Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 132438 times)

daen

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #990 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
My dad haggles at garage sales too, but he haggles UP.   As in:  "you're only asking $1 for that?   C'mon, it's worth at least $5, and I refuse to pay a penny less!"   People think he's quite mad.   :)

That's kind of adorable.

I'm going to start doing that in honor of your Dad  8). He rocks !

I imagine it would be especially fun to do at a fundraiser - bake sale or whatever.
"This devils's food cake? I'll give you $15 for it."
"Um... it's $12."
"Okay, how about $16?"
"The price marked on it is $12."
"Fine. $18. You drive a hard bargain."
"It's only $12, ma'am."
"Okay. $20, and not a penny less. Final offer."
push a $20 into their hand, pick up the devil's food cake and walk away.

Amara

« Reply #991 on: August 11, 2013, 05:59:03 PM »
My dad haggles at garage sales too, but he haggles UP.   As in:  "you're only asking $1 for that?   C'mon, it's worth at least $5, and I refuse to pay a penny less!"   People think he's quite mad.   :)

That's kind of adorable.

I imagine it would be especially fun to do at a fundraiser - bake sale or whatever.
"Um... it's $12."
"Okay, how about $16?"
"It's only $12, ma'am."

Okay, I'm in on this. I'll begin next Saturday at my favorite thrift store. I am looking forward to their reaction.

gmatoy

« Reply #992 on: August 12, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »

My go-to souvenir is a pressed penny. It's cheap, easy to carry and don't take up much room once you get them home. I have some books that display them on my mantle.

Same here. We have fun with them, there is a website http://www.pennycollector.com/ that has locators for them if you want to know where to go when you are on vacation/road tripping / collecting. Also, an M&M mini tube is just the right size for quarters and pennys. We stack them in the tube 2 quarters then a penny so that we always have the right coins for it.

We just went to DC and the penny thing at Mt. Vernon was $1.00 and a penny!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #993 on: August 12, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »

That's kind of adorable.

I do that too. Especially a charity tag sales.

bloo

« Reply #994 on: August 12, 2013, 10:28:22 AM »

That's kind of adorable.

"Um... it's $12."
"Okay, how about $16?"
"It's only $12, ma'am."

Those are all kinds of adorable!

While not exactly the same, I remember going through the papers looking for used furniture 8 or 9 years ago and I was specifically looking for a dining table. My mom and dad came with us to a place to check out a table.

It was gorgeous. Danish mahogany that glowed and had hidden pull-out leaves to quickly and easily extend it to twice its size along with custom-made table covers to protect the wood. The chairs didn't match the table but they were still attractive and good quality. All for $250. The covers alone probably cost $400. The table itself was easily a $1000 table (or more). I am sitting at it right now as I type this out.

We couldn't hand them the money fast enough but my mom pulled me aside and whispered, "Why didn't you haggle? You're supposed to dicker. You could save money!"

I responded, "I AM saving money! The table is worth four times what we're paying! The owners are practically giving it away." I told my mom later I'd have been humiliated to ask, "Would you take $200?" for something so beautiful and perfectly maintained.

However, there's no way I could bring myself to insist they take $1000 for the table, chairs and pads.  ::)

Jules1980

« Reply #995 on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:29 PM »
My dad haggles at garage sales too, but he haggles UP.   As in:  "you're only asking $1 for that?  C'mon, it's worth at least $5, and I refuse to pay a penny less!"   People think he's quite mad.   :)

I had a rummage sale a few years ago and was selling the rings from my first wedding and another ring my ex had given me.  My wedding rings hadn't been worth much when we bought them and the other ring was supposedly a diamond, but since he had bought it from a street vendor in Iraq, it might have just been shiney glass.  I never  got it appraised.  I was selling both for five dollars just to have them gone.  Some lady saw them and insisted on paying me at least 10 each because she thought the stone in the one ring just might be real and for my wedding rings because she said I deserved the ten just for being smart enough to sell them and move on.  LOL.

Kariachi

« Reply #996 on: August 13, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
My dad haggles at garage sales too, but he haggles UP.   As in:  "you're only asking $1 for that?  C'mon, it's worth at least $5, and I refuse to pay a penny less!"   People think he's quite mad.   :)

I had a rummage sale a few years ago and was selling the rings from my first wedding and another ring my ex had given me.  My wedding rings hadn't been worth much when we bought them and the other ring was supposedly a diamond, but since he had bought it from a street vendor in Iraq, it might have just been shiney glass.  I never  got it appraised.  I was selling both for five dollars just to have them gone.  Some lady saw them and insisted on paying me at least 10 each because she thought the stone in the one ring just might be real and for my wedding rings because she said I deserved the ten just for being smart enough to sell them and move on.  LOL.

I don't know for Iraq, but as someone who's bought things from street vendors in Turkey, it might have been real.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #997 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:51 PM »
I had to learn frugally many years ago, because my salary forced me to.  Now that I don't have to, I certainly live well within my means, and it didn't scar me to the point that I am using some of the methods described here (I may not wear makeup beyond lipstick, but I do have monthly facials).

Years ago, I made regular pilgrimages to Salvation Army, and I found a great one I still go to today.  It is on the outskirts of a very well off suburb, and I once flipped through the racks, and found 5 silk blouses going at $2 each.  And these were real silk, and in great shape.  It is not uncommon to see designer clothes, and even furs in decent shape.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #998 on: August 17, 2013, 09:23:42 AM »
I had to learn frugally many years ago, because my salary forced me to.  Now that I don't have to, I certainly live well within my means, and it didn't scar me to the point that I am using some of the methods described here (I may not wear makeup beyond lipstick, but I do have monthly facials).

Years ago, I made regular pilgrimages to Salvation Army, and I found a great one I still go to today.  It is on the outskirts of a very well off suburb, and I once flipped through the racks, and found 5 silk blouses going at $2 each.  And these were real silk, and in great shape.  It is not uncommon to see designer clothes, and even furs in decent shape.

Same here.  I pack my lunch for work almost exclusively. I shop sales and use coupons.  I buy probably 95% of my clothes at thrift stores, but I have no problem dropping $100 a month on manicure, pedicures and waxing, buying my favorite Mary Kay products, or spending $300 on shoes if that's want I really want.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #999 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:20 AM »

Same here.  I pack my lunch for work almost exclusively. I shop sales and use coupons.  I buy probably 95% of my clothes at thrift stores, but I have no problem dropping $100 a month on manicure, pedicures and waxing, buying my favorite Mary Kay products, or spending $300 on shoes if that's want I really want.

I do the same. some things I spend money on, others may scoff at, but they have their own "indulgances" One of mine is makeup; I can't wear the inexpensive stuff, aside from mascara. so i spend a lot on it.  but skimp on other things.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1000 on: August 17, 2013, 07:53:01 PM »
I was able to score some amazing bargains last week. I bought 6 blouses for work from Old Navy, on sale, then with a discount code, for $77 including shipping. I then found Teva shoes at an outlet online, and was able to get 3 pairs for $55, which is less than the amount I paid for the first pair I ever bought.

Homemade breakfast, lunch and dinner enabled each of those purchases and this week I will be rolling out a different new blouse every day!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1001 on: August 17, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
I was able to score some amazing bargains last week. I bought 6 blouses for work from Old Navy, on sale, then with a discount code, for $77 including shipping. I then found Teva shoes at an outlet online, and was able to get 3 pairs for $55, which is less than the amount I paid for the first pair I ever bought.

Homemade breakfast, lunch and dinner enabled each of those purchases and this week I will be rolling out a different new blouse every day!

I got some tanks from Chicos online last week, $10 each, plus 10% off for signing up for emails. cheap shipping too! I like theirs as they offer a bit more coverage than most, adn are longer too

Jones

« Reply #1002 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
So this weekend I realized I could utilize leftover baby food jars to make lunchbox-size portions of applesauce and pudding, instead of buying and using miniature lidded cups (that tend to disappear) at the dollar store for that purpose.

Just wish I had realized that when we were using baby food, and could have saved more jars.

Maybe I'll see how pudding in a ziplock bag would work out...

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1003 on: August 18, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
Could we please get back to the cheapskate stories?

Jones

« Reply #1004 on: August 18, 2013, 08:29:09 PM »
I thought mine was a cheapskate story, on myself.  :-[