News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 21, 2017, 06:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 502487 times)

sevenday

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #675 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Thipu, I use those as food containers but also for my crafts - storing all those little bits and bobs and things, and they stack together nicely into a larger container or on a shelf.  I also painted the lids of a couple of them and used them as containers for Christmas gifts this last Christmas. (I made one of those "refrigerator-word" sets for my nephews, and also some magnetic Minecraft blocks.)  Plus the things you get deli meat in? Those too.  My dad also uses them in the garage to sort his screws and the like.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #676 on: April 22, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »
I use the flatter containers for jewelry project materials.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

EnoughAlready22

« Reply #677 on: April 22, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
he refused to pay anyone to do anything he couldnít do

Sounds like my dad.  He's a very  handy guy, and there's a lot he CAN do, but if he finds himself flummoxed by a home repair job, he's convinced that no-one on this earth could fix it.

Wow, are we related?  Because you just described my parents AND my ILs.  The difference is that my ILs do the repairs and have a wonky house. My parents don't do the repairs and just keep adding the potential projects to their list and have a broken house.  No kidding I once visited for Christmas and discovered that they had a toilet that had been stopped up for six months.  Because they are empty-nesters and it used to be the "kids'" bathroom, they just kept the door closed.  A plumber was "too expensive" and they were "too busy" to get it done.  (They protested and complained when my sister called a plumber for them for Christmas.)

My husband and I resembled that for our first year of home ownership.  Then we spent money on a handyman cleaning up our goofs that would have cost half as much (and 1/10 the time) for him to do in the first place.  We've been cured ever since. 

Last year we had a serious repair in our bathroom.  His parents kept freaking out that we were paying someone to fix it.  But they have a toilet that wobbles after they replaced the wax seal.  Seriously, there is a whole generation of grandkids who are all terrified of using the potty there.

The bolded still has me laughing!  I'm picturing children running away from the toilet screaming.  ;D

JoW

« Reply #678 on: April 22, 2013, 10:13:24 PM »
A Problem is that many take-out restaurants here deliver food in very good quality plastic containers with Snap-on lids.  These can be used again and even used to store food in the freezer.  It seems a shame to just dump them in the recycle bin but there are only so many you can use.   
I keep one in my car.  Its got two $1 bills and about $5 in quarters in it.  Thats enough for fast food when I accidentally leave my wallet at home.  Its also useful for buying a soft drink or candy bar while traveling.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #679 on: April 23, 2013, 07:37:25 AM »
My folks save their change - the quarters get dumped into an old yogurt container, with lid, for when they travel.  There are a couple of toll roads in Houston that make it much faster to get to my sister's house (SE near Johnson Space Center) - although they don't need to drive down one to get to my house (outside the inner toll ring on the SW side of Houston). 

It also comes in handy in the car for ice cream cones at McDonald's during their usual summer fifty cent "sale".

The rest of the change gets used so that they can pay with the exact change, whenever possible......it's a family quirk, what can I say.  I like doing it, too.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

25wishes

« Reply #680 on: April 23, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »
well, I thought I was pretty thrifty/frugal/cheap, but this had me dropping my jaw and scratching my head.

On the  message board of a large online auction site, a poster recommended saving the packing tape off cardboard boxes - where it crosses other tape, you can pull it off and re-use it. I hope it was a joke.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #681 on: April 23, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
well, I thought I was pretty thrifty/frugal/cheap, but this had me dropping my jaw and scratching my head.

On the  message board of a large online auction site, a poster recommended saving the packing tape off cardboard boxes - where it crosses other tape, you can pull it off and re-use it. I hope it was a joke.

Oh man. That's the sort of situations where we say, "We're AMERICANS, dam*mit!" and buy something.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Twik

« Reply #682 on: April 23, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

The mind boggles.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #683 on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:02 PM »
DH has had extraordinary fortune finding objects that can be reused.

This morning, he found a commercial sandwich press next to his shop's door. He is tickled pink!

My philosophy on this, either we can rehabilitate the item, or recycle the materials. Either is better than it going in the landfill.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

marcel

« Reply #684 on: April 23, 2013, 01:28:55 PM »
I started reading that you were a urban pickler, didn't bat an eye at that, but wondered quite fast how you could pickle a table, vacuums or dinnerware...
we can pickle that
Wherever you go..... There you are.

Dr. F.

« Reply #685 on: April 23, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
I hate those containers because they aren't reusable.  The tin part might be reusable once, but the lids become useless after the first time.

Personally I dislike the containers too because of reusing them is an impossibility (health risks) and we have so many of them. I would agree with my father that it is wasteful, if it were a plastic container from a takeaway (I love those).

Also, sharp corners on a tin container and clumsy people (a.k.a me) don't mix ;D

If you poke a few holes in the bottom, they make excellent flats for starting seedlings.

snowflake

« Reply #686 on: April 23, 2013, 02:44:11 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as a cheapskate or what this is.  This is more the story of someone who dodged a very expensive bullet and still complains about the cost.

The back story is that last year, a friend of my husband's was at fault in what should have been a minor car accident.  Unfortunately, the other car was older and had an over-sensitive airbag.  The other driver was so startled by it blowing up in his face that he swerved and caused a much more serious accident.  All people were OK except for the startled driver who had a very seriously broken leg.  He was rushed to the hospital for surgery and needed subsequent surgeries as he healed.  He had six months of rehabilitation and because he had a very physical job, he could not work.

So all in all, the insurance claim was about $1,000 for the junker car, $200,000 in medical bills including surgery, rehab, home health care, physical therapy, etc. and $70,000 for a year's salary because he lost his job for not being able to work and it took him awhile to find a new one while he was not in peak physical condition. 

My friends were understandably wondering if they should be liable.  After all, they only caused a fender-bender and they were not at fault for the airbag issue or for swerving.  They met with the insurance company lawyer and the analysis was that they should accept liability because if the case went to a jury, the jury would probably feel sorry for the guy and award him way more than what he was asking.  The insurance company lawyer said that he could probably ask for 4-5 times as much and get it.  Besides the actual suffering, his wife was very much stressed by the burden of his care and having to care for their two little children by herself. But they mostly just cared that they could pay off their debts incurred by the accident so they wouldn't lose their house or go bankrupt. 

Our friends had to pay about 20K of the claim and took out a small home loan that will require them to pay $50 per month for the next ten years.  They are two people who no longer have children at home and they both have professional-level salaries.  (Their combined pay puts them very close to the 1%)

So now here is the cheapskate part:  For the past few months, the friends have been complaining to no end about this.  They have stopped wondering if they should have full liability and have focused on the greed of the claim. 

"Well it must be nice to have someone to pay you to lie around for a year.  I didn't realize it was OK to go on vacation just because you get hit.  I think I'll go get in an accident and not work."

"I don't know how anyone manages to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical bills.  Even my lasik surgery was less!"

"Of COURSE he can just have all that physical therapy because it's on our dime!"

I won't deny that I'd probably be ticked off about having to pay 20,000 over a little accident.  But the whole thing is getting on my nerves.  While this was happening, they discussed the case in detail in front of us because my DH at one point worked in insurance before his grad school.  So we know that he really didn't ask for an outrageous amount.

Oh, and they paid 20K because their liability was capped at 250K.  So if he had gone whole-hog, they would have been on the hook for every penny of it. So in a way, the guy saved them close to a million dollars and they keep going on about how greedy he is and how they shouldn't have to pay for his injuries.  I'm going to be really good at bean-dipping by the time this is done.

(sorry so long.  I heard about this AGAIN last night and kept thinking of people on this thread.)

MindsEye

« Reply #687 on: April 23, 2013, 02:56:56 PM »
Yeesh, Snowflake...

Next time those people start to complain I would be highly tempted to say something like, "Isn't it wonderful that the guy was gracious enough to not want to go to court?  Because you know that if he had, you know that you would have been out a whole heck of a lot more money then that measly $20k."

(Also, does this guy not realize that surgery and rehabilitation is not the same thing as a vacation at the beach?)

alkira6

« Reply #688 on: April 23, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »
snip
So now here is the cheapskate part:  For the past few months, the friends have been complaining to no end about this.  They have stopped wondering if they should have full liability and have focused on the greed of the claim. 

"Well it must be nice to have someone to pay you to lie around for a year.  I didn't realize it was OK to go on vacation just because you get hit.  I think I'll go get in an accident and not work."
"I don't know how anyone manages to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical bills.  Even my lasik surgery was less!"

"Of COURSE he can just have all that physical therapy because it's on our dime!"

I won't deny that I'd probably be ticked off about having to pay 20,000 over a little accident.  But the whole thing is getting on my nerves.  While this was happening, they discussed the case in detail in front of us because my DH at one point worked in insurance before his grad school.  So we know that he really didn't ask for an outrageous amount.

Oh, and they paid 20K because their liability was capped at 250K.  So if he had gone whole-hog, they would have been on the hook for every penny of it. So in a way, the guy saved them close to a million dollars and they keep going on about how greedy he is and how they shouldn't have to pay for his injuries.  I'm going to be really good at bean-dipping by the time this is done.

(sorry so long.  I heard about this AGAIN last night and kept thinking of people on this thread.)

the bolded puts them past cheap and into bad person territory in my opinion.

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #689 on: April 23, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »
If you live in a big university town, you could probably furnish your whole house with cast-offs at the end of the year.

I remember a family gathering during move-in week at the University in Madison WI.  I swear that I saw the truck from the 'Beverly Hillbillies' with the rocking chair on top pull up to the curb near a dorm. 

Yep, we call it "Hippie Christmas!"

Ha! I love that! I live in New Jersey so of course there are little college towns everywhere, and dorm move-out day really is like a little holiday. It's definitely an event.

Edited because i know the difference between there, their, and they're
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:04:06 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem