News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 16, 2017, 12:49:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 500346 times)

siamesecat2965

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »
When we went to Assateague/Ocean City, my MIL gave each of the older 2 $20 to buy their own souvenirs.  I wish I could say that stopped the middle pirate from buying junk, but it didn't.  However my oldest did listen to the advice of his "auntie" (bff) who works in retail and gave them both some tips on buying souvenirs.  As in, don't waste money on overpriced junk you could easily find someplace else back home.   

My rule of thumb is I don't buy anything I could buy at home, or anything I won't use. I try and find stuff that's local to whereever I am, and if not, oh well. I have enough coffee cuts, etc. to last me a lifetime. I will sometimes buy a magnet for my fridge or t-shirt, but that's about it.

Thipu1

« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:20 AM »
We're pretty cheap wihen it comes to souvenirs. 

A fridge magnet is a must and, if available, a little box or basket made in the area.  We don't bother with anything else unless it's a real grabber.  I did splurge on a sweater in Iceland but that was a very rare case.

We don't bring tribute to anyone any more but, when in Baltimore we do load up on crab-themed stuff because we have a relative who collects things like that and has never been to Baltimore. 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2013, 09:45:52 AM »

A fridge magnet is a must and, if available, a little box or basket made in the area.  We don't bother with anything else unless it's a real grabber.  I did splurge on a sweater in Iceland but that was a very rare case.

We don't bring tribute to anyone any more but, when in Baltimore we do load up on crab-themed stuff because we have a relative who collects things like that and has never been to Baltimore.

I don't either. Although last time I was in Bermuda, i did bring my parents a bottle of rum, and my dad a Bermudian cookbook.  I do have to laugh; my sr. yr. in HS, 1984, I went to spain. And bought my parents souveniers. Some nice handpainted flowerpots and ashtrays. they both smoked at the time, but now my mom uses those for under plant saucers.  ANd I also bought them some lovely cloth napkins with a lacy design, which my mom still has and uses.

exitzero

« Reply #918 on: August 05, 2013, 10:01:29 AM »

My go-to souvenir is a pressed penny. It's cheap, easy to carry and don't take up much room once you get them home. I have some books that display them on my mantle.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #919 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »

My go-to souvenir is a pressed penny. It's cheap, easy to carry and don't take up much room once you get them home. I have some books that display them on my mantle.

Same here. We have fun with them, there is a website http://www.pennycollector.com/ that has locators for them if you want to know where to go when you are on vacation/road tripping / collecting. Also, an M&M mini tube is just the right size for quarters and pennys. We stack them in the tube 2 quarters then a penny so that we always have the right coins for it.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #920 on: August 05, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »
I haven't traveled in ages but when I went to Spain I got posters for my colleagues that had their names ("translated" into Spanish) blocked in by the vendor.  They cost something like 300 pesetas in the park in Madrid (1993) to have your name blocked into a flamenco or bullfight poster.  I rolled them up together to pack into my suitcase.  Folding fans with (dancers, matadors, bulls, musicians on them) for most of the women cost 200 pesetas each; bought a lot of those.  Picked up lots of flamenco stuff for my class.

I refuse to buy kitschy stuff and I look for the best price for anything.  It's my nature.

exitzero

« Reply #921 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:02 AM »

Same here. We have fun with them, there is a website http://www.pennycollector.com/ that has locators for them if you want to know where to go when you are on vacation/road tripping / collecting. Also, an M&M mini tube is just the right size for quarters and pennys. We stack them in the tube 2 quarters then a penny so that we always have the right coins for it.

OOOOOOOH they have an app!  ;D

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #922 on: August 05, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »

My family has always brought home stuff for each other, but a few years ago I was doing a lot of travelling, and I was getting short on cash - one of the trips was a wedding, so already expensive enough without bringing home trinkets.  In addition, all of us were getting kind of full on "stuff" so I decided that I would only bring back souvenirs if they cried out "buy me for ___"  No one in the family minded, and we have largely adopted that attitude for all trips.  It makes it much less stressful to be checking off a list and instead just wandering around window shopping.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #923 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I use poster putty to stick my pressed pennies around my computer monitor.
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Eastsider

« Reply #924 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
This summer my family went on a once in a lifetime trip.  The kids grandparents gave them $15 for souvenirs and we had a conversation about how "just because it says Puerto Rico on it, doesn't mean there are actually elephants on the island".

FauxFoodist

« Reply #925 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:24 PM »
There's a hilarious budget making the rounds online (article here), put out by McDonalds to prove their minimum-wage workers can make it without resorting to government assistance.  Except, as many places have pointed out, the budget assumes an 80-hour work week (when most fast food workers can't even get 40 at one job).  And doesn't include things like heat, gas for the car, clothes, or food.  And somehow this employee is supposed to find health insurance for $20/month which is even more laughable when you see that $20 is less than a third of the employee contribution to McDonalds' cheapest health plan (which, in turn, is only available to managers).

I'm sure there are people who are able to work two or more jobs at minimum wage and who do stay afloat, but that budget ain't it.

Oddly enough, I didn't find the numbers for the expenses to be that far off (single with no car living in Canada, so YMMV - my extra health insurance from work is about $16). I did find the income to be inflated. I agree that you would have to work a LOT of hours to make that much money on minimum wage.

I also think they have the usual budget delusions - mainly that people living on next to nothing have tons of extra spending money and waste it all. "If you just bought one less coffee from the coffee shop, if you just didn't go out to eat as much, etc. etc."

If people had that much money to burn, they wouldn't have to work two jobs!

I just have to say that I tend to discount those "helpful hints" that say something like "Make your coffee at home," "Start bringing your lunch" and "Grocery shop with a list."  They assume everyone buys coffee and eats out for lunch everyday and never make a list for the grocery store.  It's a rare thing for me to find money-saving articles that actually have something new and useful in them (some of the time-saving ones, too, like "When you cook, cook for more than one meal").

FauxFoodist

« Reply #926 on: August 05, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
I remember when DH and I got married in 2000, I got a lesson in how cost of living can change from one region to another.  I'd been living in an apartment off campus.  Second story of a Victorian house with 3 good sized bedrooms plus an attic with rooms for storage plus a decent sized kitchen and the rent for this place was $450 a month.   This was in Salisbury, Maryland. 

So when I learned our housing allowance was going to be $690/month, I got excited! Oh, the possibilities! Until I went on apartments.com and looked at apartments in Oceanside, CA.   A one bedroom apartment was $680!  :o  Oy.  We only lived off base for a year though, as once we found out I was expecting my first, we applied for base housing and as fate had it, he was born on the day we were expected to pick up the keys for the house.

Was it a nice apartment you found in Oceanside for $680?  My one-bedroom apartment in Vista (next to Oceanside but inland for those not familiar so Oceanside should've been more expensive given it's adjacent to the ocean) in 2000 started at $780, and I didn't live in a luxury community (it was fairly middle-of-the-road).

siamesecat2965

« Reply #927 on: August 05, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

I just have to say that I tend to discount those "helpful hints" that say something like "Make your coffee at home," "Start bringing your lunch" and "Grocery shop with a list."  They assume everyone buys coffee and eats out for lunch everyday and never make a list for the grocery store.  It's a rare thing for me to find money-saving articles that actually have something new and useful in them (some of the time-saving ones, too, like "When you cook, cook for more than one meal").

Oh I agree. A lot of it is just plain old common sense. The less you spend, the more you have.  that's the philosophy I follow. And shockingly, it works!

Or the "make your own cleaning solution and laundry detergent" and use old rags to clean, vs. paper towels. doesn't work for some of us. I live in an apt and pay to do my laundry, so I suspect its about the same to buy paper towels v. using and washing rags.

Hillia

« Reply #928 on: August 05, 2013, 02:49:24 PM »

Oh I agree. A lot of it is just plain old common sense. The less you spend, the more you have.  that's the philosophy I follow. And shockingly, it works!

Or the "make your own cleaning solution and laundry detergent" and use old rags to clean, vs. paper towels. doesn't work for some of us. I live in an apt and pay to do my laundry, so I suspect its about the same to buy paper towels v. using and washing rags.

There was a popular book many years ago called Your Money or Your Life.  It promoted an approach to financial independence that involved cutting your living expenses to reduce your income requirements.  One tip that made me laugh out loud was 'Don't replace your towels every year'.  Seriously?  I get probably 10 years out of a towel before cutting it up for rags.

Thipu1

« Reply #929 on: August 05, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
'Don't replace your towels every year'? Good grief!

We have a few bar towels that still see good service in the kitchen.  Bought them a few years before our marriage and we've been married since 1983.