had a situation early in their marriage where her MIL bought an item of furniture and her husband threw a fit.  He then took away all her signing power over their joint finances and she had to almost beg for grocery money after that.

Did friend's MIL discuss this purchase ahead of time?  furniture is often pretty expensive and both members of the household should like it.  Making a major purchase without consulting your marriage partner seems rude (unless you use your own funds and not the joint account).  DH had a co-worker whose wife purchased a new living room set without so much as a word to her husband.  She also complained when DH's co-worker went golfing, out to lunch, or wanted to do anything he enjoyed yet she budgeted for mommy and me classes and extras for herself and kids.  (She was a stay at home mom and his was the only income at the time).

I do think it is rude to make her beg for grocery money, but I can see why he'd be upset at her bringing home a surprise furniture purchase paid by their joint account.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2013, 07:40:49 AM »
If I recall correctly, she made more money than he did at the time of the marriage, inherited some, and then stayed home to raise their children (which my friend suspects he never wanted).

I don't know how long they were married before she became pregnant the first time or at what stage she decided to stay home with her child, so I don't know whether she was working at the time of the purchase.

This man had cheapskate tendencies in other areas (I don't know the details) and my friend's wasband developed them as well.

Corvid

• Etiquette Hell Thread Assassin Squad
« Reply #350 on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:15 AM »
I haven't used bar soap in over a decade, since a $2 bottle of body wash lasts me two months and I dislike sharing soap with anyone.

I haven't used bar soap since my college microbiology class had us culture used bars of soap.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #351 on: April 05, 2013, 09:17:32 AM »
I know two people that this happened to: The host at the bar-b-que bought steaks for himself and hot dogs for everyone else.
When my daughters were staying with DH's parents for a week, MIL and FIL ate lobster two nights, and gave the girls hot dogs.  Lobsters that they were GIVEN, 4 of them.  So it wasn't a case of "I don't want to buy lobster for kids that might not eat them."  And my girls were 9 and 12, old enough to be adventurous about eating all kinds of things, not just PBJ and cold cereal.

I think your in laws may be related to my sister in law!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #352 on: April 05, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »
There is a story on A Bad Case Of The Dates today written by a girl whose date wanted her to jump out of his moving car when they got to her house because braking uses more petrol, which costs money...

selkiewoman

« Reply #353 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »
I too use soap slivers for marking quilts - best marking tool ever!  However, make sure tit,s not the fancy stuff with lotions and skin creams - that can leave a greasy residue.

darling

« Reply #354 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:43 PM »
There is a story on A Bad Case Of The Dates today written by a girl whose date wanted her to jump out of his moving car when they got to her house because braking uses more petrol, which costs money...

Wha? Just... what the heck???? I'd give him a buck to stop, then tell him off and never see him again. That is just crazy.

Amara

« Reply #355 on: April 05, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
I haven't used bar soap since my college microbiology class had us culture used bars of soap.

Is there any way to make sure you get "clean" soap if you do use the bars? I am wondering if agitating the bar in your hands for a given amount of time (30 seconds?) helps to "cleanse" it so you can wash your hands with a clean bar?

Jones

« Reply #356 on: April 05, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »
My first job was in a grocery store. One night, very late, a couple came in and slowly went through a freezer full of concentrated frozen fruit juices. They managed to find some that had a little concentrate on the outside, either they had leaked or been leaked on.  They took the cans to be marked down at customer service, then came to pay. The rest of their items were reduced and/or couponed. My coworkers and I were glad they came when it was late and quiet so noone had to wait behind them in line.

Shalamar

« Reply #357 on: April 05, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
I'd give him a buck to stop, then tell him off and never see him again.

Actually, the guy asked her to provide two bucks, and then he'd stop.  :o  She was smart, thoguh - she said "How am I going to kiss you if you don't stop?", so - thinking he was about to get a little somethin'-something' - he stopped the car.  Whereupon she jumped out. 

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #358 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »
I've never thought the soy sauce that comes from the little packets was any good.  I don't even use it when I'm eating the Chinese food from that restaurant; I pull out my bottle of Kikkoman!  :)  We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

Exactly!  The little packets of 'soy sauce' from the chinese restaurant are just salty colored water.  I just throw them away and get out my bottle of 'real brewed soy sauce' and use that.   It's much better.

Back to reading...I'm almost done!. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #359 on: April 05, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »
I'd give him a buck to stop, then tell him off and never see him again.

Actually, the guy asked her to provide two bucks, and then he'd stop.  :o  She was smart, thoguh - she said "How am I going to kiss you if you don't stop?", so - thinking he was about to get a little somethin'-something' - he stopped the car.  Whereupon she jumped out. 

I like her!