News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 02:21:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 552306 times)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1755 on: April 24, 2017, 06:34:28 AM »
Don't hotels have rules about how many people are allowed to use a hotel room?

Yep, and explaining the reasoning "fire code sets the limits" gets huge scoffs and arguments about how ***they*** won't tell.  Too bad so sad. We're still not breaking fire code for you.

Back when I worked at a different hotel -a small boutique hotel- their least expensive room would fit two adults and a baby at most.  If their crib was tiny.  I had someone call up once and try to book it for seven people. I said no. Then they said fine, they'd get the next size up. Maximum occupancy of those is 5. I said no again. "But we can't afford a room that's big enough for all seven of us! Give us a break; it's really expensive to go on vacation when you have 5 kids!" Not our problem, the answer's still no. They very very grudgingly booked the room they needed to be in.
Nothing to see here.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #1756 on: April 24, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
They very very grudgingly booked the room they needed to be in.

Probably much to the relief of those five kids.  I well recall how much it sucked to be on the receiving end of my parents' cheapness.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1757 on: April 24, 2017, 07:17:41 PM »
A few of my relatives have tried horning in on my vacation for next year. I'm going on a cruise, and the room I'm in is for 2 people. If you want to go, get your passport and book a cabin yourself. I'm going with my DH, not you.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #1758 on: April 24, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »
I don't believe there's ANY freebies on a cruise ship, is there?  You can't sneak on board, you can't sneak under the wire and without your passport, there's just no way to DO that.  And to attempt to horn in on a couple's bedroom on board??  Idon'tTHINKso...  That's some nerve.
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

NFPwife

« Reply #1759 on: April 25, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

OR, they could have just paid the same amount as the rest of us and avoided a massive hassle in order to save a couple bucks  ::) Also, Sis thinks they got bedbugs from their motel, so, :P

Sis has many odd ways of "being thrifty" that generally don't end up being money-saving techniques (or very valuable.) She's a big fan of pirated movies too, which, as someone who works in a creative field, makes me NUTS. (Plus, I hate watching shaky lo-res videos.) Last year she called me in a panic because her hair was super messed up--because she likes to go to the cosmetology school for beauty stuff. Which I would do too, for easy stuff, but what she wanted them to do was fairly complex, and something I wouldn't trust first-year students with. She ended up spending 10+ hours over two days to get it done, and then fixed (she also had to take a personal day at work.) But, hey, it was cheap.

I have family members like this. ONe in particular, who i do get along with, and went on vacation with a few years back. a 10 hour drive from her (4.5 from me so i had extra driving). We rented a beach condo from a friend of mine, who gave us a great deal, and let us use their towels and beach chairs, so we didn't have to bring them with us.

Good thing since she shopped til she dropped and we literally had no space in the car on the way home.

But the cheapskate part was she was (now retired) in the military. So her plan, or thought, was to drive to the nearest commissary so we didn't have to pay tax on groceries!!!!  and the plan was, breakfast and lunch in the condo, when we were there, and dinner out. so for 6 days, not a lot of groceries are needed...just enough for breakfast, sandwiches etc. and maybe some snacks. Nearest commissary was a good hour away! Um no, just no. i am not going to drive all over the place just to save a few dollars in tax. Fortunately, i looked and in that state, no sales tax on food. But really???? not to mention the time spent getting there and back! i suspect since she likes to shop at the PX, and is a compulsive shopper, it was also a ploy to go and see what they had there. Sorry, but i am not on vacation so you can shop.

Same relative, this time with her now DH, went to a wedding out of state for the daughter of one of her cousins. Other side of the family. Her brother and SIL also went, and the reception was in a fancy hotel...think 5 star. Her brother and SIL did their homework, and while the reception hotel was pricy, it was convenient, parking and breakfast were included, so they booked that one. SIL can also be frugal, but not like the other one. me? I would have paid whatever for the convenience.

Anyway, said relative decided that was too much to pay, and booked some cheap hotel, a mile or less away...just to save like $50. SIL had researched but the reviews for this one were just so so. So at the end of the night, relative and DH decide to walk back to their hotel, she in heels, both not quite sober, and through a not so nice area. Just to save money. woudn't even call a cab!!!

Yet she thinks nothing of spending 1K in a day shopping. i don' get it.

I don't know if I'd call the bolded hotel incident "cheap." Mainly because they didn't inconvenience anyone but themselves, they didn't try to get into anyone else's room to spend the night, change clothes or touch up hair or make-up. They walked a mile themselves and both seemed to not mind that, then I think it comes down to preference and how much you're willing to pay for convenience.

For instance, when we go to NYC, sometimes we stay in Secaucus NJ because the hotels are less expensive -- in terms of dollars and hotels points. But, that involves taking the bus into the city. Not that inconvenient and "worth it" except for the two trips that involve schlepping the luggage, then... not so much. So, I'll look at the hotels right in Manhattan and in Long Island City. Long Island City is only 10-20% more (money or points) so we tend to stay there. I've recommended my "go-to" hotel to relatives and they don't think the price difference is worth it. It doesn't make them cheap , they just have a different tipping point on what makes something "worth it."

Thipu1

« Reply #1760 on: April 26, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
A few of my relatives have tried horning in on my vacation for next year. I'm going on a cruise, and the room I'm in is for 2 people. If you want to go, get your passport and book a cabin yourself. I'm going with my DH, not you.

I would dearly love to know how they intend to do this.

Even when we're visiting a ship for a tour and lunch we have to provide passport numbers in advance.  When we arrive at the pier we must surrender our IDs and receive a pass to be worn on board.  There is no way to smuggle extra people aboard.   

Mustard

« Reply #1761 on: April 26, 2017, 10:17:53 AM »

Even when we're visiting a ship for a tour and lunch we have to provide passport numbers in advance.  When we arrive at the pier we must surrender our IDs and receive a pass to be worn on board.  There is no way to smuggle extra people aboard.   

It's quite likely the rellies haven't given this much thought... It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when they tried it on though!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1762 on: April 26, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »

It's quite likely the rellies haven't given this much thought... It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall when they tried it on though!

They are under the mistaken impression that I can just add them to the cabin as additional guest. Sometimes that is true, but it depends on how many people the cabin is allowed to accommodate. You can't book 6 people in a max capacity of 4 people cabin, for example. Even if I could add extra people to the cabin, I don't want to share such a small place with anyone other than my husband. I might make an exception for my mother or one of my sibs, but I still souldn't want more than two people per cabin.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

miranova

« Reply #1763 on: April 26, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
There is still an additional cost for additional people in the cabin.  It's not like a hotel room, because you are also getting meals and entertainment etc for all people.  I've actually never seen an option on a cruise that lets you add additional people for no charge, but of course I haven't had access to every offer out there.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1764 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
There is still an additional cost for additional people in the cabin.  It's not like a hotel room, because you are also getting meals and entertainment etc for all people.  I've actually never seen an option on a cruise that lets you add additional people for no charge, but of course I haven't had access to every offer out there.

Oh, no, if there was a way to add them on, there would be a charge. It's not as much as getting a whole cabin, but it's not cheap either.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #1765 on: April 27, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »

They are under the mistaken impression that I can just add them to the cabin as additional guest. Sometimes that is true, but it depends on how many people the cabin is allowed to accommodate. You can't book 6 people in a max capacity of 4 people cabin, for example. Even if I could add extra people to the cabin, I don't want to share such a small place with anyone other than my husband. I might make an exception for my mother or one of my sibs, but I still souldn't want more than two people per cabin.
What cruise line allows you to book 6 people in a cabin that is supposed to max out at 4? Where do they think the extra 2 will sleep? I'm imagining loads of people camping out on deck chairs at night.  ;)

siamesecat2965

« Reply #1766 on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »

Not only that, as you probalby know, its not like a hotel room, where you can have one or more in a room and the rate is the same. Cruise cabins you pay for each person, and they will only allow the number allowed in each. I have friends who cruised with 3 in a cabin, first two were regular4 fare, third reduced, so they just split the entire cost in 3.

me? i'm with you. i'll share a cabin with a friend, and only certain ones. but no more.