Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 2019 times)

LilacGirl1983

Just wondering
« on: March 31, 2013, 05:46:03 PM »
If you are asked to bring a side to a family get together..who's responsibility is it to clean the dishes of said dish? I brought buns that were cooked over at family's house and they were sent back home with me to wash..she was washing her own dishes..But just put my pans in a bag when it was time to go for me to clean at home..When I asked she said "Oh you can clean them at home"

sidi-ji

Re: Just wondering
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 05:52:26 PM »
 :o  ??? ::)

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:37 PM »
It could go either way.with me.  Some people are particular about how they clean their stuff. I personally as a hosts will ask if I can wash it for them.

CakeEater

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »
:o  ??? ::)

Very eloquently put!

I've taken home dishes dirty before, but only when I've offered because I want to leave and dishes haven't been washed yet, or there's pretty baked on mess that requires soaking.

Usually dishes would be washed with the others before taking them home.

Curious Cat

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »
For something like bread or buns I would expect to clean it myself at home.  For something greasy I would expect to clean it myself at the host house.  I don't know that I have ever expected someone else to wash my dishes. Frankly, I would feel horrible that I made more work for the host.

Pen^2

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 08:22:05 PM »
I dislike taking a dirty dish home with me--especially if it was a messy dessert, like trifle or something, then it will get me messy on the way back. I've always asked if I can wash it (and often I'll offer to wash other dishes while I'm at it) while I'm at the host's house, once the food on it is finished. I make sure the kitchen is left the way I found it, also.

If someone won't let me even rinse a dish at their house, then I'd decide that it's not worth the trouble to bring a dish again, or I'd bring a tacky but disposable plastic/paper one. If that means the host won't want me attending (e.g. it has to be a proper plate, or, you have to bring an item to be allowed to attend), then so be it. They have the right not to want me to turn on the tap in their kitchen, but I equally have the right not to get custard on my nicest dress.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
I wouldn't want to put dirty dishes in the car in most cases.  I think that unless the owner says "Oh, I'll just wash those at home" the dishes should be washed there.

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
If I host, I just put evereything in the dishwasher, unless the persin specifically said something, I'd never end home a dirty dish.

peaches

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 08:57:10 PM »
It could go either way.with me.  Some people are particular about how they clean their stuff. I personally as a hosts will ask if I can wash it for them.

POD

I have some serving dishes that I never put into the dishwasher.

Same for sbaking pans.  Aluminum baking pans can be damaged by dishwasher detergent, and all of my cake pans are aluminum.

I intervene on behalf of my dishes.

And I don't make assumptions about other people's dishes and pans. I ask.

EllenS

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
It depends, for me, on a couple of factors -
Are there any leftovers?  Does the bringer wish to take them home or leave them?
How soon will we see each other again? Do they want to take their dish now, or get it from me later?

I don't do dishes while I have guests - I socialize with my guests and clean the kitchen later, unless it is my immediate family.

If the dish is still in the kitchen when I'm cleaning up- or if they leave leftovers, then I return the clean dish later.  If they want to take the dish home that night, they take it dirty.

Of course, if anyone asked I would be happy to wash it for them, but I have never had that happen.  After all, if guests are bringing dishes I am not really a "hostess" in the fullest sense - it is a co-operative party which is at my house.

reflection5

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
I would wash, or at least rinse off the dish.  Of course, the person mosy likely washed it again when they get home.  Something about sending someone home with a dirty dish would bother me.

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 10:21:53 PM »
If I'm hosting, I normally wash any dishes that my guests bring, if the dish is empty then I would probably just wash it without even saying anything.  If there's food left, then I'll ask if they want to take it home in the dish, or take it home in a Ziploc container, or throw it out.  If I empty the dish, then I'll wash it for them.

If I'm the guest at someones house, I would expect them to either wash it or at least give me the option to wash it myself.  I'm picky enough, that I'd wash it there and then wash it again at home.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »
If there are leftovers I'd send the dish home with the food still in it (covered and refrigerated). If the dish was empty I'd hand wash it. At someone else's house I'd expect the same for my dish. To be handed a dirty dish and told to wash it at home wouldn't be a friendship killer but I'd probably bring something disposable to future get-togethers.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:26 PM »
I don't mind either taking a dish home with me or cleaning it there.  My MIL will send us home with clean dishes if the container we bring is all eaten up, or she'll recover it and hand it to us before we leave along with other leftovers. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Promise

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »
If it gets cleaned, great. If not, I don't get offended. I've lost dishes at potlucks or large gathering when the people doing the washing assume everyone wants their things washed and then don't know what lids go with what bowls. I've lost spoons and other serving equipment. I prefer to take plastic grocery bags to put dirty dishes in and wash them at home.