Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 208158 times)

Carotte

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #765 on: April 29, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »
[quote author=SamiHami link=topic=126433.msg2934244#msg2934244

This might be cheapskate, but honestly I don't care. When we got engaged decades ago DH wanted me to help pick out my engagement ring (smart man...he figured since I'm the one who has to wear it forever I should have some input!). We looked around a lot of places, and of course being young and not exactly rich couldn't afford a lot, not that I was demanding anything. One store he took me to was a pawn shop, where I actually got a really nice diamond solitaire for an excellent price. It was twice the size of other stones in regular retail jewelry stores. I have had it appraised for insurance purposes and we got an excellent deal. I thought I'd feel weird about wearing a "used" ring, but you know what? It was new to me, and I've been wearing it for 27 years now.
[/quote]

I wouldn't consider this being cheap. Even if you're rolling on gold, sometimes you'll only find something you like as second-hand if it's out of style or rare.

I know that for personal belief/opinion I'll only consider a second-hand diamond/heirloom, or a man-made one. but since I don't really care for them I'd probably go for some other gem.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #766 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
[quote author=SamiHami link=topic=126433.msg2934244#msg2934244

This might be cheapskate, but honestly I don't care. When we got engaged decades ago DH wanted me to help pick out my engagement ring (smart man...he figured since I'm the one who has to wear it forever I should have some input!). We looked around a lot of places, and of course being young and not exactly rich couldn't afford a lot, not that I was demanding anything. One store he took me to was a pawn shop, where I actually got a really nice diamond solitaire for an excellent price. It was twice the size of other stones in regular retail jewelry stores. I have had it appraised for insurance purposes and we got an excellent deal. I thought I'd feel weird about wearing a "used" ring, but you know what? It was new to me, and I've been wearing it for 27 years now.

I wouldn't consider this being cheap. Even if you're rolling on gold, sometimes you'll only find something you like as second-hand if it's out of style or rare.

I know that for personal belief/opinion I'll only consider a second-hand diamond/heirloom, or a man-made one. but since I don't really care for them I'd probably go for some other gem.
[/quote]

Actually I really wanted a ruby engagement ring, which DH would happily have bought for me, but my dad insisted that I would regret not having a "traditional' diamond engagement ring. I love my ring, but I wish I had stuck to my guns. Instead, my sweet hubby got me a ruby ring wrap for my birthday six months after our wedding <3.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #767 on: April 29, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »
Over the last few years, I've developed the hobby of picking up any beer can or beer bottle I see (even if they're dirty).  I get ten cents per can/bottle, and it's amazing how quickly the money adds up.  We must live in a neighborhood full of slobs, because we've managed to buy a very nice couch with our "free money".

Not cheapskate, practical & good for the environment! The college I went to used to host an international conference every summer & of course people who attended wouldn't be taking the time to return the bottles for the cash. Each year the more determined students who stayed near campus made quite a killing going through the trash each day & returning the cans/bottles.

Ereine

« Reply #768 on: April 30, 2013, 12:14:35 AM »
My father just told me stories of his mother's father who was apparently a bit cheap but not necessarily in ways that would save money. He had once bought two buckets full of oranges because he wanted the buckets (which would have cost less on their own but at least he got the oranges too). Another time there was a huge sale on sugar and he bought ten kilos even though he couldn't use sugar at all and when he died his kitchen cabinets were still full of it. But it was a huge discount. This is possibly more strange than cheap but when my parents got married he gave them a photo of himself as a wedding present.

My father's father tried to reuse coffee grounds (to make more coffee). It didn't work very well.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #769 on: April 30, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »
Heehee...first thing that came to mind when reading about the sugar was Marilla Cuthbert muttering "Twenty pounds of brown sugar..." after Anne whirls in and then back out with her puffed sleeves.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

RobinduBois

« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »

I'd say that in that context it means 'thief' more than it means 'penny pincher'--it's not just cheap, it's a swindle and a deception thing.
I also think that, historically (assume some historical context ;), it may have some of the racial/irish slur associations with it too.

'Chiseler' can be considered very close to 'grifter'.  It's used to describe a sly, manipulative person who can't be trusted as far as you can throw him.

It 's definitely Irish and was used by Irish people themselves.  I seem to recall that James Joyce used the term.

Thanks for the explanations.  I'll now appreciate the word's connotations better if I come across it again, but I think I'll avoid using it myself.

Robin

audhs

« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2013, 08:42:19 AM »
Heehee...first thing that came to mind when reading about the sugar was Marilla Cuthbert muttering "Twenty pounds of brown sugar..." after Anne whirls in and then back out with her puffed sleeves.

Me too :)

bloo

« Reply #772 on: April 30, 2013, 10:36:52 AM »
This story is almost unbelievable.
http://notalwaysright.com/acting-like-a-has-bean/29002

That the woman would work that hard to save a few bucks.

Summary:

Woman decides to bag a single coffee bean in one of many bulk bags of single coffee beans because the weight of a single bean and bag is zero = so no price. It's free!

But she gets defeated by the register/scale at checkout!

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #773 on: April 30, 2013, 10:42:53 AM »

Summary:

Woman decides to bag a single coffee bean in one of many bulk bags of single coffee beans because the weight of a single bean and bag is zero = so no price. It's free!

I couldn't believe she ditched them after paying for them!

Amara

« Reply #774 on: April 30, 2013, 11:21:41 AM »
Hahahahaha. That story sounds so plausible I believe it is likely the unembellished truth.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #775 on: April 30, 2013, 11:22:35 AM »

Summary:

Sounded to me like she dumped the beans into one bag and threw away the now empty bags.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #776 on: April 30, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »

Summary:

That's one of the problems with 'Not Always Right'. Many of the stories sound like something that a Middle School student might dream up in a creative writing class.  It sounds like a good idea but it just doesn't work in real life and the author hasn't had the experience to know that it won't work. 

Where we buy coffee, you put a bag underneath and open a hopper to dispense the beans.  I know of no place where you can choose a bean from here and a bean from there. 

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »

Summary:

That's one of the problems with 'Not Always Right'. Many of the stories sound like something that a Middle School student might dream up in a creative writing class.  It sounds like a good idea but it just doesn't work in real life and the author hasn't had the experience to know that it won't work. 

Where we buy coffee, you put a bag underneath and open a hopper to dispense the beans.  I know of no place where you can choose a bean from here and a bean from there.

I've seen bulk bins where you scoop the coffee and could come up with a bean at a time. I've also stopped by the bulk bins to pick up 2 bay leaves for a recipe (I don't normally use them) which rang up as free.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #778 on: May 02, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »
Another one from the ILs. 

In the 1960s and 1970s, FIL would make several trips to China a year. He could do this because his company was involved in a joint venture with the Chinese government.  Sometimes, MIL went with him to visit family.  Flying from NYC to China involved several long flights so they flew first-class.

In those days, in-flight meals were served quite frequently and each meal was served with real flatware.  In China, a gift of six small spoons was considered a fine gift.  MIL would pocket the teaspoons that came with meals on the flight and present them to her relatives as a gift. 

She also gave them to us.  somewhere around here we still have a few spoons with airline insignia. 

Carotte

« Reply #779 on: May 02, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
My cousins everyday flatware all bear the crest of the national air travel company, brought by my uncle, one piece at a time over a few years (he used to travel a lot).
It was a funny thing to do for him, it's not done out of cheapstakeness at least, and he doesn't boast about it.
It probably was more along the line of "how much time will I need to have a complete set?".
And I guess with all that he paid in (over priced) fare it's justified for him. It's still a bit eye-rolly anyway.