Author Topic: Google fu needed  (Read 618 times)

perpetua

Google fu needed
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
Note: I'm not looking for medical advice, purely google fu.

I'm trying to find information about the times between triggers and the start of a migraine.

I can't seem to get the phrasing right on Google to turn up the information I need.

I've tried things like "time between trigger and migraine", "time from trigger to migraine", "how long from trigger to migraine", "migraine lead time", etc etc, all with quotes and without; I've tried them substituting "hours" for time, and all manner of things, but I'm just not getting any decent results.

Can anyone help me find the right wording? I figure people must be talking about this somewhere on the net.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: Google fu needed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Maybe you could find something here:  http://forums.healthcentral.com/discussion/migraine/forums/a/frm/f/1781015

When I'm stuck on something like this, I go more general rather than more specific. So I find a website devoted to what I'm looking for, and dig around in there.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

breny

perpetua

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Thanks MrsJWine, I'll check that out.

Breny, thanks, but I'm already aware of the phases and my pattern in that regard. I'm looking for that very specific bit of information, ie, how long it is between ingesting a trigger and the attack starting, because I'm trying to track down my triggers.

breny

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
When I search for prodrome or prodomal phase migraine the general results I'm getting say that it can be 2 hours to 2 days from trigger to headache. Is that helpful?

perpetua

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »
Very, thanks :)

breny

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
Great! You're welcome.

dawbs

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 05:28:36 PM »
I found some info w/ "time lapse between trigger and migraine"
(ex:
http://www.migrainereliefblog.com/i-ate-a-trigger-food/)

Honestly, IME, there's nothing super consistent.
If I'm close to my 'migraine threshold',  the trigger works fast.  If I'm far from it, it won't trigger it or it'll be long delayed in triggering.  So I don't know that you'll find consistent info or a consistent pattern.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:12:53 PM »
Google fu won't help you find it because its different for everyone.  In order to find out what your triggers are, you are going to have to do the work.

I've had migraines since I was 8.  My pediatrician made me keep a notebook of everything I did for a month.  I had to put down when I ate, what I ate, when I went to bed, when I took a nap, what activities I did, when I had a migraine, where there any auras or other symptoms before I the migraine hit, etc.  I learned a lot about my migraines by doing that.  I would recommend you do the same.

perpetua

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 01:57:39 AM »
Google fu won't help you find it because its different for everyone.  In order to find out what your triggers are, you are going to have to do the work.

I've had migraines since I was 8.  My pediatrician made me keep a notebook of everything I did for a month.  I had to put down when I ate, what I ate, when I went to bed, when I took a nap, what activities I did, when I had a migraine, where there any auras or other symptoms before I the migraine hit, etc.  I learned a lot about my migraines by doing that.  I would recommend you do the same.

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I am looking for the right phrase of words to put into Google to direct me to where people are talking about this on the internet. I am not looking for medical advice lest the thread get locked.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:59:19 AM »

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. I am looking for the right phrase of words to put into Google to direct me to where people are talking about this on the internet. I am not looking for medical advice lest the thread get locked.

ah I see.  I have a folder of Migraine related sites.  I'll have to see if any of them talk about triggers. 

amylouky

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »
http://www.mvertigo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3371&start=0

This is an older thread and not many replies but it looks like an active forum, maybe you could post your specific questions there?