Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 131360 times)

alkira6

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #360 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
I've never thought the soy sauce that comes from the little packets was any good.  I don't even use it when I'm eating the Chinese food from that restaurant; I pull out my bottle of Kikkoman!  :)  We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

Exactly!  The little packets of 'soy sauce' from the chinese restaurant are just salty colored water.  I just throw them away and get out my bottle of 'real brewed soy sauce' and use that.   It's much better.

Back to reading...I'm almost done!.

The ones we get are Kikkoman so I'm perfectly happy with them. I wish they had wasabi in those little packets, I'd keep them. I love wasabi on fries.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #361 on: April 05, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
I've never thought the soy sauce that comes from the little packets was any good.  I don't even use it when I'm eating the Chinese food from that restaurant; I pull out my bottle of Kikkoman!  :)  We do, however, get lots of Arby's sauce and save any extra for the next time, because the stores vary on how much they'll give you when you ask for "lots," and my husband likes to use something like 11 packets per sandwich!

Exactly!  The little packets of 'soy sauce' from the chinese restaurant are just salty colored water.  I just throw them away and get out my bottle of 'real brewed soy sauce' and use that.   It's much better.

The ones we get are Kikkoman so I'm perfectly happy with them. I wish they had wasabi in those little packets, I'd keep them. I love wasabi on fries.

The packets are Kikkoman?  Lucky you!  All I've ever seen in packets is generic salty colored water.  (read the ingredients).  If they gave out Kikkoman, i'd keep it!
I have a squeeze bottle of wasabi in my fridge.   ;D

alkira6

« Reply #362 on: April 05, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »

The packets are Kikkoman?  Lucky you!  All I've ever seen in packets is generic salty colored water.  (read the ingredients).  If they gave out Kikkoman, i'd keep it!
I have a squeeze bottle of wasabi in my fridge.   ;D

Lucky you! I've seen a couple different kinds, but they boil down to horseradish "sauce" with natural colerant.  The kind served at my sushi place is the common american horseradish/mustard paste, but they occassionally get the real root in and prepare it right before serving. It is GOOD! it tastes different and will cure any sinus issues immediately.  I wish I could grow real wasabi root, but it's too hot and dry where I live for it to grow outside and I can't afford a hydroponic setup. And yes, I try to grow all sorts of weird stuff.  I tried to grow a corpse flower, but it died at about three inches.  When I told DH what it was, he looked and me like this  :o and this  ??? and asked me "why".  Why not?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #363 on: April 05, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
DH loves horseradish, wasabi, spicy mustard, etc. and was complaining that we were out and have been out for ages.  I never touch the stuff so I didn't realize - we had my generic yellow mustard and I like that just fine thankyouverymuch  :P  I've been vaguely keeping an eye out for it at the grocery store, but they don't stock any spicy mustard near the ketchup and regular mustard, so I kept forgetting about it.

Last week, though, I finally asked an employee to show me.  Turns out it's all in the ethnic foods section (WHY?) - even the brands that aren't terribly ethnic.  Coincidentially, the German section is right next to the Asian section.

I came home with eight different brands/types of condiments in the mustard/horseradish/wasabi family.  DH can be picky about his spicy mustard, so he doesn't get to complain anymore - this should last us for at least a few weeks  :P  I just went to the fridge and added it up - 34.5 ounces, so just over two pounds of spiciness I won't eat taking up space on the fridge door  ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
For many years, MIL did something that wasn't cheap.  She would wash bags from Wonder Bread and use them to pack lunches.

That was thrifty but it was also dangerous because certain colors used on the bags contained lead.  It was perfectly safe on the original loaf of bread.  However, once the wrapper was washed, turned inside-out, dried and used over and over, bits of lead could begin to leach into the food.  It took a long time to convince her that buying a box of sandwich bags was a healthier choice. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
We have at least 8 varieties of mustard in our refrigerator at all times.  8)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #366 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
DH loves horseradish, wasabi, spicy mustard, etc. and was complaining that we were out and have been out for ages.  I never touch the stuff so I didn't realize - we had my generic yellow mustard and I like that just fine thankyouverymuch  :P  I've been vaguely keeping an eye out for it at the grocery store, but they don't stock any spicy mustard near the ketchup and regular mustard, so I kept forgetting about it.

Last week, though, I finally asked an employee to show me.  Turns out it's all in the ethnic foods section (WHY?) - even the brands that aren't terribly ethnic.  Coincidentially, the German section is right next to the Asian section.

I had to get horseradish the other day for Passover.  I wandered the store, completely lost as to where it would be, then finally I called my mom (late at night, so it wasn't as easy to find an employee as usual).  Turns out that horseradish is with the hotdogs!  Who woulda thunk?  Well, maybe all of you smart eHellions, but not me.  I was very disappointed to discover that it wasn't pink.  We always used to get the pink one that is colored with beet juice, but apparently this store only carried plain white.

SoCalVal

« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
I used to have a friend who didn't like to pay the cost of making phone calls from her home phone (land line), so if she called you, she would immediately make an excuse like "The line is full of static on my end, can you try calling me back?" Then you would call her, and she'd be happy to talk for an hour, now that you were footing the cost of the call.

Years ago, I worked in an office where the manager was incredibly cheap (and he was pretty well-off having made very good money in his field).  That manager then transferred from our office to another office in the same county but different area code (so any calls from our area to that area would be toll calls).  I remember answering the phone in our office once, and it was his daughter.  She immediately asked to be transferred to the office where her father was working so I transferred her (not thinking anything of it).  She called again a few minutes later and immediately asked me to transfer her again.  That was when I realized that she was calling from their home (which was in our area code) and calling our office to be transferred so their phone bill wouldn't reflect the toll charge (it would be billed to the company).  I thought that little trick our old manager taught his daughter was really rather beyond cheap.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2013, 03:42:53 PM »

I had to get horseradish the other day for Passover.  I wandered the store, completely lost as to where it would be, then finally I called my mom (late at night, so it wasn't as easy to find an employee as usual).  Turns out that horseradish is with the hotdogs!  Who woulda thunk?  Well, maybe all of you smart eHellions, but not me.  I was very disappointed to discover that it wasn't pink.  We always used to get the pink one that is colored with beet juice, but apparently this store only carried plain white.

Horseradish is also in the refrigerated section, near the pickles. I have seen the pink version there.

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2013, 04:07:58 PM »
- Lying about my age so I could get freebies.  Worse one was lying about my species: in order to avoid paying my ticket on a ferry, she wrapped me in a blanket, told me to curl up on the seat and shut up.  She told the ticket taker I was a dog.

OK...I realize this has been quoted and commented on before, but daaaaaang:D

/ Now back to catching up on this thread.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Amara

« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »
For many years, MIL did something that wasn't cheap.  She would wash bags from Wonder Bread and use them to pack lunches.

That was thrifty but it was also dangerous because certain colors used on the bags contained lead.  It was perfectly safe on the original loaf of bread.  However, once the wrapper was washed, turned inside-out, dried and used over and over, bits of lead could begin to leach into the food.  It took a long time to convince her that buying a box of sandwich bags was a healthier choice.

Okay, now this I have never understood. Why turn the bag inside out? Why even wash it? It was fine the way it was for holding the food so why not just shake it out and re-use it with the sandwich on the inside?

BarensMom

« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »

Wasabi on fries actually sounds good.

MommyPenguin, your DH sounds like a man after my own heart.  The only proper way to eat a Arby's RB sandwich is to open the sandwich, put 3 packets on the top bun, 3 on the bottom, and 3 on the meat, then add more as needed.

reflection5

« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2013, 09:30:59 PM »
The only proper way to eat a Arby's RB sandwich is to open the sandwich, put 3 packets on the top bun, 3 on the bottom, and 3 on the meat, then add more as needed.

And never wear a blouse you really love while doing this.   :(

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2013, 09:56:15 PM »
I prefer ketchup on my Arby's roast beef, and there's no end to the grief I get over this.  I don't dislike Arby's sauce, I just don't think it adds quite the flavor I want.

Oh, and the horseradish that was near the hotdogs, that was also where the refrigerated pickles were, too.  So I think they just didn't have the pink one.  My mom tried to suggest that I get some beets and follow some recipe... I have 4 kids under 7, not happening.  White horseradish will do.  :)

My assumption with turning the bread packaging inside out and washing it was that it wasn't necessarily being used right away, and was maybe being used multiple times, so eventually any bread crumbs on the inside of the bag would get moldy and you'd need to wash it.

Personally, we do wash Ziplock bags (my husband insists), but I usually just toss the little sandwich bags that just have the flip over.  And I never wash bags that held raw meat or anything that went yucky.  I do turn the good bags inside out to wash them, though, so I can make sure to get all the way into the corners, etc.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2013, 10:21:56 PM »
I would rather use containers and lids than wash a zipper lock plastic bag, even once.