Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 218419 times)

Cami

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #675 on: April 20, 2013, 10:31:56 PM »
I love my father, but I'm starting to wonder if he is a cheapskate. I have a couple of examples:

He also goes to some odd lengths to save himself a few pennies. When we were in another country, he insisted we walk somewhere a long distance away during a storm to save money instead of getting a taxi. Rainstorms which, in this country, are really bad with heavy rain and strong winds. Despite my protests, as I had been living in the country for 5 months at that point and had experienced said storms, he insisted that it would be fine. He didn't lose out on any money, but he made everyone else very unhappy.

I had a friend pull that on me when I was sick in a strange city all to save $5. Long story short, that incident made me decide that person should be a former friend because I could not afford -- emotionally or in that case, physically -- to have a cheapskate like that in my life.  She occasionally brings up that incident with a mutual friend expressing her shock (20 years later) that I'd drop her over "the taxi incident."

gmatoy

« Reply #676 on: April 21, 2013, 12:05:24 AM »
OK, maybe this can get second prize. It concerns friends of friends, let's call them John and Mary.

They are at a restaurant, John has hot tea to drink, Mary has hot water. As they are paying the bill at the cashier, Mary finds she has been charged the same for her hot water as John was for his tea. She demands, and gets, a tea bag to take home with her.

I don't know, I kind of feel for Mary here, though I would have requested the charge be removed rather than demanded a tea bag.  If she actually just had hot water and was charged for it (as opposed to using John's tea bag and hoping they would only charge for one), they should have told her ahead of time that they were going to charge her for a tea.

We were on a trip and I ordered tea, but asked them "please don't put in the tea bag, as I have my own that I prefer to use." The waiter told me that he wouldn't charge me for the "cup of hot water." I use a lot of milk in my tea, so I ordered a glass of milk. He couldn't get over that I had ordered milk instead of asking for creamer. Made me wonder what kind of people he usually had for customers! These stories are answering that question!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #677 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
I love my father, but I'm starting to wonder if he is a cheapskate. I have a couple of examples:

My mother sometimes makes huge batches of certain foods to take with her when she visits friends or family who are often resting up from illnesses or are just in need of some of her food. She stores this food in those foil containers with cardboard lids and leaves some of them for myself and my father. She has always emphasised to me how reusing them is out of the question, as they aren't safe for such a thing, and even then they are too flimsy to keep their original, useful shape after use. Father saw me moving to throw a used container away and shouted at me about how wasteful I was being, how we could use it again etc. I tried to explain to him that it may not be the best of ideas, but I'm not very good at, well, talking. In the end I waited for him to leave the room and quietly disposed of the container (was that PA of me?)

He also goes to some odd lengths to save himself a few pennies. When we were in another country, he insisted we walk somewhere a long distance away during a storm to save money instead of getting a taxi. Rainstorms which, in this country, are really bad with heavy rain and strong winds. Despite my protests, as I had been living in the country for 5 months at that point and had experienced said storms, he insisted that it would be fine. He didn't lose out on any money, but he made everyone else very unhappy.

My apologies for the length :-[

I hate those containers because they aren't reusable.  The tin part might be reusable once, but the lids become useless after the first time.

As for taxis, I tend to be cheap about those because they are so expensive these days.  However, if the weather is really horrible, my feet hurt, or I'm carrying lots of stuff, I try for one.

My mother was very generous with herself about taxis but would never -- even after her final illness began -- have groceries delivered because she hated tipping people.  She would cringe today at my once-a-month $6 tip to the guy who carries 3 14-lb boxes of cat litter and other stuff up to my 4th floor walkup.  I have bad knees so that $6 spares me pain that lasts through the entire next day.

Eclectic Dugong

« Reply #678 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
I hate those containers because they aren't reusable.  The tin part might be reusable once, but the lids become useless after the first time.

As for taxis, I tend to be cheap about those because they are so expensive these days.  However, if the weather is really horrible, my feet hurt, or I'm carrying lots of stuff, I try for one.

My mother was very generous with herself about taxis but would never -- even after her final illness began -- have groceries delivered because she hated tipping people.  She would cringe today at my once-a-month $6 tip to the guy who carries 3 14-lb boxes of cat litter and other stuff up to my 4th floor walkup.  I have bad knees so that $6 spares me pain that lasts through the entire next day.

Personally I dislike the containers too because of reusing them is an impossibility (health risks) and we have so many of them. I would agree with my father that it is wasteful, if it were a plastic container from a takeaway (I love those).

Also, sharp corners on a tin container and clumsy people (a.k.a me) don't mix ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #679 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:53 AM »
A Problem is that many take-out restaurants here deliver food in very good quality plastic containers with Snap-on lids.  These can be used again and even used to store food in the freezer.  It seems a shame to just dump them in the recycle bin but there are only so many you can use.   

sevenday

« Reply #680 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »
Thipu, I use those as food containers but also for my crafts - storing all those little bits and bobs and things, and they stack together nicely into a larger container or on a shelf.  I also painted the lids of a couple of them and used them as containers for Christmas gifts this last Christmas. (I made one of those "refrigerator-word" sets for my nephews, and also some magnetic Minecraft blocks.)  Plus the things you get deli meat in? Those too.  My dad also uses them in the garage to sort his screws and the like.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #681 on: April 22, 2013, 02:00:26 PM »
I use the flatter containers for jewelry project materials.

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #682 on: April 22, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
he refused to pay anyone to do anything he couldn’t do

Sounds like my dad.  He's a very  handy guy, and there's a lot he CAN do, but if he finds himself flummoxed by a home repair job, he's convinced that no-one on this earth could fix it.

Wow, are we related?  Because you just described my parents AND my ILs.  The difference is that my ILs do the repairs and have a wonky house. My parents don't do the repairs and just keep adding the potential projects to their list and have a broken house.  No kidding I once visited for Christmas and discovered that they had a toilet that had been stopped up for six months.  Because they are empty-nesters and it used to be the "kids'" bathroom, they just kept the door closed.  A plumber was "too expensive" and they were "too busy" to get it done.  (They protested and complained when my sister called a plumber for them for Christmas.)

My husband and I resembled that for our first year of home ownership.  Then we spent money on a handyman cleaning up our goofs that would have cost half as much (and 1/10 the time) for him to do in the first place.  We've been cured ever since. 

Last year we had a serious repair in our bathroom.  His parents kept freaking out that we were paying someone to fix it.  But they have a toilet that wobbles after they replaced the wax seal.  Seriously, there is a whole generation of grandkids who are all terrified of using the potty there.

The bolded still has me laughing!  I'm picturing children running away from the toilet screaming.  ;D

JoW

« Reply #683 on: April 22, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
A Problem is that many take-out restaurants here deliver food in very good quality plastic containers with Snap-on lids.  These can be used again and even used to store food in the freezer.  It seems a shame to just dump them in the recycle bin but there are only so many you can use.   
I keep one in my car.  Its got two $1 bills and about $5 in quarters in it.  Thats enough for fast food when I accidentally leave my wallet at home.  Its also useful for buying a soft drink or candy bar while traveling.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #684 on: April 23, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
My folks save their change - the quarters get dumped into an old yogurt container, with lid, for when they travel.  There are a couple of toll roads in Houston that make it much faster to get to my sister's house (SE near Johnson Space Center) - although they don't need to drive down one to get to my house (outside the inner toll ring on the SW side of Houston). 

It also comes in handy in the car for ice cream cones at McDonald's during their usual summer fifty cent "sale".

The rest of the change gets used so that they can pay with the exact change, whenever possible......it's a family quirk, what can I say.  I like doing it, too.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

25wishes

« Reply #685 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:20 PM »
well, I thought I was pretty thrifty/frugal/cheap, but this had me dropping my jaw and scratching my head.

On the  message board of a large online auction site, a poster recommended saving the packing tape off cardboard boxes - where it crosses other tape, you can pull it off and re-use it. I hope it was a joke.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #686 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »
well, I thought I was pretty thrifty/frugal/cheap, but this had me dropping my jaw and scratching my head.

On the  message board of a large online auction site, a poster recommended saving the packing tape off cardboard boxes - where it crosses other tape, you can pull it off and re-use it. I hope it was a joke.

Oh man. That's the sort of situations where we say, "We're AMERICANS, dam*mit!" and buy something.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »

The mind boggles.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2013, 01:47:02 PM »
DH has had extraordinary fortune finding objects that can be reused.

This morning, he found a commercial sandwich press next to his shop's door. He is tickled pink!

My philosophy on this, either we can rehabilitate the item, or recycle the materials. Either is better than it going in the landfill.

marcel

« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2013, 02:28:55 PM »
I started reading that you were a urban pickler, didn't bat an eye at that, but wondered quite fast how you could pickle a table, vacuums or dinnerware...
we can pickle that
Wherever you go..... There you are.